• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #30 on: <08-18-11/0919:21> »
You mean SR60A? Or SR 6.66ed?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #31 on: <08-18-11/1235:31> »
I think the biggest reason why AIs can't be magical is that they don't have a body! They have no mass, no physical body to speak of... They are just complex code consisting of 1s and 0s. Sure the optical drive/chip/computer has mass/body but again you are talking about a highly processed piece of equipment, and not a flesh and blood thing. From the write up about magic in the main rule book, we know magic doesn't respond well to highly processed items. (hence why healing cyber characters is harder, wreck spells have a higher drain code then mana spells, etc)

Without that physical body to interact with mana, you have no magic rating.
You could always go with the options listed above and have a mage "possessed" by an AI for a magical/techno threat.... And of course there is always GM fiat and your awakened AI is a unique entity.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #32 on: <08-18-11/1449:43> »
well, but why not Resonance?

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #33 on: <08-18-11/1519:08> »
The books have no Awakened AI's, rendering this entire discussion invalid  :o

Not buying Cerberus/Eliohahn being an actual Dragon AI ghost-in-a-shell?
Dragons are purely magical beings yet somehow this one turned into an AI... what'll happen if he finds a way back into his body?

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #34 on: <08-18-11/2014:12> »
Yeah, and notice not even the spirit of a great trapped in the machine has a magic rating. No body, no magic.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #35 on: <08-19-11/0814:14> »
Yeah, and notice not even the spirit of a great trapped in the machine has a magic rating. No body, no magic.
I don't agree with this logic. Spirits for example, have no 'body' but plenty of magic.

An AI is a creature BORN of the matrix. The dragon-ghgost-in-the-shell is currently the idea of a consciousness being ripped from someone (Awakened or mundane is irrelevent), and roaming the matrix.

This has been done with Matrix ghosts for some time, and is completely legit. However an Awakened AI, a creature born in the Matrix, but having Magical attributes? Hmmm, I'm really not sold on this idea.

And it's definitely not canon possible RAW. At least, not yet (we didn't used to have AI's, technomancers or changelings either, so I'm not ruling it out forever. Am just saying that as it stands, it's not kosher. And IMHO, not a good development point anyway *shrugs*)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #36 on: <08-19-11/0934:51> »
IIRC, he's also not a great, just a dragon.  ONLY a dragon.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #37 on: <08-19-11/1344:50> »
Spirits seem to be made entirely of mana (they are summoned/escape from the astral plane) hence why body is determined by force. As for the dragon..... We know why he's comatose? Is it the data jack? Did he go comatose when his mind 'escaped' to the matrix?
Until we know why he's in a coma, it's hard to say what happens to a magical entity that's hooked to the matrix.

But once again, it's your game, run it how you want!!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #38 on: <12-06-11/0240:26> »
Exactly!!!!

Never forget the acronym 'G.O.D.' --- Gamemaster On Duty.  8)
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #39 on: <12-06-11/0622:54> »
Exactly!!!!

Never forget the acronym 'G.O.D.' --- Gamemaster On Duty.  8)
So the Corporate Court Matrix Authority has an entire division of gamers?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #40 on: <12-06-11/1040:55> »
So the Corporate Court Matrix Authority has an entire division of gamers?
Who else would you get?  A bunch of nerds that know how to work together and know each others strategies and habits intricately due to years of experience with potential situations under a variety of conflicts ranging from Stone-Age to Star-Age and everything in between?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #41 on: <12-08-11/1908:16> »

Have any of you thought that Resonance (and Dissonance) is the way that magic interacts with electronics?  Or that magic has already been a component of an AI's creation?
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

RelentlessImp

• Chummer
« Reply #42 on: <12-08-11/1941:35> »

Have any of you thought that Resonance (and Dissonance) is the way that magic interacts with electronics?  Or that magic has already been a component of an AI's creation?

Channeling Plan 9 are we?
Next time you're down on your knees, and you're expecting a slap, it might be me in that mask, and I just might have a bat.
Currently Looking for Work

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #43 on: <12-08-11/1944:24> »
No, you see, I have all the proof in there!  *Opens fifteen locks on a container ship that has all the walls slathered with pictures and handwritten notes, with cotton yarn stretching everywhere in various colours*  See, it makes sense now!!!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

RelentlessImp

• Chummer
« Reply #44 on: <12-08-11/1953:25> »
No, you see, I have all the proof in there!  *Opens fifteen locks on a container ship that has all the walls slathered with pictures and handwritten notes, with cotton yarn stretching everywhere in various colours*  See, it makes sense now!!!

But what's with the oni girl chained up in the corner?
Next time you're down on your knees, and you're expecting a slap, it might be me in that mask, and I just might have a bat.
Currently Looking for Work