NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #735 on: <10-04-13/0907:34> »
Question got asked before, I think Aaron pondered an answer in another topic. As for why two: Plugging 2 different pieces of equipment into them, getting 1 Noise Reduction on each?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

martinchaen

« Reply #736 on: <10-04-13/0914:56> »
Michael; duly noted. I tried using the search function, but I couldn't find a clear answer. Also, I just noticed the fact that Quantum Princess has two of the buggers (heh), and wondered what that would mean for her if it ever came to a GM playing her in the CZ.

Also, since Noise Reduction is a wireless bonus that applies to all gear the runner is using (as per a previous answer in this thread), the Noise Reduction does not apply to "just" what's plugged into the datajack. How else would one explain that a runner with an implanted commlink AND datajack receives a noise reduction bonus, when the commlink clearly isn't plugged into the jack?

I'll try searching again, but I would very much appreciate it if Aaron had another go at this one. Cheers!

[EDIT]
Well, would you lookat that, I actually found it: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=12597.msg232959#msg232959
« Last Edit: <10-04-13/1001:27> by martinchaen »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #737 on: <10-04-13/0935:04> »
Noise Reduction is a wireless bonus that applies to all gear the runner is using (as per a previous answer in this thread)
I looked but cannot find an answer supporting that the Noise Reduction of a Datajack would apply to all gear, rather than solely the item implanted into it. Aaron might be able to give you an official clarification or an argument himself, I'll stay out of that debate.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #738 on: <10-04-13/0956:44> »
you have 2 jacks to hardwire 2 devices at once.

(you only need 1 jack to get the wireless bonus).

If wireless bonus of the jack stack (not very likely) then i would get 8-10 jacks and never worry about noise ever again. Even when hacking devices on the other side of the world.

martinchaen

« Reply #739 on: <10-04-13/1001:15> »
See answer from Aaron in other thread:
I see no reason why a second data jack wouldn't offer extra signal scrubbing, and neither have any of the other freelancers I've asked. I figure you've bought the thing with Essence and nuyen, so knock yourself out.

Also, his answer in this thread indicates that the Noise Reduction affects the gear a person is using, not just whatever is plugged in (which would be directly connected anyway, so what's the point of the wireless datajack bonus except to provide Noise Reduction for all gear the runner is using).
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=11514.msg239527#msg239527
« Last Edit: <10-04-13/1005:17> by martinchaen »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #740 on: <10-04-13/1020:08> »
Ah, so elsewhere. Yes, I know he made those comments. Like I said, staying out of that debate.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #741 on: <10-04-13/1043:58> »
...so what's the point...
you have 2 jacks to hardwire 2 devices at once.
you can't hack a device that is directly connected with a wire.
with 2 jacks you can directly connect two devices.

do you have a link to the character that have two data jacks?

IF wireless bonus stack (unlikely) THEN all deckers would have multiple jacks.
Hacking any device in the world and in any spam or static zone without suffering noise penalty(?!)
- Yes please.

martinchaen

« Reply #742 on: <10-04-13/1049:19> »
Last post on the subject for my sake, as my original question has been answered.

Michael; Duly noted. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction re: quote from Aaron!

Xenon, see quotes from and links to posts made by Aaron above.

As for the character, it's Quantum Princess, contact from the Season 5 SRM prep files. Get them for free at http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/119272/Shadowrun-Missions-Season-5-Prep-Files

"Augmentations:Beta Cybereyes Rating 4 [Flare Comp, Image Link, Lowlight, Smartlink, Thermo, Vision Enhancement 3,
Vision Mag], Beta Datajack x 2, Beta Skilljack Rating 5"

martinchaen

« Reply #743 on: <10-04-13/1416:38> »
Q: Hydraulic Jacks (page 457) add their Rating to your limit for certain physical tests, but the wireless bonus is a fixed +1 dice pool; is this a typo and should the wireless bonus also be dependent on Rating, or is the dice pool bonus intended to always be +1?

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #744 on: <10-04-13/1726:55> »
Statement: Only natural recovery can remove drain/fading damage, no medkits or magic can heal it.
Question: can boosts to natural healing, increase the natural healing dicepool and thereby assist in removing more drain/fading?
like medicine (and medicine boosted with medkits) increase body/willpower spells(as long as they are active during the whole natural recovery period, improved attribute body, rapid healing etc.

My reasoning: first aid with medkit uses are applied directly towards removing damage and therefor cant be used at healing drain. While medicine+medkit use doesnt heal any damage at all. (But gives an increased recovery pool, when the natural recovery test is taken) so even though many of those mentioned are either technological or magic, none of them actually "heals" any drain. 

martinchaen

« Reply #745 on: <10-05-13/1525:33> »
Q: How are cybertorsos and cyberskulls treated if they are shells instead of limbs, as stated on page 455?
In other words, how are they treated for the purposes of:
1) having their own STR and AGI attributes
2) being a particular limb used for a test
3) being coordinated with arms and legs for a task
4) being enhanced with STR, AGI, and armor modifications
5) adding 1 physical condition monitor box
6) any other specific mention of "cyberlimb" in the book

Since they are specifically mention to be shells rather than replacements, what effect does this have in terms of game mechanics?

Q: Since cyberlimbs have their own attributes, do you use their attributes to calculate limits when using them for a test, either individually, as an average, or as the weakest limb?
Since cyberlimbs are augmentations, and augmentations can affect limits (as per page 100 under Final Calculations, "since many [derived mechanics] are adjusted by augmentations"), it logically follows that when a cyberlimb is used in a test they affect the relevant limit for that test. Otherwise, the rules become rather inconsistent.

