NEWS

How do you get High Availability Gear?

• 87 Replies

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #15 on: <01-10-16/0315:59> »
...just had a major discussion on this topic with our group.  Have a Physad who was looking to upgrade her weapon focus after a mission into a BGC 4 "hotspot" where we ran into a couple mist form vampires against whom she was totally useless (fortunately we all made it out however nearly lost one character).  Still expensive but no where near as bad as I feared, as the 20 availability  applied to the reagents needed to improve the weapon's force not the cost of the actual increase from 4 - 5 itself.

Still a little in the dark how the "buying hits" actually relates to the availability test.

In making up  a new character, (a demolitions expert), decided it would probably be good to take the Black Market Pipeline quality for her arms/explosives dealer contact so she'd have a better chance to get the "good stuff" with as little issue as possible.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <01-11-16/1022:42> »
We have addressed this in the new FAQ ... just waiting on approval from CGL, and will be released with the Hard Targets update.

Reputation will modify your rolls when attempting to get new gear.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #17 on: <01-11-16/1411:12> »
Oooh! Nice!

What is reputation? Some crazy new amalgam of Street Cred, Public Awareness and Notoriety?

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <01-11-16/1423:05> »
Hehe, yeah, now we just need actual mechanics for how reputation is supposed to be calculated :)

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <01-11-16/1445:24> »
Oooh! Nice!

What is reputation? Some crazy new amalgam of Street Cred, Public Awareness and Notoriety?

I hesitate to say too much since we are still waiting on approval for it, but no nothing so new as that ... just that all three aspects play a roll ... either as a dice pool, thresh hold, or limit modifier
mostly because we wanted to make reputation more applicable and something that players would care about more

Hehe, yeah, now we just need actual mechanics for how reputation is supposed to be calculated :)

Street Cred is the only thing that straight calculates ... see page 372 of the core rule book, even though qualities can play apart Notoriety and Public Awareness are awarded.
For home games this would have to be determined by GM, in Mission games we publish it.
Would like to have guidelines for this? Or was there something else you were referring to?
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #20 on: <01-11-16/1508:18> »
This sounds awesome! I can't wait to see what we get.

More of an impact for all three of those things is great. It may solve all of my availability questions, even in my home games. Even if it doesn't get approved, I'd like to see the idea if you're able to send it my way unofficially.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <01-11-16/1544:05> »
By "mechanics" I meant more how the three interact with each other.

Street Cred is listed in the book both as increasing dice pools (p. 140) or social limit (p. 368) depending on where you look, for one. Street Cred is calculated as a known quantity and as a missions reward, true, but it can rack up some significant bonuses somewhat easily which seems at odds with Missions in general. For example, if you earn one street cred and 5 Karma per mission, that's +9 dice pool and/or social limit after just six missions. Guidelines on when Street Cred applies would also be good, as not everyone is going to know you're a stone cold professional, after all.

Notoriety is calculated manually but only for qualities in the core book and not any of the expanded (and Missions Legal) rules. This should be expanded upon. Notoriety also does not offset Street Cred in any way currently, so rules for that would be good. Some NPCs might even view Notoriety as a plus, which could be an interesting twist on the Cold Hearted Bastard rules re karma rewards, and/or could be used to influence intimidation rolls for example. Right now, however, it doesn't have much of a use.

Public Awareness is in the same boat as Notoriety. What exactly does it mean if your Public Awareness is 5? Does NPCs recognize you? Does it influence Street Cred and/or Notoriety, or vice versa?

In short, reputation is one of those very gray areas that would be difficult to effectively use in Missions because there's very little common ground for disparate GMs to use, and some outstanding rules clarifications that are needed.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #22 on: <01-11-16/1557:31> »
In short, reputation is one of those very gray areas that would be difficult to effectively use in Missions because there's very little common ground for disparate GMs to use, and some outstanding rules clarifications that are needed.
Eh. A number of the 'runs have very set, "If the 'runners did X, give them +1 Street Cred. If they did Y, give them +1 Notoriety. If they did Z by doing A, give them +1 Public Awareness" in the awards. I would expect this to be combined with more of that format in the future.

For instance, in SRM 05-04: Liberation:

+1 Street Cred if the players rescue X from Y
+1 Notoriety for giving the Z to A

Or in Boundless Mercy: Recon

+1 Street Cred if the players defeat X in a fight
+1 Public Awareness if the team does Y with someone other than Z

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <01-11-16/1655:34> »
Indeed. But can you tell me what Notoriety and Public Awareness does in Missions? Cause I certainly can't, based on what the core rulebook tells me anyway.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #24 on: <01-11-16/1658:06> »
Indeed. But can you tell me what Notoriety and Public Awareness does in Missions? Cause I certainly can't, based on what the core rulebook tells me anyway.

It's used to determine how easy it is to get gear.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <01-11-16/1712:39> »
Uh, how?

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #26 on: <01-11-16/1714:56> »
Uh, how?

Sorry, you missed my dry wit in referring to the upcoming rules that may be released. :)

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <01-11-16/2114:30> »
Haha, yeah, I'm terrible at picking up on sarcasm in text ;)

My point was mostly to Banshee, just for clarification, as an elaboration to his question on what I think was unclear/could use some guidelines.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <01-12-16/0913:10> »
sorry guys best i can do is give you a rough outline until CGL approves it

Street Cred - improves social limit if known*, reduces availability
Notoriety - reduces social limits (except intimidation) if known*, increases limit for intimidation
Public Awareness - determines if your known
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <01-12-16/1031:57> »
Cool, Banshee, that's a good start. Can you elaborate on how Public Awareness would determine if you are known or not? With it being an integer that increases the more you're known it wouldn't do as a Threshold; I've been using it as a dice pool modifier to an NPCs memory or appropriate knowledge skill test to determine if any given person knows about the PC.

If not available at the moment, that'd definitely be something that needs to be added eventually.