NEWS

[SR5] Chrome Flesh

• 280 Replies

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #120 on: <07-01-15/0932:48> »
About the Negative Quality: Cyber-Snob p.57

"A character must have at least 1 point worth of Essence of betaware-grade cyberware or bioware to be able to take this quality."

Last time I checked, your not allowed to start play with Beta-grade ware, so why make a flaw that requires it?

Or am I missing something?

It's a good way to help pay off Restricted Gear I'm guessing?

Except, Restricted Gear doesn't give you access to Beta, it only increases the availability you can start with (Not the grade of cyber/bio-ware).

That's been a problem since 4th edition of that Qualities failure to be comprehensive enough. They need to Errata that into Restricted Gear or at least give us a separate Quality which will let us break the Used, Standard, Alpha Restrictions for Chargen without needing a sensible houserule to cover for it.

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #121 on: <07-01-15/0940:26> »

About the Positive Quality: Biocompatibility p.54

"the Essence cost of implants of the particular chosen type are reduced by ten percent, rounded down to the tenth."

Really?  That would mean that something like a datajack would round down to 0 (.1*.9 = .09 which this would round down to 0) Is this really intended?

This is just poorly written... considering the massive amounts of stuff they Cut & Pasted from 4th Edition that made absolutely no sense, I have no idea why didn't copy & pasted this.
"Biocompatibility
Cost: 10   BP
Something   about   the   character’s   body   is   exceptionally   accept- ing   of   either   bioware   or   cyberware   implants   (choose   one).   Not    only   are   the   implants   not   rejected,   but   they   seamlessly   fit   within    the   body,   having   less   impact   on   its   holistic   integrity.   In   game   terms,    the   Essence   Cost   of   implants   of   the   particular   chosen   type   are   re- duced   by   10   percent.   This   reduction   does   not   apply   to   genetech.    This   quality   may   only   be   taken   once."

Explains it's a .1 reduction just fine without a poorly written Word Problem to cause bad Math.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #122 on: <07-01-15/0950:26> »
And I would buy the hell out of a new SOTA book. You write it, I'll buy it.

Especially if it carried with it a retcon removal of the anti-nanotech path that got taken.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #123 on: <07-01-15/0952:04> »
This is just poorly written... considering the massive amounts of stuff they Cut & Pasted from 4th Edition that made absolutely no sense, I have no idea why didn't copy & pasted this.
"Biocompatibility
Cost: 10   BP
Something   about   the   character’s   body   is   exceptionally   accept- ing   of   either   bioware   or   cyberware   implants   (choose   one).   Not    only   are   the   implants   not   rejected,   but   they   seamlessly   fit   within    the   body,   having   less   impact   on   its   holistic   integrity.   In   game   terms,    the   Essence   Cost   of   implants   of   the   particular   chosen   type   are   re- duced   by   10   percent.   This   reduction   does   not   apply   to   genetech.    This   quality   may   only   be   taken   once."

Explains it's a .1 reduction just fine without a poorly written Word Problem to cause bad Math.

Zhoul,

This was replied to earlier in the thread:

About the Positive Quality: Biocompatibility p.54

"the Essence cost of implants of the particular chosen type are reduced by ten percent, rounded down to the tenth."

Really?  That would mean that something like a datajack would round down to 0 (.1*.9 = .09 which this would round down to 0) Is this really intended?

Badly written. The goal was to take, say, Alpha's 0.8 and reduce it to 0.72, which would be 0.7, but the phrasing on that was awful. The exact wording will come in errata, but it should read something like:

"Reduce Essence Loss from 'ware by an additional 10%, thus Alpha (Normally an Essence Cost of 0.8, ould become an Essence Cost of 0.7".

It'll make your read much better.

Shadowrun players can handle two digit Essence. At least I hope so, I have a bunch of 0.05 things in there!
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #124 on: <07-01-15/1430:22> »
Regardless, this should be in the errata. (And, for everyone, there will be errata, so any issues you find, LET US KNOW! The more you find, the more we can fix.)

P.165 Reaction Optimization.

