NEWS

[SR5] Chrome Flesh

• 280 Replies

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #195 on: <07-07-15/1752:16> »
It costs less cash because it costs Essence and can't just be swapped out for something else when needed.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

adzling

« Reply #196 on: <07-07-15/1816:29> »
Ur. What? Your forgetting the additional cost of the skillwires and skilljacks, which cost more than the active had wires in $ and essence.

Given the above one would expect the active soft to cost less than the active hardwires.

If the active soft did not require the base hardware to run on I would agree with you.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #197 on: <07-07-15/2219:05> »
Covered in teh dedicated topic over here:

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=21335.15

Remy

• Newb
« Reply #198 on: <07-07-15/2228:30> »
Alright, dearest people responsible, or to whomever it may concern -
this will be hard, mean, come across as patronizing and wise-assing, and most definitely polemic, but polemics are all that I have left about this:

I want you to look at this thing you call a "Table of Contents".
Now I want you to look at it again.
And again.

If by now you haven't broken down in tears, admitting your shame and guilt, wheeping in the dust and asking a higher being forgiveness for being horrible human beings, then we have nothing more to discuss. You have broken my heart when you published Data Trails as it was, CGL, and now you have done it again.

I'm aware you probably have heard this multiple times by now, relayed from this thread alone, and I know it sucks to always hear a community complaining, but it cannot be said often enough: This is not smart, counterproductive, and, most importantly, I don't like it.

This is a core rulebook (even if we have a little bit of a fluff-incursion here these days - but fear not, dear freelance-fluff-writers, we still love you and still want your fluff - the reaction in the prior posts here alone said at much), and if I have to hear one of my players go one more time "I can't find anything in this! Where is that again?" and "With LaTeX this would not have happened!!" I swear to Dog, will have to go and submerge a bag of cyber-puppies in the Foundation.

Now, Mr. Hardy, or whoever is in charge of that, here is what I would like you to do:

Let us assume there is this freelancer or fiction writer. Let's name him Bob. Bob has just handed you his three to five pages of short story that are supposed to make it into this or the next book, because lord knows we need at least ONE of those per supplement for some reason, and you go to him, and say:

»Listen, Bobster - may I call you Bobster? - I can see you can type. You can write. You can probably also read, understand words, lines, and maybe even headlines and paragraphs, and know how to use a word processor.

Now, Bobster, I know you are a freelancer, maybe even a hobbiyst with an unrelated full-time job, but what I want you to do next time, the week before we are shipping this PDF to the printers/DriveThruRPG, you are going to sit down for one to two hours a day, each day for that week, and you go through one chapter per day, in your preferred word processor application of choice or whatever we are using for assembling these documents.

Now, you mark all those headlines, key them according to the layout, which admittedly may or may not be final because somebody will be handing in their text about 3 hours before this goes to the printer, but still, you go through what we have, and key them in layers, from 1 to X. You do that for all the dozen or so chapters of this book, and once you are done with this menial, but vital task, you go to Insert > Register > Build TOC, and watch that word processor put out a nice long structured list of entries and automatically generated page numbers.

You then give it to me, I give you the money I would have paid you or another guy for that short story we had to tragically sacrifice in exchange for this due to time and money constraints, and I give it to our editing and layout guy to put it into the front of our book, and make sure the page-numbers still check out.

Yes, Bobster, I am aware that some people, like that obnoxiously patronizing Remy and others on the internet, will probably still whine and moan because some page number was wrong for some reason, or we still don't have an index, but look at it this way: our product will still be ten times as usuable due to this effort in prioritizing our ressources in a way that is conductive to this particular product!

And as designers and game writers that want to deliver a complete and accessible product, we have our priorities straight!«

The irony is that I have probably typed this in the time it would have taken someone to toc-key a chapter or two, and yet I have still spend just a FRACTION of the time now I will be spending in the future browsing and text-searching through this book because it has neither an index, nor a classic TOC, nor a proper PDF-Bookmark-TOC.

