NEWS

[SR5] Chrome Flesh

• 280 Replies

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #210 on: <07-20-15/1209:56> »
Where is Dermal Sheathing with its Mods and the other Bone Lacing options?

Dermal Sheathing's one of the *very* few things I didn't move from 4th to 5th.

I thought about the Bone Lacing options, but I couldn't figure out much in the way to make them interesting and there didn't seem to be a real *demand* for them. I wouldn't mind fixing that in the future, if we get SOTA books or the like.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #211 on: <07-20-15/1252:59> »
Do soft nanohives take 2 Capacity (like hard nanohives)?
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #212 on: <07-20-15/1420:37> »
Definitely bring back Kevlar and ceramic bone lacing, please :)

Maybe add a new one; carbon nanotubes!

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #213 on: <07-20-15/1626:56> »
I thought about the Bone Lacing options, but I couldn't figure out much in the way to make them interesting and there didn't seem to be a real *demand* for them. I wouldn't mind fixing that in the future, if we get SOTA books or the like.
While it's not a major thing, a full body equivalent for flex hands has been something I've pondered since I first saw them in 4e.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #214 on: <07-21-15/0435:33> »
Ceramic Bone Lacings at least allowed you to try to get past MAD scanners.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #215 on: <07-21-15/1048:06> »
Ceramic Bone Lacings at least allowed you to try to get past MAD scanners.

On the one hand, true!

On the other hand, the Bioware bone augmentation does the same, and is about where Kevlar and Ceramic would have been in terms of ability. Higher cost, but *way* better essence.

And never sets off MAD, so...

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #216 on: <07-21-15/1119:41> »
Bone density augmentation has the added bonus of not setting off millimeter wave (cyberware) scanners.  Kevlar and ceramic bones are still going to set those off.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

kuromi

• Newb
« Reply #217 on: <07-21-15/1312:26> »
Just checking was there a typo in Move by wire in rating 3 it indicates that it is still just a +1d6 to initiative die or was that supposed to be a 2d6?  Mind you I have no issue with that because of the fact of the way they system already works it seems like a good balance, especially for those characters who already sunk a ton of nuyen into wired reflexes 3.

I'm pretty sure its just the +1d6. I don't think its that out of whack looking at the numbers. So let's say you have a reaction of 6 and an intuition of 4, so base initiative would be 10+1d6. Comparing Wired Reflexes: 3 + Reaction Enhancers: 3 to Move by Wire: 3. With the former, that makes initiative 16 + 4D6. Move by Wire:3, calculating it all up, gives you +3 reaction, +9 initiative for a total of 22 + 2d6.

So, technically, the average roll on wired reflexes+reaction enhancers is 30, while move by wire: 3 is 29. So wired averages slightly higher, but move by wire has a tighter range. Like the lowest you could ever get with MBW is a 24, while you might get only a 20 with wired. Of course, in this situation MBW maxes at 34, whereas if you're lucky, you could get as high as 40 with wired. So while you can go faster with Wired+RE, you can also be unfortunate and roll slower than you ever could with MBW.

MBW:3  is cheaper about 40K cheaper than and costs less essence, while also being able to be used as level 6 skillwires. So if you don't care about eventually having horrible nerve/brain damage (or the social limit penalties), its not like its a big gip compared to sinking that money into wired:3 + RE:3. But yeah, with only a +1d6 whether its level 2 or 3 does make it seem nerfed from previous editions, I think its fair given the price and essence cost. I think if 3 gave you +2d6, they'd need to jack up the price a bit.

Finn

• Newb
« Reply #218 on: <07-22-15/0033:22> »
I'm not sure how to interpret the Built -In Medkit. Is it just a medkit in a cyberlimb? Is there a rating limit given the size of the rating 6 medkit is essentially my old Corpsman pack that weighed around 20-30lbs? Is it just some kind of an auto doc/med dose system? Can you use it on other characters or just yourself?
 It sounds like it is just a Medkit dispenser system built into the arm with like a rotating cylinder with sterilized med tools in specially formed pockets for each tool.

