NEWS

What are nosferatu in shadowrun?

• 13 Replies

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
  • When in doubt, blame the dragons.
« on: <01-15-16/1300:13> »
I mean the wiki didnt specify a lot. So what are they in detail?
From To<<Matrix message>>
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <01-15-16/1351:04> »
They are humans that are infected with the very rare HMHVV strain 1a.  Meaning they are a type of Vampire, but a little different the typical "Vampire"

For one, ALL are mages. (if the human was an adept before turning, they become Mystic Adepts)
They lose all their hair, have extremely pale skin, and a gaunt, emaciated look to their profile.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-15-16/1411:31> »
How long can they go without feeding?
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-15-16/1421:49> »
they are unusual in the fact that they actually lose essence at a much lower rate then other Vampires....

they lose 1 point of essence every 4 months.... provided they don't use their vampire abilities that increase essence loss....

AND, they can store up to 3x their natural essence.

(Nosferatu are found in the Run Faster book BTW)

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-15-16/1423:27> »
they are unusual in the fact that they actually lose essence at a much lower rate then other Vampires....

they lose 1 point of essence every 4 months.... provided they don't use their vampire abilities that increase essence loss....

AND, they can store up to 3x their natural essence.

(Nosferatu are found in the Run Faster book BTW)

I got run and gun instead. I like the weapon options but the martial arts seem... odd. Like at first glance it seems broken somehow. It is just me?
Thoughts
Mentor

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-15-16/1431:00> »
No, it's not just you :P

My tables (both a player and as a GM) don't use the optional martial arts in the slightest as it just doesn't really work/make sense to us in any way, shape or form...

(if I have unarmed combat 6.... and you have unarmed combat 2 (karate).... that means I am 2 dice better at flailing away in my super good 'untrained' combat style then you are after actual training, but you get to use a 'kick to the junk' special attack!??!)

But, admittedly, some love the expanded martial arts abilities...

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-15-16/1441:40> »
No, it's not just you :P

My tables (both a player and as a GM) don't use the optional martial arts in the slightest as it just doesn't really work/make sense to us in any way, shape or form...

(if I have unarmed combat 6.... and you have unarmed combat 2 (karate).... that means I am 2 dice better at flailing away in my super good 'untrained' combat style then you are after actual training, but you get to use a 'kick to the junk' special attack!??!)

But, admittedly, some love the expanded martial arts abilities...

One trick pony to get close combat firearms pistols... LITERALLY the only thing my adapt would want. I mean it. Nothing in there would appeal to any of my characters I have made. And my Elf Bioware Sammy is a freaking boxer. The called shot options on the other hand are WAY more useful for a boxer. And they are free. Thats 7 karma +... Lots of karma wasted. Im glad its not just me.

Why not just have a limit to each technique that requires a prequisite of one or more skills? That way a person with unarmed combat 2 could use the kick to the junk and maybe a few other stuff but your 6 unarmed combat could have access to a wide variety of stuff. And have the martial arts as a positive quaility that gives a die bonus to certain moves in its style? Then you can buy upgrades to that style for added die bonuses? Like a 5,10,15,20 karma ranking system? With 5 being novice, 10 being well trained, 15 being expert and 20 being master? That way it actually represents the level of dedication and time needed to master a martial art?... uh... im off topic.
« Last Edit: <01-15-16/1454:10> by Raiderjoseph »
Thoughts
Mentor

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-15-16/1639:29> »
It means you're a 'professional' fighter that doesn't stick to any given style, whereas he's a 'novice' karateka. Both of you can kick someone in the junk. He can "level a kick to the sternum or raise [his] leg above [his] head and drop it like an axe without pulling something."

On the topic of Infected, how do you think it would affect their costs if you ditched the Infected Metatype Attribute Table, and went with, "all attributes listed under 'Improved Mental/Physical Attributes' have their maximum increased by 1, while other attributes have their maximum lowered by 1"?

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #8 on: <01-15-16/1705:23> »
For one, ALL are mages. (if the human was an adept before turning, they become Mystic Adepts)
Hmm. I wonder if any are technomancers... for bonus squick.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-15-16/1754:52> »

nope.

There are NO infected technomancers.

Due to HMHVV being an awakened disease, it will overwrite and destroy a technomancer's connection to the Resonance. This is stated in the books.

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #10 on: <01-15-16/1757:05> »

nope.

Due to HMHVV being an awakened disease, it will overwrite and destroy a technomancer's connection to the Resonance. This is stated in the books.

Drat. I wonder if Clockwork has considered vamping up yet.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #11 on: <01-15-16/1803:41> »
Yeah, Nosferatu are humans infected with the Bruckner-Langer variant of HMHVV (Strain 1a).  They lose all hair (yes, all), lose a lot of their body-fat (making them very gaunt/emaciated in appearance) and get the stereotypical fangs.  Appearance-wise they go straight for Count Orlok but with no explicit pointing of the ears. 

All Nosferatu are Awakened as Magicians (no Infected can be Technomancers, that is explicit in Run Faster) and armed with a bunch of powers.  Sans Mist Form, Nosferatu gain Compulsion, Fear and Influence over their Vampire cousins, as well as a higher maximum Agility, Willpower, Logic and Intuition.  They're by the book faster and smarter than your average metahuman.  By the fluff, they also gain a healthy dose of paranoia, hunger for power, sometimes mental illness, etc.  Compulsive disorders could explain the legends about vampires being stymied by spreading grain or knotted nets around their graves to keep them busy. 

They only lose Essence every four months, and are able to store up to 3 times their natural maximum. 

Nosferatu are the second rarest form of Infected in the world; by Patrick Goodman's numbers, there are about 750 Strain 1a Infected in a world of 7.5 billion (one out of every 10 million people, give or take).  The only rarer form is the Mutaqua, the Strain 1a Troll; he estimates there to be about 15 of them worldwide, out of that 750. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-15-16/1810:46> »
[Nosferatu] lose all hair (yes, all), lose a lot of their body-fat (making them very gaunt/emaciated in appearance) and get the stereotypical fangs.

the character loses all of his body and facial hair, and their skin grows taut over their muscles. They typically appear emaciated.
5e, they don't seem to lose their head hair, and while emaciation is typical, it's not certain.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #13 on: <01-15-16/1820:10> »

nope.

Ya' know, I wonder if CFD will level out in some way and become the Renascence form of HMHVV. Could be an interesting way to do it.