All long-winded snarkiness aside, please CGL. Please. One less short story, or one or two pieces less of that amazing art you get for your books, or one week or two more delay till release, but gives us at least ONE of the things named above. :/

PS: You know I can't leave you, CGL. I cherished our time together we had with SR5 so far too much, and I want to keep cherishing it, but things really need to change in this relationship.
« Last Edit: <07-07-15/2234:33> by Remy »

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #199 on: <07-07-15/2242:16> »
I typed up a Table of Contents maybe a week ago and posted it among all my other lists.
Again it isn't hyperlinked nor am I a member of the writing team or Catalyst.
Hope it helps a little.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xq9mvm7paqjfc7a/sr5%20tool%20chrome%20flesh%20index.pdf?dl=0
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #200 on: <07-08-15/0805:56> »
That's actually pretty helpful. Thanks!
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

KraakenDazs

• Chummer
« Reply #201 on: <07-16-15/1534:56> »
I typed up a Table of Contents maybe a week ago and posted it among all my other lists.
Again it isn't hyperlinked nor am I a member of the writing team or Catalyst.
Hope it helps a little.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xq9mvm7paqjfc7a/sr5%20tool%20chrome%20flesh%20index.pdf?dl=0

yet you're not the one who should have had to do that.

And Remy summed it up quite well.

*Sigh* I had great, GREAT hopes following Run Faster's release. While not perfect (i can deal with not perfect), i was very pleasantly surprised when one of my players showed me his copy, and i bought it for myself the next day because it was greatly functionnal.

Guess that's another book i won't be adding to my collection anytime soon from the reviews i'm hearing. Even my most diehard players aren't interested in buying it. I'd really like to support Shadowrun, but while the fluff is great, and wonderful to read...at the end of the day i want a system i can use. Please don't let it be a regression-towards-the-mean situation, editors. By this point i would've preferred 2 more months of waiting before release. 
Maybe, just maybe, concrete and Plasteel are MEANT to armor our planet, and not harm it, omae. Hydroponics can nourish our needy. And i assure you nuclear energy's been involved in getting you that fancy 'ware, chummer.Our mistake? Trading Wisdom for Greed. - Dögan "Babyface" Kross

bull30548

• Newb
« Reply #202 on: <07-16-15/1650:26> »
So back to products and what not.

One of my small problems after reading through the book with  was the fact that rather common items, which make sense in the game but I think the items like joint replacement, spinal repair, and even limb replacement should of had it's own little section.

Anyway I had a question about skates and skimmers as to what the drawbacks are with them?  Also what about other skills you could use while moving with them like for example gymnastics or sneaking?  I was just curious if there were any negatives for this.
GM Guy
Catalyst Game Labs Agent

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #203 on: <07-16-15/1811:34> »
Skates give 50% Walk/Run speed boost and lowers your physical limit by 1.

Skimmers give 100% Walk/Run speed boost and lowers your physical limit by 2.

Pretty much all the penalties to actions like sneaking or gymnastics would fall under that limit penalty. So sure, for a character with a brute of a physical limit, it's not really going to effect them much, then again getting a 50% or 100% speed boost isn't really that much of a game changer for most situations anyway.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #204 on: <07-16-15/2017:44> »
Not sure if it made it into the final text, but Skimmers are also LOUD, making stealth impossible while using them.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #205 on: <07-16-15/2041:05> »
SKIMMERS
A more complex option for cyberfeet is the use of
ground-effect platforms, based on skimmer drone
technology, to provide a cushion of air beneath the
user and allow them to hover a few centimeters above
the ground. It takes some practice to get the hang of
it, but once mastered, the skimmers allow the user to
move at double their normal walking or running speed
when engaged. The fragile balance required to maneuver
them reduces the user’s Physical limit by 2. Note
that these are completely useless unless taken in pairs,
and they’re unusable if the user attempts to carry any
significant extra weight.
Wireless Bonus: Activating or deactivating the
skimmers is a Free Action, rather than a Simple Action
as normal.

Whelp, looks like that's something else to add to the errata.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #206 on: <07-17-15/0019:00> »
Not neccessarily. It might have been pulled for space, or it might have been pulled by playtesting. *I* had it as a balancing factor, but, it might not have been needed on top of teh balance penalties. I'll have to ask.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #207 on: <07-17-15/0856:44> »
Heh. I like the idea of skimmers on a 750lbs troll... That better be some damned powerful thrusters.

bull30548

• Newb
« Reply #208 on: <07-17-15/1054:19> »
Just checking was there a typo in Move by wire in rating 3 it indicates that it is still just a +1d6 to initiative die or was that supposed to be a 2d6?  Mind you I have no issue with that because of the fact of the way they system already works it seems like a good balance, especially for those characters who already sunk a ton of nuyen into wired reflexes 3.
GM Guy
Catalyst Game Labs Agent

Finn

• Newb
« Reply #209 on: <07-19-15/2345:23> »
Where is Dermal Sheathing with its Mods and the other Bone Lacing options?
Sorry, I replaced 1/4 of my brain with a VCR, I only speak Rigger now.