I'm not really sure though.
Sorry, I replaced 1/4 of my brain with a VCR, I only speak Rigger now.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #219 on: <07-22-15/0958:24> »
It's a 4th edition one brought forward, but, essentially, it's modding your arm so that you can add-in a Medkit of Rating X, allowing it to be carried with you, but also to function easily ... parts rotate, there's a nice viewscreen that you can eyeball, it can interact with other upgrades that you instal (For example, a 'stinger' upgrade and a chemical resivoir or three, letting you do medical examinations and inject things carefully, with teh medkit helping the dosage levels), and so on.

It's *kinda* like having one in a smuggling compartment, but much cooler, just like you can use a normal toolkit, or you canhave a cool cyber toolarm that has rotating bits as different wrenches are needed. (The rating of the medkit depends on what you buy, of course. I suggest a Rating 5 or 6, and it's verymuch intended to be used on other people, but it could be used on yourself with difficulty (About as easy as using a medkit on yourself). Just like having a doctor's bag today, it's one of those things that you can quickly lift, say, "Let me through, I'm a doctor!" and security will let you past in some situations.

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #220 on: <07-22-15/1406:31> »
It's definitely cooler. It's a shame it couldn't have had some mechanical advantage (lower time required on tests perhaps) to make up for the capacity reduction and cost increase over just carrying a medkit/toolkit and having something else in the arm.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #221 on: <07-22-15/2347:11> »
Yeah, it's pretty much the same in 5th as 4th, just style points. The only mechanical advantage is networking it with your other cybergear, but that's kinda outlying. STill, *somebody* will want one, and that person gets a hug from me if they want it. :)

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #222 on: <07-23-15/0146:50> »
Moved over from the Errata thread...

Why wasn't an Augmentation Upgrade Path provided in Chromed Flesh like Magic Types got for their Foci in Street Grimore?

I've asked this before but it's a huge penalty to a Cybered characters Power Curve to rip out 10s of thousands of Nuyen in 'ware to get back 1000s while spending even more 10s of thousands of Nuyen to get new 'ware. It's pretty accepted on the forum that whatever 'ware you start with is pretty much the same 'ware you are going to be using for eternity. Going by the recommended pay scale in SR5. If ¥2000 counts as 1 Karma than every time you replace 'ware, then you are just hemorrhaging Karma to get an Upgrade. It's actually making your Character weaker not stronger by doing so. I understand that it's the Fighters role to get SHAFTED in every game system where they start out strong & quickly get surpassed on the Power Curve by Magic Types.... but giving them an even better Upgrade Path while continuing to punish heavy Augmentation Users is a bit rude really.

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #223 on: <07-23-15/0202:00> »
Also... my personal pet peeve from Day 1 has been the Trainwreck the Custom Drug section ended in. Is that subject ever going to be addressed? I've noticed quite a few others have mentioned it as well & while me and Herr Brackhaus deciphered the missing Text the same way... it still doesn't address the fundamental problem with Wrecker from the example willing taking an Addiction Rating 10/Addiction Threshold 8 drug. Sucking off a shotgun is a much simpler & less painful method if committing suicide is the goal. It leads me to question whoever wrote that sections understanding of the Rule Set, when they provide that as the example, which leads me to question the  entire basis for the whole design. Can we please get some clarification about this? A simple is Custom Drug Addiction Physiological, Psychological, or Both would be a great place to start. The missing Text & the entire flawed design of Enhancers can be straightened out once we get that fundamental Rule needed for using it even in its flawed form.
« Last Edit: <07-23-15/0205:09> by I_AM_ZHOUL!!! »

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #224 on: <07-23-15/0520:58> »
Yeah, it's pretty much the same in 5th as 4th, just style points. The only mechanical advantage is networking it with your other cybergear, but that's kinda outlying. STill, *somebody* will want one, and that person gets a hug from me if they want it. :)

Oh, I want it, I'm trying to work out whether I swap out my current cyberarm on my decker with a modular one with removable forearms containing medkit, hardware kit, and running kit. At the moment, though, costs are coming in astronomical, with no mechanical gains. I'd be having to carry a medkit arm rather than having a medkit 3 in a pocket and medkit 6 bag with me or in the van.