NEWS

Shadowrun 5 Errata

• 560 Replies

忍

« Reply #465 on: <05-12-17/1507:43> »
Perhaps you'd use whatever Counterspelling dice you might have to "defend" and result in net hits?

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #466 on: <05-18-17/0013:42> »
Page 190, Targeted by an Area-Effect Attack
TARGETED BY AN
AREA-EFFECT ATTACK
Dodging explosions is not as easy as it seems in the
movies. Apply a –2 modifier when trying to defend
against weapons like spells, grenades, rockets, or missiles
with a blast or area effect.

This was brought up several times in the past, and Aaron (former errata guy at sr5 release?) clarified it in this post
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=11514.msg238426#msg238426

So - did we ever get any clarification from Gen Con... Did players get to take a defense test [of some sort] against grenades and indirect LOS (A) spells?

Yes we did: there's no defense test against grenades, indirect LOS (A) spells, and other "zones of damage." The defense against these attacks is to take precautions against them. This is really really really true, and been confirmed by multiple sources inside the company. So unless there's been a meeting somewhere to which I wasn't privy, you really really honestly and truly don't get to make a defense test against grenades or indirect LOS (A) spells.

but it doesn't seem to have ever been made official, other than the statement made in this post..  any updates?
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #467 on: <05-18-17/0331:13> »
Explosives with an internal motion sensor trigger use a standard attack roll (and defence roll). Thus, there are situations in which you can roll defence against grenades, rockets, missiles with a blast area, and there are certainly spells that offer a defence roll.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #468 on: <05-20-17/0129:39> »
Skilljacks were listed in Chrome Flesh to cost Rating * 10,000¥, but the SR5 reprint still lists them as Rating * 20,000¥. Which is correct?

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #469 on: <05-24-17/1331:11> »
I've pondered a while if this would qualify as 'actual' Errata, but given that what's in this thread might eventually be in the book:
Page 283 lists:
So you don’t really need to be able to see the target—you can
cast these spells blindfolded or with artificial image enhancement—
as long as you’ve got a clear line of fire.
which people have used to argue that firing them through goggles or the like would result in blindfire penalties. I personally think that's ridiculous, but could the sentence maybe be changed to something like 'visibility modifiers like weapon attacks' or something?
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #470 on: <06-12-17/1109:44> »
Adept Powers are limited to the maximum levels of the power or your MAG value, whichever is lower. How does this interact with free levels granted by Mentor Spirits and Qi Foci? Does a Power Focus affect it?

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #471 on: <06-24-17/1322:33> »
First Aid:

Along with it not being entirely clear if the medkit rating adds to the maximum number of boxes healed per test (here, here, and here), the Core rule book isn't very clear on how to handle the rolls.

On page 205 it says that First Aid can be used to heal Stun or Physical.  Okay.  Page 206 says that First Aid can only be used on a set of wounds once.  Okay. 

Q:  What if you are using First Aid on someone with both Physical and Stun damage?  Are you permitted a roll for each condition monitor?  If you are only allowed one roll, can you at least divide the hits as you see fit between them?

Page 205 also says that healing someone in full body armor reduces the effect in half.  Alright.

Q:  Does that include treating Stun damage?  If so, should that also be applied to using a Stim Patch on someone in full body armor?

(EDITed: to slip in a missing word.)
« Last Edit: <06-24-17/1605:22> by Iron Serpent Prince »

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #472 on: <06-24-17/1357:03> »
Languages:

Languages are something of a mess.  I get it, 5e tried to streamline the language rules from prior editions.  It doesn't help that all the games I have played pretty much reduced language rules to the binary "you understand / don't understand what is said" with nothing else.

But the new rules also open up a bunch of holes.

Q:  Can you take a specialization in a Native language?  Example:  As a Native English Speaker, can I specialize in City Speak?  What happens then - am I considered a Native City Speak speaker / reader?

Q:  What if I am a Native Japanese speaker - can I specialize in Creole?  (Thus making me a Native level Creole speaker / reader.)

Jargon transcends language, and doesn't fit well within a language specialization.  Example:  Military Jargon.  JAFO, NATO, SNAFU, FUBAR, etc. aren't exactly limited to language, nor automatically understood by someone who speaks that same base language.

Unfortunately, my best suggestions are not any less complicated.

But I would suggest releasing a downloadable PDF of the the previous editions Language Family charts.

The simplest suggestion I have is to (along with the Family Chart) just make languages a proficiency, rather than a full fledged skill.  Something like:
Unskilled
Practitioner
Fluency
Proficiency level 0     
Proficiency level 1     
Proficiency level 2     
No test possible
Social Skill Limit is 1/2 Social Limit (round down)
Social Skill Limit is the full Social Limit

Characters would get one free Fluency at character creation, and a second one with the Bi-Lingual Quality.
Proficiency levels would cost (off the top of my head) 7 Karma, and 1 month training each.

You can use another language proficiency if it falls within the same family, but your Limit is reduced by half (round down) again.  So a Practitioner using a different language in the same family would have a Limit of 1/4 Social Limit round down.

Linguasofts would then have to change as well, I would suggesting making them a single rating item and price them as if they were Rating 6.

((EDITed to clean up word usage))
« Last Edit: <06-26-17/0853:50> by Iron Serpent Prince »

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #473 on: <06-25-17/1542:42> »
PANs, Masters and Slaves:

Q:  Can a PAN Master be slaved to another PAN Master device?

Putting aside the real world example of daisy chaining routers (and leaving out if it is a good idea or not), this issue is still not clear.  (See here, here, here, here, and here)

Not being able to is pretty much difficult for difficulties sake.  I think we can all agree that for the most part, a Cyberdeck is the best item for a Master, not only for a good Firewall, but the ease of increasing attributes through Common Cyber Programs.
The best Cyberdeck at character creation (baring Restricted Gear Positive Quality) is a Device Rating 4 meaning 12 devices slaved.
If we use a small runner team of only 4 members, with the assumption they are trying to be a professional team (rather than a rag-tag street group), that leaves only 4 devices per team member.
That is 1) Comm - not necessarily commlink, could be micro transceiver;  2) Helmet RIG gear; and 3) Armor RIG gear..
You wanted your Datajack too?  Tough.  A drone?  So sorry.  Additional Cyberware?  Too bad.
You barely have enough to cover basic team comms, and only for a small team.

This can't be the intention.

For simple functionality, you need to be able to slave your PAN Master to your teams PAN Master.

((EDITed to fix a math mistake))
« Last Edit: <06-26-17/0852:00> by Iron Serpent Prince »

odd

• Omae
« Reply #474 on: <06-25-17/2242:24> »
Looks like you'd be a good add to the errata team ;)

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #475 on: <07-14-17/2355:41> »
For simple functionality, you need to be able to slave your PAN Master to your teams PAN Master.
I think it's clear that some people interpret it as not possible. But. If you do consider it possible, then the rules as they exist currently make it a terrible choice that only benefits the hacker targeting your gear.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #476 on: <07-15-17/0704:23> »
Actually, slaving gear to cyberdecks is a terrible idea in general. High rating comlinks are cheaper have higher device rating and can be modded through hard wired program carriers to load cyberprograms. Add a nice sleaze dongle for even more utility.
Your cyberdeck should have no slaves that can be targeted with a fork program and so allow a hacker to quickly gain several MARKs on you.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #477 on: <07-25-17/0859:50> »
Has the run faster errata for shapeshifter to get vulnerability (silver), regeneration, etc. come out of provisional status yet?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #478 on: <07-25-17/0910:30> »
No, that change was rejected.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #479 on: <07-25-17/1154:07> »