NEWS

Where should I put this facility space, under the sea or somewhere else?

• 20 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <04-26-18/1032:04> »
If you want inspiration for a remote arctic base there is a series called Helix (you can see it on Netflix).

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #16 on: <04-26-18/1910:41> »
I think you should re-evaluate your list and Add Megalodon Manager and feeding staff. Should be played by Samuel L. Jackson, so when they are like how are gonna get of the base? Past those Giant Magic Sharks, he can look at them crack wise.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #17 on: <04-28-18/0401:01> »
Ok, I get the premise and I can see you have put a lot of thought into this, which is good - it means its going to work out well.

The premise for the building being a cyber research clinic that requires trillion dollar investments? Not so much. Cyber research is a core item for all of the big 10, this is where we have gotten things like Cyber Zombies, Delta-ware, and Jar-heads from.

This is going back a ways to 3e but in the SOTA 2064 (or was it Year of the Comet??) they listed the cost of lifting a single Kilogram of material into Orbit at 10,000 nuyen for the Corps that owned their own launching facilities (at that time, there was 3 Megas that had their own facilities). The cost of just lifting the crew of 61 would be amazingly expensive! Such a station would have to be a multi-task project, probably in the high tech construction supply chain. ("they make the bio-crystals used in computer storage technology in space because the 0G environment leads to better dispersion of the cells in the quartz matrix.") Or several such items.

There are several underwater habitats already that such a facility could be found in however. 2 are owned by Maerak (a AA Corp) and 1 by Shiwase (I think). But again these are mostly aquacrop farms, and marine resource extraction sites... But they could put in a cyber research lab if they felt the need.

However, I can see this facility more in land. And actually fairly close to a major city. Glo City in Seattle would be a good spot. huge background count to keep astral snoops at bay, toxic environment to keep away most people, isolated enough that anti-intrusion measures can be used with impunity.

Toxic critters, awakened nasties, ghouls, toxins, diseases, radiation. No services, no shops, no running water, roads not maintained in 40 years for kilometers in any direction. Empty condenmed buildings crumbling all around making good hiding spots for devil rats, ghouls, or even shadow spirits, the few people to be found are crazy... and then you get to the gate....

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <04-28-18/0710:14> »
I'll look into Helix. We may not have it in Australia though.

I like that suggestion about glo city I'll need to look into that location as well. I didn't realise it was still that expensive for corps to send stuff to space thought that was relatively cheap with the cost in building/maintaining a space station.

Xenon

• Prime Runner

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <04-30-18/1456:01> »
CFD victims....  Or metahuman.v2 as the sociopath would call them all have matrix access thanks to their nanites. I think it would work well having the research facility somewhere where the matrix connection could easily be controlled.  Faraday cage the whole facility on land,  or build it underwater.

And underwater facility has the advantage of it being very hard to escape from.  So even if a single cfd fragger would break out of his cell,  he might have problems leaving the facility,  as it has no submarines itself.

In times intervals there will be resupplying and matrix uplinks.  The rest of the time it's off the grid.