NEWS

[SR5] Chrome Flesh

• 280 Replies

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #180 on: <07-03-15/0629:05> »
I'd definitely be interested in that kinda stuff, but then who wouldn't.
And yeah, money's a bitch. I can understand that.
Though I know from experience most videogame developers aren't axactly rich, either.  ;)
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #181 on: <07-03-15/0825:11> »
Not sure whether I'd have time to volunteer, and my knowledge of Shadowrun, having started in 5th, is probably too shallow.

When I was a teenager, many years ago, rebalancing systems for Games Workshop during playtesting was good fun.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #182 on: <07-03-15/0851:32> »
Guys, I'll follow up with Jason to confirm the the arrangement around playtesting and post in a new thread.

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #183 on: <07-03-15/0906:48> »
Generally on some rules you can use theorycrafting rather than playtesting. A lot of the GW stuff I did as a teenager was more probability analysis.

Certainly when confronting things like HMHVV II/III disease, it's worth considering whether you want a chance to survive without infection, and how large, and then see if the rules give you what you want (if it's that a maximized Body + Will Troll with Pathogenic Defense Rating 6 has a 0.008% survival chance against strain II without using edge, and a less than 1% chance against strain III, then it's spot on).

bull30548

• Newb
« Reply #184 on: <07-03-15/1205:55> »
Got a copy yay!

So now I can ask my legitimate question as I was only looking for one little piece of cyber that I thought, that perhaps you guys forgot it in Core.  Where the heck is my Skinlink?  I mean there is the Immersion for a technomancer to get skinlink why can't my cybered Decker have a skinlink too?  I mean skinlink has been around since first edition for crying out loud.  The rules for how it works is there all it would have required is a stat on capacity, essence, and cost that is it nothing more.  Why was this one piece of gear that has been a mainstay for 25 years suddenly dropped?
GM Guy
Catalyst Game Labs Agent

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #185 on: <07-03-15/1330:10> »
Where the heck is my Skinlink?

Skinlink has never been Cyberware . It costs No Essence
it's just a kind of cable that uses your Skin instead of a Coppercable, that's all
You can either wait for CGL to write it down (ImO you have a better chance of watching the Hell freeze over )
Or you can reeinstate it (with the SR4A Crunch )
You don't need CGL to write down the Crunch for a Leatherman or  Swissknife and You don't need CGL for Skinlink either !

Why was this one piece of gear that has been a mainstay for 25 years suddenly dropped?

Sorry , but Skinlink is a 4A Invention so it is around since 2070
but Basically your Question is valid ! :)
And I would like to follow up that Question (not that I expect CGL to answer this officially ;) :) )

He who dances with a second Skin
Medicineman

« Last Edit: <07-03-15/1332:08> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #186 on: <07-03-15/1822:23> »
There was an induction datajack back in 2nd. It however needed an adaptor for the decker to hold
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #187 on: <07-03-15/1910:59> »
I've gotten a bit more time to read more of this. And the mental health section was a great read. And I'm happy to see the comeback of brain hacking. It makes way more sense for brainwashing to be in the advance medical book then it does to have it in the Matrix book. Also, the bit about the death of Leonora Bartoli is pretty much the most cyberpunk thing ever.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #188 on: <07-03-15/2001:07> »
I've gotten a bit more time to read more of this. And the mental health section was a great read. And I'm happy to see the comeback of brain hacking. It makes way more sense for brainwashing to be in the advance medical book then it does to have it in the Matrix book. Also, the bit about the death of Leonora Bartoli is pretty much the most cyberpunk thing ever.

Thank you! I'm quite proud of that one, and sicne Plan 9 orbits around it, you can never be sure how accurate it is.

You're teh first one to say anything about it, tho, so you get a gold star. :D

Chance

• Newb
« Reply #189 on: <07-03-15/2003:38> »
Bah! The wonder-widget NERPS has been unveiled. That's almost as frustrating as the terrible ToC and missing index...

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #190 on: <07-03-15/2036:46> »

Thank you! I'm quite proud of that one, and sicne Plan 9 orbits around it, you can never be sure how accurate it is.

