NEWS

Animal companions?

• 11 Replies

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« on: <02-15-19/1043:30> »
Id like some options for starting with an animal companion, sadly the rules concerning them are a bit lacking.
I know there are prices for some of them in running wild, Im just not sure why the costs are in nuyen. For me it would make more sense with a quality- 

Say they worked a bit like contacts connection rating = power rating and loyalty =loyalty.

Mundane, emerged, chimeras, warforms, awakened maybe even some toxic critters could be chosen (within reason)

So a mundane cat would have power 1 and loyalty 1 (with a special rule that loyalty cant be higher than 3- those shifty bastards)

And a bastet (technocritter cat) would have power 5? And loyalty 1  (max 3)
 (emerged characters may buy loyalty at normal price) others have to pay double for loyalty.

Animal handling skill would also come into play somehow.

Whaddya think? And do you have some suggestions for some cool companions? Or rules?

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #1 on: <02-16-19/1629:23> »
...my character Leela has a young fey cat which she brought back from the Fey Realm series (cost her a bit).  She does have animal handling a decent Charisma (5 for a human) as well as a middle lifestyle.

As Fey cats have more "catitude" than mundane ones, a good Charisma and animal handling would be essential to maintaining a companion bond.

My Bushido Cowgirl KK has a pickup and would love to get a "dawg" (preferably a big one).  Sadly a Fenrir Wolf (which would be ideal) doesn't do well in a city environment and as she's a member of the Desolation Angels she needs to be in the city.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <02-17-19/2137:36> »
Animal companions can be a bit tricky.... and some GMs don't like dealing with the added hassle (and attitude that can come with pets).

That said  Had a player use a trained Bandit in 4e to handle mechanical locks and by pass weight sensors (too light to set off generally)... worked out pretty well....

For the most part. <evil GM grin>
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-18-19/1541:04> »
...my character Leela has a young fey cat which she brought back from the Fey Realm series (cost her a bit).
Ooh nice, from what book is the fey cat? And are there other fey creatures i  rhat source too?  And whats the fey schtick in shadowrun?

Animal companions can be a bit tricky.... and some GMs don't like dealing with the added hassle (and attitude that can come with pets).

That said  Had a player use a trained Bandit in 4e to handle mechanical locks and by pass weight sensors (too light to set off generally)... worked out pretty well....

Yeah, a shadowrun critter companion would often stick too much out, or do "animal stuff" at the wrong moment during a run. That said if you choose its rile in the party carefully they could be decently integrated in most (not all) campaigns.

I was thinking of acquiring animal companions would work a bit like a positive quality and a bit like contacts ( as in you can gain them throughout a campaign).

Currently there a some adept powers and metamagics that are 100% gm dependent. And a bunch of cool critters and abilities just waiting to be part of runner teams, but no rules to implement them.

Wenlocke

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-18-19/1852:42> »
I think I've had too many of the wrong GMs. You say animal companion, I see a companion my character can build an emotional connection with, and care for, who isn't my team... And is inevitably doomed to kark it messily  when the GM decides I need more drama and pathos in my characters life.

I tend to avoid films where the dog (or cat) dies. How much worse when it belongs to a character I'm actually running. I may be an old softy.
Nostalgia 'aint what it used to be.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-18-19/1919:25> »
I think I've had too many of the wrong GMs. You say animal companion, I see a companion my character can build an emotional connection with, and care for, who isn't my team... And is inevitably doomed to kark it messily  when the GM decides I need more drama and pathos in my characters life.

I tend to avoid films where the dog (or cat) dies. How much worse when it belongs to a character I'm actually running. I may be an old softy.

That's part of the problem :P

I have seen some YUGE explosions over 'pets' caught in well... explosions....

Some players will freak out that 'Mr. Fluffy' becomes a target for damage... regardless of if 'Mr.fluffy' is a tabby cat hiding under the runner's jacket, or a Cerebus hound currently chewing on an Mook's head...
Which in turn leads some GMs to just say 'Nope. Not MY table'

I'm not against critter companions per say, but that means they are LEGAL targets in combat (as called for).... or Dinner for that Triad boss you just piss off...

