NEWS

Regeneration

• 35 Replies

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <03-19-17/2355:33> »
To be honest, the called shots in R&G are universally pretty crap. Even at half the penalty I'd avoid using them.

I actually have two stories that made good use of the the location Called Shots, one funny, the other tactically effective.

The tactical use actually was told me just last night. The team was being attacked by a powerful awakened individual wielding a sword. The team Sniper took the first attack to Called Shot for the Thigh, and applied the Winded effect. Winded makes it so that the target can't take Complex Actions for a set number of combat turns. So the melee weapon becomes useless as they can't make any attacks with it.

The more humorous story: We had a slight misunderstanding, and one of the magicians became upset (basically, man makes a crude joke, woman reacts harshly) and cast Levitate on a teammate (the one who said the crude comment). Presumably, this was the equivalent of pushing him away, but with Magic. In turn, however, he gets startled, because now he's floating and can't get down. So the teammate draws his pistol, and shoots her in the foot. He was able to stay collected enough to aim for a non-vital area. The rest of the team jumped in afterward and separated the two and calmed things down, but still kind of funny with the series of escalations. It was literally the sort of comment that could have been responded to with a slap across the face ("how dare you" *slap*), she just decided to resort to magic instead.

There are definitely times and uses for the Called Shots. Honestly, at my weekly table, few of my players ever use Called Shots at all, let alone the extra ones in Run & Gun.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #31 on: <03-20-17/1049:09> »
Those referring to Called Shot (Vitals) have it absolutely correct; the intent was for that to allow you to bypass Regeneration at the expense of the +2 to damage. Signals got crossed and the wording wasn't tightened up. My fault.
So, to clarify, the original intent was for Called Shot (Vitals) to give +2 damage OR bypass regeneration. right?
Correct.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <03-20-17/1054:22> »
The more humorous story: We had a slight misunderstanding, and one of the magicians became upset (basically, man makes a crude joke, woman reacts harshly) and cast Levitate on a teammate (the one who said the crude comment). Presumably, this was the equivalent of pushing him away, but with Magic. In turn, however, he gets startled, because now he's floating and can't get down. So the teammate draws his pistol, and shoots her in the foot. He was able to stay collected enough to aim for a non-vital area. The rest of the team jumped in afterward and separated the two and calmed things down, but still kind of funny with the series of escalations. It was literally the sort of comment that could have been responded to with a slap across the face ("how dare you" *slap*), she just decided to resort to magic instead.
What, he didn't just whip out his submachine and full auto her with gel rounds? No wonder she thinks she can just push him around like that.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <03-20-17/1126:24> »
Yeah, doing trick shots is all very well (that's why there is such a called shot), but if I want an enemy stopped, I just stun or kill them.
Tactically, a disarm (maybe with finger popper) would have been the better choice to deal with a sword swinger.
If you want to stop a magic user shooting their foot will only enrage them. Split the damage would be the better choice if you don't want to kill them (or use non-lethal ammo)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <03-20-17/1411:24> »
With disarm (blast out of hands, technically), they just go back and pick up the weapon again. Being winded means they literally can't attack.

The Shot to the foot does a maximum of 1 damage, the goal of the shot was to startle, not wound. Splitting the damage still does a pretty decent amount of damage.

Xexanoth

• Chummer
« Reply #35 on: <03-20-17/1556:53> »
Yeah, doing trick shots is all very well (that's why there is such a called shot), but if I want an enemy stopped, I just stun or kill them.
Tactically, a disarm (maybe with finger popper) would have been the better choice to deal with a sword swinger.
If you want to stop a magic user shooting their foot will only enrage them. Split the damage would be the better choice if you don't want to kill them (or use non-lethal ammo)

I always handled the Called Shots from R&G as something cool characters can do if the situation fits it or they just want to show off.
It also gives specific Rules to situations, you have someone who got a wounded arm, now you can just look at a specific rule to handle it.
But yeah simply shooting someone will always be more effective, seems pretty accurate to real life actually(and pretty much most other games)

Also let's face it, if some of the shoots were actually "better" then every sam with his 20+ Dice would just use those(kinda how everyone uses "Vitals" which is already powerful enough).