NEWS

[SR5] Just how small is a microdrone

• 7 Replies

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« on: <10-07-13/0043:49> »
I was just reading the fingertip compartment and it states that "A fingertip compartment allows the storage of micro-sized items, like a micro-drone, RFID tag" ...
Now while the microskimmer states that it is smaller than a Frisbee, leading me to believe that it won't fit in a fingertip,
The Shiawase Kanmushi states that it is hard to tell apart from a normal insect.

Is this right?  Can I fit a Kanmushi in a fingertip compartment to let out when I need a microspy to enter a room ahead of me?
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-09-13/0856:11> »
Yeah drone sizes are tricky. For instance , according to page 420, you are able to hide an ares duelist under your jacket (an ares duelist is equipped with 2 swords and is cabable of being mistaken for a metahuman at a distance).
But I would say its possible to hide the micro skimmer in the fingertip compartment, The phrase about it being smaller than a frisbee is badly worded. I guess its the size of a coin (that can be folded together when not in use and stored in your finger). A fly spy is a drone size categori larger than your microskimmer, and is described to be as large as a large insect. (and large insects are smaller than frisbees too, unless they are awakened/mutated) :)

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <10-09-13/0948:20> »
Thanks for pointing out the size description of the fly-spy, I didn't even think to compare the descriptors for the different size categories.

So I would be able to stuff a Konmushi into a fingertip compartment, but now I'm thinking about a Fly-spy possibly fitting into a smugglers compartment (I gotta think that even a large insect is the same size or smaller than a light pistol, but I could be wrong).
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-09-13/1031:03> »
According to page 420 a minidrone is the same size as a light pistol. (but then again so are micro grenades and RCCs, and the ladder has atleast been described as keyboard sized, while the former would be hidable in a hand) so ... yet they are all smaller than goggles :)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <10-09-13/1037:01> »
Concealability isn't the same as size though, even if it's somewhat comparable.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-09-13/1604:26> »
According to page 420 a minidrone is the same size as a light pistol. (but then again so are micro grenades and RCCs, and the ladder has atleast been described as keyboard sized, while the former would be hidable in a hand) so ... yet they are all smaller than goggles :)

Concealability and size are related, but not the same.  The former is about how easy it is to conceal, which brings a number of factors other than just size into play.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-09-13/1900:41> »
However, you should still be able to conceal a minidrone in a smuggling compartment, especially ones described as being the size of an insect.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #7 on: <10-12-13/1751:50> »
However, you should still be able to conceal a minidrone in a smuggling compartment, especially ones described as being the size of an insect.

Some insects can be quite big......

and some are HUGE!!!!!! As in larger then a compact car!!!!!! But, if you see one of those, you are more to worry about then your microdrone :P
(like where you hid your assault canon and bug spray :P.... or pocket mage to deal with that INSECT spirit flesh form!!)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.