(  Triad Boss: "Ah Mr. Runner, we are most displeased with your actions that cost us considerable time and effort. But let us be reasonable and about this over dinner. "
A plate is set down in of the player with a fully cooked hunch of meat on it, all professionally prepared

Triad Boss: "This is my favorite dish from Korea, I was so happy when Mr.Gao joined us, as finding someone who can cook Cat in the traditional manner is so very hard here in America. But I am prattlingly on... please; Enjoy your Mr.Fluffy while its still hot."

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-18-19/1945:26> »

That's part of the problem :P

I have seen some YUGE explosions over 'pets' caught in well... explosions....

Some players will freak out that 'Mr. Fluffy' becomes a target for damage... regardless of if 'Mr.fluffy' is a tabby cat hiding under the runner's jacket, or a Cerebus hound currently chewing on an Mook's head...
Which in turn leads some GMs to just say 'Nope. Not MY table'

I'm not against critter companions per say, but that means they are LEGAL targets in combat (as called for).... or Dinner for that Triad boss you just piss off...

(  Triad Boss: "Ah Mr. Runner, we are most displeased with your actions that cost us considerable time and effort. But let us be reasonable and about this over dinner. "
A plate is set down in of the player with a fully cooked hunch of meat on it, all professionally prepared

Triad Boss: "This is my favorite dish from Korea, I was so happy when Mr.Gao joined us, as finding someone who can cook Cat in the traditional manner is so very hard here in America. But I am prattlingly on... please; Enjoy your Mr.Fluffy while its still hot."
Eating your own cat with a smile on your face and giving your compliments to the chef would be such a power move in this scenario.

"What the hell, my sources told me you liked that cat!"

"I did, sir. He was perfectly seasoned."
« Last Edit: <02-18-19/1947:34> by Ghost Rigger »
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <02-19-19/0127:36> »
And then you put a bullet in his head three days later... And blow up the entire planned campaign because now you're at war with the Triads and decided to join the Yakuza to kill more of them. And well-deserved! At that point, Guerrero's "That's my issue. You found my pressure point. He's my world." applies. You touch someone's pet, you make it personal and get blown away.

Eh, my wife simply bought a Cactus Cat for at home. They were well-hidden so only had intruders drop by once, who ran into their pet Spirit and the neighbourhood gang. My brother helped his landlady with her Hellhound collection, which she expanded later on and succesfully employed as her physical security.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #8 on: <02-19-19/0210:12> »
...my character Leela has a young fey cat which she brought back from the Fey Realm series (cost her a bit).
Ooh nice, from what book is the fey cat? And are there other fey creatures i  rhat source too?  And whats the fey schtick in shadowrun?
...from Court of Shadows.  She went through the Fey Realm missions. 
Forsaken daughter is watching you

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <02-19-19/0414:52> »
[quote

Well, as this is shadowrun and ghouls are real, you might also get your contact 1/6 kid brother served on a plate, or have a point of essence drained by that ordo maximus  member you pissed off.

And whether its your kid brother or your pet technocritter turtle named fluffy thats on the dinner table- my bet would be that many runners would go totally John Wick  in the near future :)
« Last Edit: <02-19-19/0451:20> by DigitalZombie »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-19-19/1516:05> »
[quote

Well, as this is shadowrun and ghouls are real, you might also get your contact 1/6 kid brother served on a plate, or have a point of essence drained by that ordo maximus  member you pissed off.

And whether its your kid brother or your pet technocritter turtle named fluffy thats on the dinner table- my bet would be that many runners would go totally John Wick  in the near future :)

Isn't that kinda the point? (From a GM perspective)

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <04-04-19/1600:13> »

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/By7xWYpwV

so I decided to create some rules for animal companions, as I felt the ones in bowling shadows didnt quite hit the mark.

Nothing is set in Stone, so Im open for suggestions.

I'll add some examples lager, maybe in the Game tool box though.