You're teh first one to say anything about it, tho, so you get a gold star. :D

Its totally apart of my head canon now. I guess she must have died sometime before the first Matrix Crash or maybe around the same time in 2029, which might explain why no one heard about it. And if it was around the crash it'd have given her 10 years to live with her murderous cyberarm. That is terrifying, hilarious, and tragic all at the same time, and only from one little blurb. That's the kind of stuff I like in my Shadowrun.

deathwishjoe

• Chummer
« Reply #191 on: <07-03-15/2201:36> »
So I recently purchased Chrome flesh.  As others have mentioned the lack of a real table of contents is really pretty sad. I'm also disappointed in  the rules train wreck that is the custom drug section.  I eagerly await a rules clarification or a faq on that section in order to make it playable.  know what to roll in order to beat the addiction threshold is kinda fundamental when using a drug in sr5.  I'm also concerned that rules example  of wrecker making a custom drug doesn't seem to jive with the rules tables unless I'm misunderstanding something.  The addiction threshold and addiction rating seem much higher then the tables would seem to suggest.  This puts into doubt the entire validity of the charts used to make the custom drugs. 

Now a lot of people are complaining about the CFD virus getting featured in so many books.  I want to say I have enjoyed it.  Its like the authors are letting the readers experience a major world event in the world of shadowrun like the spread of VITAS, the first few months/years of the awakening happening or one of the matrix crashes . And we as players get to experience this world shaking event.  I remember another user making a statement about how they wish it was treated like the tempo story.  One book and then its over.  I disagree completely.  The fact that its appeared in so many of the books I feel emphasizes the importance and wide spread nature of this event.  The tempo story arc lasted for what a few months?  CFD is here to stay and even if a cure is found those already affected by it probably wont be recoverable with the original personalities having gone mad watching someone else control them for so long. The world of shadowrun will never be the same and I am excited to be part of this. 

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #192 on: <07-04-15/0720:26> »
One good point raised by a reader of my website is that with all the fluff in Chrome Flesh, he is forbidden by his GM to buy the book because it would spoil the story of their game.
It's true that usually gear/crunch books are meant for players, giving them more options to customize their characters. If they can't read it because it contains too much GM-only content, then there's a problem.
Personally I print extracts from the PDF with the gear list so that all players have access to it, but I understand not everybody has easy access to a printer.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #193 on: <07-04-15/0745:18> »
Personally, the "problem" I and a few others I know have with CFD is a combination of things.
To play shadowrun, you need a certain suspension of disbelief, just like with battletech.
The matrix, creatures out of tolkien books, etc.
Then came the nanites, and every techsavy person should be screaming "it doesn't work that way!". But you can make do, for it's a small part and fluff and ingame effect aren't specifically connected.
But apparently, someone at Catalyst saw it the same way, and his brilliant Idea was "let's gate this unbelievable thing behind something even less likely! That'll show 'em!". Yeah, I can't see how that could possibly backfire.
So now we have Nanites housing a sentient AI, individually capable to matrix combat, able to reproduce, reprogram other nanites of any kind, and directly manipulate a human being on a cellular level far better than science has managed to in a few millenia, all without any previous experience with the matter.
It's a bit jarring, like in every book there's a disclaimer "Hey, don't you think roleplaying is a really dumb idea? Why don't you go out and enjoy the weather? I mean, this is so silly!". It really continues the problem that started with the missions for "new players", in just slightly overdoing it.
As for the actual mechanics we now finally have, it can be used for opponents, or plot hooks, so it has a place in the world, so I can't complain about that, still, when I see a CFD section in a book I ignore it. It's best not to think about it too much.

Edit: One more thing about the actual PDF:
In older pdfs (till RF), the books had an extra "Cover page", so that's my base setting. But DT and CF don't, so I need to change my settings every time I'm watching those. Maybe that could be fixed with an actual TOC taking up two pages.
« Last Edit: <07-06-15/0848:46> by UnLimiTeD »
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

adzling

« Reply #194 on: <07-07-15/1701:16> »
Question for the freelancers: WTF does an active hardwire (@$4k per rating) cost LESS than an activesoft (@$5k per rating) that requires no surgery at all?

Please tell me how this makes any sense at all.

I'm listening....