NEWS

Load Times

• 86 Replies

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #45 on: <07-28-15/0418:53> »
Someone needs to feed the server hamsters again...
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #46 on: <07-28-15/0731:26> »
Really? I haven't noticed any of the speed/load issues we used to have...

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #47 on: <07-28-15/1349:37> »
Speeds seem pretty good to me as well.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: <07-28-15/1635:54> »
This morning it was slow for a while, but now it's back up again.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #49 on: <07-28-15/1845:39> »
Hmmmm.... just every now and then the site has a lot of trouble loading pages. Was pretty bad for that yesterday.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <07-29-15/0744:32> »
I saw page loading issues earlier this week as well, I don't have specific times.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

adamu

« Reply #51 on: <04-06-16/1625:49> »
Hate to revive this thread, but this is still a huge problem for me.

I have it at home, on my mobile, and even at work (where the computers are, like, badass).
So I am thinking it is not just me?
Or is it?

I am computer stupid, but is there a fix in sight - waiting two or three minutes a lot of times for a page to load, which really slows down my GM chores.

Some days better others - today hasn't been quite as bad.

Thanks to anyone that reads this!

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #52 on: <04-06-16/1712:17> »
I'm not at two or three minutes, but my loads here are frequently noticeably slower than pretty much any other site I visit.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #53 on: <04-07-16/0928:04> »
I've been experiencing this sporadically over the last week or two as well. Strangely enough, today, things seem to be working quite well.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #54 on: <04-15-16/1623:09> »
This has definitely been a problem for me for the past 10 days or so.  I know a few other posters have mentioned it in a few of the threads I'm in.

Pure speculation puts this as a caching/DB performance problem.  HTTP is responding just fine.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <04-15-16/2101:53> »
Don't know what causes this sluggishness, but I do know that every couple of months it just gets ridiculously slow in comparison to just about every other website on the net. They'll get it fixed and then a couple months later it's right back to being slow again.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

adamu

« Reply #56 on: <04-18-16/1742:18> »
Yes. Exactly.

There are times I have to just economize time by clicking on something, then going and doing something else useful, then coming back, writing, hitting post, then off I go again to do something else IRL or on another site for five minutes (and sometimes the new page still hasn't come up!).

It's literally having a chilling effect on the amount of time I'm spending on this site.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #57 on: <04-19-16/1024:36> »
Don't know what causes this sluggishness, but I do know that every couple of months it just gets ridiculously slow in comparison to just about every other website on the net. They'll get it fixed and then a couple months later it's right back to being slow again.

That sounds like a server/database maintenance issue more than anything else.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #58 on: <04-20-16/1745:30> »
Right now the forum performance is fairly horrible again. I'm clicking a link and have to wait about 30 seconds before anything even starts to happen, sometimes it takes even longer than.

And I'm just reading not doing anything crazy.

I agree with PeterSmith, this feels like a database issue somehow. Is the forum software maybe not relinquishing server connections to the SQL server properly when it's done with a session or something like that? (usually shouldn't happen because the SQL Server has a timeout setting too, but maybe that's not working right)

Databases are usually really good at handling huge amounts of data, so it's likely not "there's just too much in there", also then it wouldn't get better again.

Whatever it is, there's definitely a bottleneck somewhere, and something hogging all the database access would certainly qualify.
The fact that it seems to pop up in (more or less) regular intervals suggests it's some kind of "memory leak" issue, where some resources aren't properly freed up again, even though they're not in use anymore.

Irn0rchid

• Omae
« Reply #59 on: <05-13-16/2103:00> »
This is still a pretty annoying issue. They said on twitter that they're planning a server upgrade, but no ETA, so...