NEWS

Otaku fading/matrix architecture relationship theory

• 22 Replies

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <01-20-15/0633:26> »
Pre-Crash 2.0, perceiving the Resonance required a neural structure that was highly flexible, adaptable, capable of being touched by something that was far, far 'underwater'.  Otaku were young; the essentially technomantic capabilities they possessed required the highly-adaptable brain structure that is only found in a pre-adult mind, before the neural pathways begin to solidify.  (National Geographic has some fascinating reading regarding this, actually; check 1-2 years ago, looking for an article about teen brains.)  That solidification is what they called 'Fading'.

Psychotrope, one of the Shadowrun Novels, concerns an Otaku/Resonance experiment designed to test if the Otaku's Resonance was achievable by adults. Which occurred on March 19th, 2060 between 09:45:05 and 09:57:49 Pacific Standard Time.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #16 on: <01-20-15/0649:52> »
... uh ... no.  Certain systems in an old Fuchi building, one which once belonged to Fuchi Americas, and so on back to the fight against the first Crash Virus, had something-or-other happen to them.  Within those systems, a highly-complex long-running program - a dormant AI (Psychotrope/Mirage) - woke up and, believing itself to be under attack, acted to isolate itself.  In doing so, it shut down the Seattle grid, trapping several thousand psyches inside.  Five of them, not all of them adult, had enough psychological experience with (it is surmised) death to be flexible enough to cope with the sudden change.  These five became the only non-fading otaku then known.  Four of them were, in later times, murdered by agents of the AI Deus.  The last one remains alive, and is the Japanese Empress, Hitomi Shiawase.

There was no experiment; it occurred utterly by accident, and the consequences entirely by chance or, perhaps, luck.  That five out of thousands yet possessed the necessary neural flexibility is the exception that proves the rule.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <01-20-15/1312:55> »
Two survived. Red Wraith is still in the shadows of the Low Countries, but mostly fixing now.

Deus experimented on people to determine if adults could be Resonance-touched. And that's how the Network was created.

Yeah, but the real question is, is eating grits what kept her sane for so long, or is eating grits what turned her psycho?  ;)
Well ...

Then what about everyone else that eats them?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <01-20-15/1948:11> »
How long have you been out of the Deep South?  This place is full of them.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <01-20-15/2002:38> »
Not long enough.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <01-20-15/2031:17> »
Ah, so you were able to answer your own question.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <01-20-15/2052:36> »
Yeah, but I didn't want to seem undiplomatic.

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #22 on: <01-20-15/2133:57> »
Ahhhh...what C.S.A. decker wouldn't turn down grits 'n' gravy? :)

Helps slowdown programs, especially! :D
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)