"This augmentation
has no effect by itself and does not give additional
bonuses for higher Ratings of reaction enhancers. "

Higher than what?  If its rating 1, then "Only works with Rating 1" would be the way to spell it out.

adzling

« Reply #125 on: <07-01-15/1545:20> »
I noticed that too, something was lost in translation ;-0

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #126 on: <07-01-15/1546:41> »
I read that as meaning that optimization is +1 no matter what level REs you have.  It's flat; it doesn't scale.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #127 on: <07-01-15/1550:55> »
I read that as meaning that optimization is +1 no matter what level REs you have.  It's flat; it doesn't scale.
Exactly, it is a flat +1 bonus on top of the rating of your REs.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #128 on: <07-01-15/1558:55> »
"Upgrading an Existing Focus", p. 230, Street Grimoire.  I had held out hope that something similar would come around for augmentations, because mundanes really need the help.
you just want to upgrade Sam-7 some more :p

DamionRayne

• Newb
« Reply #129 on: <07-01-15/1616:19> »
To all...I passed the feedback along regarding the ToC (for both Chrome Flesh and Data Trails) to Jason this morning...he is aware. I believe that time constraints were the main reason for not including more detailed versions... :( They are considering releasing PDF indices, but no time frame at the moment.

Can we stop getting excuses and get quality products some time in the near future? Would be nice.

1. Stop shoving CFD in our faces. Most people don't like it (I'm one of the few that think's it's neat). How about proper campaign books instead of dozens of pages of "here's CFD weather you like it or not" that could have been devoted to rules, gear, tables, qualities, and in-depth explanations of stuff you lot have STILL yet to explain. You give us pages on drugs, and where's the more in-depth rules and look at addiction?

2. Also, hire a decent editor for a change that actually does his or her job instead of letting things like a table's column being listed as "essence" when it was supposed to be availability.

3. These ToC's are impossible to navigate, and utterly useless. Stop it. Seriously. We're sick of it.

There's my feedback.
Senior Staff - http://angryjoeshow.com/ajsa/index
Former Kerbal Space Program - Community Manager

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #130 on: <07-01-15/1710:03> »
Can we stop getting excuses and get quality products some time in the near future? Would be nice.

1. Stop shoving CFD in our faces. Most people don't like it (I'm one of the few that think's it's neat). How about proper campaign books instead of dozens of pages of "here's CFD weather you like it or not" that could have been devoted to rules, gear, tables, qualities, and in-depth explanations of stuff you lot have STILL yet to explain. You give us pages on drugs, and where's the more in-depth rules and look at addiction?

2. Also, hire a decent editor for a change that actually does his or her job instead of letting things like a table's column being listed as "essence" when it was supposed to be availability.

3. These ToC's are impossible to navigate, and utterly useless. Stop it. Seriously. We're sick of it.

There's my feedback.

So noted.

adzling

« Reply #131 on: <07-01-15/1800:25> »
3 books devoted to CFD is a bit much imho.
Isn't that a line editor's job to remove such redundancies and ensure content is not lop-sided?

I just think the line editor is not experienced enough to manage the content and or editing process.

Something's been going wrong for what, 2 years now.

That's a lot of time to get things right....

It makes me think Catalyst isn't even listening.

All would be forgiven (well most of it anyway) if they wen't back and updated the PDFs to incorporate the errata and fix the editing issues.
But we all know that won't happen as it won't make them any money.

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #132 on: <07-01-15/1810:31> »
All would be forgiven (well most of it anyway) if they wen't back and updated the PDFs to incorporate the errata and fix the editing issues.
But we all know that won't happen as it won't make them any money.
That's hard to be certain on. The counter factual of how many more people would take up the game if there were fewer issues is unknown.

adzling

« Reply #133 on: <07-01-15/1825:54> »
Fair 'nuff Darzil.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #134 on: <07-01-15/1840:46> »
So, the chapters that are all-fluff, we see a lot of pushback against. Noted.

Now, what about the crunch chapters? There's a lot of fluff in those as well ... is the balance closer to what you'd like to see? Is there too much fluff in, say, teh Cybernetic chapter? Not enough in the Bioware? About right?

A fluff-free book of nothing but lines of stats is never gonna happen, but getting the right *balance* is important.

(Also waiting a few weeks for people to start reading more of the fluff, to see what they think of THOSE parts. We're writers! We have fragile egos.)