NEWS

smoking is bad for your gaming.

• 69 Replies

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #15 on: <12-24-12/0032:40> »
Actually its the rights of society vs the rights of the individual.  When smoking was acceptable, the non-smokers had to suck it up. But things have moved on.  Now the smokers are the minority, and the rights, often translated into funky little things called laws, dominate.  Now smokers have the accept the rules of society.  Such is life and we just need to accept it... Or change the views of the majority.  But given that whole cancer thing... My money is not on cigiretes making a comeback any time soon. (But stranger things have occured...)
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <12-24-12/0043:16> »
Actually its the rights of society vs the rights of the individual.  When smoking was acceptable, the non-smokers had to suck it up. But things have moved on.  Now the smokers are the minority, and the rights, often translated into funky little things called laws, dominate.  Now smokers have the accept the rules of society.  Such is life and we just need to accept it... Or change the views of the majority.  But given that whole cancer thing... My money is not on cigiretes making a comeback any time soon. (But stranger things have occured...)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactually, if we're being technical, it's that the rights of the individual do not extend past the individual (society is, after all, a collection of individuals and the rights of individuals are not changed in their strength by the size of the group wishing to exercise them in the same way, and thus the 'rights of society' don't really have some grand distinction from that of the individual)  - by smoking around other people, you're making a choice for them, imposing upon their rights (especially given the health effects).  You can choose to smoke, but that doesn't mean that you can impose your smoking upon other people.  Effectively, the only was to not do that is to smoke in areas that aren't regular traffic, and where people can be forewarned that there is a likelihood of smoking and thus are able to choose to avoid it.  You walk into the smoking area?  Your own bloody fault, you don't get to make everyone there not smoke because you choose to go through there for the same reason that they don't get to make you inhale their cigarette smoke elsewhere.
« Last Edit: <12-24-12/0045:18> by RHat »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <12-24-12/0108:31> »
It should be "you go in public, you suck it up and not be a whiny little ***** complaining about someone doing something you don't like". As I said, go in public and deal with the entire public. If you just want to deal with those who agree with your narrow-minded views, go join a private club.

Dude, your ridiculous "that's just your opinion" trolling isn't working.  Just give up.  It's a stupid enough thing to say as it is, and in this context it's not remotely believable as an argument someone would seriously be making.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <12-24-12/0112:04> »
Honestly, you proved my point when you said that the rights of the individual don't extend past the individual. This means that the non-smokers should in fact 'suck it up' because they're just being arse-bags trying to force their non-smoking on everyone else. Smokers don't walk up to non-smokers, shove a cigarette in their mouth and light it.
« Last Edit: <12-24-12/0116:58> by All4BigGuns »
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Kat9

« Reply #19 on: <12-24-12/0116:33> »
I haven't laughed this much in weeks.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <12-24-12/0118:55> »
Honestly, I'm just sick and dang tired of people being so paranoid about everything that can be considered a "health risk" that they think they have the right to force others to kow-tow to them. News flash, ANYTHING taken to too much extreme carries "health risk". Hell, even too much oxygen or water does bad, bad things to the human body.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #21 on: <12-24-12/0119:34> »
Honestly, you proved my point when you said that the rights of the individual don't extend past the individual. This means that the non-smokers should in fact 'suck it up' because they're just being arse-bags trying to force their non-smoking on everyone else. Smokers don't walk up to non-smokers, shove a cigarette in their mouth and light it. (this 'second-hand' crap is just that. Crap. Completely unproven to actually have any real affect unless in an area of concentration like hundreds of people in one small room all chain smoking a pack in an hour).

Oh.  So your smoke drifting into my lungs is my fault.

Also, I noticed you've removed your 'second-hand smoke isn't proven' nitwittery; good for you.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Kat9

« Reply #22 on: <12-24-12/0120:58> »
Honestly, you proved my point when you said that the rights of the individual don't extend past the individual. This means that the non-smokers should in fact 'suck it up' because they're just being arse-bags trying to force their non-smoking on everyone else. Smokers don't walk up to non-smokers, shove a cigarette in their mouth and light it.

Also, I noticed you've removed your 'second-hand smoke isn't proven' nitwittery; good for you.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <12-24-12/0126:32> »

If you're close enough to the person that it isn't diluted to the point of no appreciable affect by the time it gets to you, then yeah because you're close enough to be in their 'personal space'.

Kat9

« Reply #24 on: <12-24-12/0130:45> »

If you're close enough to the person that it isn't diluted to the point of no appreciable affect by the time it gets to you, then yeah because you're close enough to be in their 'personal space'.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-6-143136-Even-non-smokers-in-poorly-ventilated-spaces-are-at-risk-of-COPD

Yeah, I know tl;dr.
« Last Edit: <12-24-12/0132:16> by Kat9 »

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <12-24-12/0132:05> »

What about bars, restruants... workplaces?  Indoors, enclosed spaces, smoke can get pretty thick... 

Besides, this is pointless.  The rules of the land is that smokers must smoke outside etc. Laws are made to reflect the will of the majority of people in society (at least in free democratic societies).  So the majority of people support smokers not smoking inside etc.  In this scenario, its the smokers who are complaining that its unfair etc.  But why should the majority sacrifice their comfort and health (lets not forget health) so that a small few can continue to pursue their optional, self-harming hobby?
Perception molds reality

Kat9

« Reply #26 on: <12-24-12/0133:09> »
Let's discuss something we can all agree is silly.

Nascar anyone?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <12-24-12/0135:19> »
http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-6-143136-Even-non-smokers-in-poorly-ventilated-spaces-are-at-risk-of-COPD

Key phrase: "Poorly Ventilated"

Very few places these days actually fit that description with how most public places' air conditioning/heating systems are set up.

Besides, this is pointless.  The rules of the land is that smokers must smoke outside etc. Laws are made to reflect the will of the majority of people in society (at least in free democratic societies).  So the majority of people support smokers not smoking inside etc.  In this scenario, its the smokers who are complaining that its unfair etc.  But why should the majority sacrifice their comfort and health (lets not forget health) so that a small few can continue to pursue their optional, self-harming hobby?

So instead people should have to kow-tow to paranoia? That's exactly what it boils down to.

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <12-24-12/0135:27> »
Let's discuss something we can all agree is silly.

Nascar anyone?

Whats Nascar?
Perception molds reality

Kat9

« Reply #29 on: <12-24-12/0136:16> »

Key phrase: "Poorly Ventilated"

Very few places these days actually fit that description with how most public places' air conditioning/heating systems are set up.

So instead people should have to kow-tow to paranoia? That's exactly what it boils down to.

So basically you read the actual url. Good on you.