Example A: A character with STR and AGI 3, and a single cyberarm with STR and AGI 6 fires a pistol one-handed. Does he get 1 or 2 points of Recoil Compensation, and rolls 3 or 6 + Pistols skill, using the accuracy of his pistol?
Example B: The same character throws a punch, leading the attack with his cyberarm and counting as using a particular limb for a test. Does he roll 3 or 6 + Unarmed skill, does he do 3P or 6P unmodified-DV, and is his physical limit calculated with 3 or 6 STR?

If the limb is not counted for the purposes of limits, then the mechanics have the potential to work out rather unfairly for the character who uses cyberlimbs for anything where physical limits are imposed.

deek

• Newb
« Reply #746 on: <10-05-13/2147:43> »
On page 184, under Active Targeting, it mentions a vehicle/drone could break sensor contact with an Evade Detection action, but there is no other mention of such an action in the book. I can basically figure out it is just another Opposed Sensor Test, this time initiated by the vehicle/drone being targeted.  Since a normal Sensor Test is a Simple Action, is the Evade Detection also a Simple Action?

martinchaen

« Reply #747 on: <10-05-13/2228:01> »
Q: When firing at a barrier, does penetrating weapons bypass the Structure + Armor rating test of the "Shooting through barriers" rules on page 197?

The example on page 198 seem to indicate this, but the rules seemingly contradict each other.

Q: Is surprise a situational event, or does it apply every time a combat is started?
Since Surprise is listed under Special Actions, it is my belief that surprise is situational and is applied as the GM sees fit, rather than at all times.

Q: What does being Unaware of an attack entail, and when can it occur?
The rules on defenders being unaware seems contradictory; on one hand, page 189 states that being unaware results in "no defense possible", while also stating that it "does not apply to defenders who are already engaged in combat" and then referencing the Superior Position rule on page 187. Furthermore, characters in cover gain a defense pool equal to the cover, +2 or +4. How should this rule be interpreted?
« Last Edit: <10-06-13/0122:17> by martinchaen »

Cyber-Dave

• Chummer
« Reply #748 on: <10-06-13/0122:09> »
Is the listing for bows of 0-STR short range distance intentional? It seems very odd. First of all, it seems like a bows range should be based on its rank, not a character's STR. Second of all, based on all other existing patterns of progression, it seems like a bows short range should be Rank*2 or Rank*3, not 0-Rank (or STR). I mean, why does a bow have such a worse short range than a crossbow? For that matter, why does a bow and a thrown weapon have the same short range? That can't be right, can it? Is this a case of something needing errata, or is this intentional? And, if it is intentional, what is the logic?

Answers, in order:
Yes. That's not a question. That's not a question either. Neither is that. Crossbows typically have a stronger pull than bows. Bows are fired in an arc, and that arc starts sooner than you think. Yes it can. It's intentional. The drop on a fired arrow starts out pretty quick; it's been my experience that even a three-meter shot doesn't go directly where you aim it on a bow with a thirty-pound draw (Rating 3-ish).

Cool. Thanks for the response! I have another question, on another subject.

Question: right now, there does not seem to be a reason to use autofire against a foe when you have surprised that foe, unless you are looking to divide multiple attacks up against the target; are there any plans to grant slight errata to the "rate of fire" rules so that there is some reason to burst fire or autofire against a surprised target when you only want to make a single attack against the target, or does the development team feel that the current benefit (in the form of being able to make multiple attacks against a target that cannot defend) is enough?
« Last Edit: <10-06-13/0734:48> by Cyber-Dave »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #749 on: <10-07-13/0829:06> »
Since they are specifically mention to be shells rather than replacements...
Despite being a shell rather than a limb; both skull and toros are still Cyberlimbs, they are still listed in the Cyberlimbs table and still use Cyberlimbs rules.

(unless a more detailed rule say so; melee cyberguns for example can only be installed in cyberarms. That mean you can not install them in cyberlegs, cybertorso or cyberskull).

...do you use their attributes to calculate limits when using them for a test, either individually, as an average, or as the weakest limb?
There are 3 options here. It depend on the test.

1) Shooting a light pistol use the agility and strength of the arm and the limit of your weapon even if the rest of your body have higher or lower agility, strength or physical limit.

2) Shooting an assault rifle use the average agility and strength of your left and your right arm (round up) and the limit of your weapon even if the rest of your body have higher or lower agility, strength or physical limit.

3) Using your arms to lift something really heavy from the ground use the weakest rating of your right leg, left leg, torso, left arm and right arm. Since this is an attribute test there is no limit so for this test it does not matter what your physical limit is.

Q: Is surprise a situational event...
Yes.
If there is a surprise situation it is most often at start of combat but combat can start without anyone taking a surprise test. GM can also call for a surprise test after combat started.

Q: What does being Unaware of an attack entail...
Defender does not roll reaction + intuition when defending against an attack. If defender is behind cover then defender roll a total dice pool of 2 dice for 25-50% cover or 4 dice for >50% cover.

...and when can it occur?
When defender is unaware of the attacker. For example melee successfully sneak up behind the character before combat started, Ranged attack from behind, Sniper from far far away, Defender can't see the attacker due to total darkness or being fully concealed behind cover.

A surprised character also fall under this category but only against targets he is surprised by.

...characters in cover gain a defense pool equal to the cover, +2 or +4. How should this rule be interpreted?
A character that is unaware of the attacker (see above) will not roll reaction + intuition when defending against an attack. He does, however, still roll a total dice pool of 2 dice if he got 25-50% cover or 4 dice if he got >50% cover.
« Last Edit: <10-07-13/0840:55> by Xenon »