NEWS

Deadly Waves out now, with all sorts of watercraft! Also, an Arsenal update!

• 71 Replies

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« on: <07-02-11/1944:33> »
So, we’ve had PDF publications covering aircraft (Unfriendly Skies), military vehicles (along with other military gear--MilSpecTech) and drones (This Old Drone). I’d say it’s high time we put some watercraft out there. So we did! Out now for your purchasing and perusing pleasure--Deadly Waves (for sale on the Battleshop and DriveThruRPG)! Let’s go to the rundown:

Run on Water

More than two-thirds of the Earth’s surface is covered by water. That means that two-thirds of the Earth is covered in escape routes, infiltration points, and hiding places that people stuck on land constantly overlook. If you want to know how to use all that blue to your advantage, you need to know the boats that are out there, what they can do, and how your competition is putting them to use.

Deadly Waves collects information about thirty different watercraft, from the fast and agile Wave Cutter to the luxurious, self-maintaining Zeppelinwerke Elite Cruiser to the hulking yet surprisingly quick Maersk-Jorgenson Fast Freighter. Runners can use this book to gain all sorts of options for taking to the water, whether they’re planning a quick jaunt or embarking on a long voyage.

Deadly Waves is for use with Shadowrun, Twentieth Anniversary Edition.

On top of that, we have a new printing of Arsenal--the book with the guns and the armor and the explosions and the hurting--that’s out and about. It has page references updated to Shadowrun, Twentieth Anniversary Edition, a few typo fixes, and a shiny new cover. Check it out at the Battleshop or DrivethruRPG! Note that if you have previously purchased the Arsenal PDF, these changes should be available to you as a free update.

Jason H.
« Last Edit: <07-02-11/1947:04> by JM Hardy »
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <07-02-11/1959:08> »
Well, that's one major advantage that PDF has over DTF.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-02-11/2035:20> »
That's assuming that 'a few typos' means errata.  I'm betting it doesn't.

Of course it will still be an advantage once errata for any current-ish product is actually created.
« Last Edit: <07-02-11/2037:24> by bigity »

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-03-11/0549:35> »
Yep, and the errata will of course be hand-delivered by Santa Claus.
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-03-11/0825:52> »
That's assuming that 'a few typos' means errata.  I'm betting it doesn't.
Well arsenal allready has errata.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #5 on: <07-03-11/2212:13> »
so would one of those erratta for arsenal be a lower availability on the Otomo drone that puts it under twenty?
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

Nebular

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-04-11/0116:50> »
Simply put, this is the old book with all of its printing errors but with a new cover, and the SR4 page references update to the SR4A page numbers. The original book listed the Fichetti Tiffani Needler as 6P(f) with AP +2. The errata corrected it to 8P(f) and AP +5. This was correctly presented in the Runner's Toolkit Compiled Tables booklet. Now I see that the shiny new re-release of Arsenal prints the Needler with the old, incorrect information of 6P(f) and AP +2 again. Avail and Cost information for the Hammerhead Arrow Head is missing again, Stick-n-Shock Arrow Heads are missing their price, page 25's Colt M24A3 Water Carbine picture is still mislabeled as "Warrior 10 Water Carbine", page 27, the Wildhuter is missing its RC (1) again, the description for Ink Grenade on page 37 is still incorrect saying "blank ink" instead of "black ink". Every single item that was supposedly fixed in the 1.3.2 errata from Sept 2008 is missing from this book. I really don't see how it's acceptable to let a new book contain errors that were supposedly fixed 2.5 years ago.

I also don't think it's unreasonable to expect that if the time and money had been invested in changing page reference numbers, cover art, correcting typos (but some how the typos in the errata are completely overlooked), and doing a new print run, that the errata could have been applied at the same time, especially since someone was already making changes to the document. It's not like the errata is overly long or complex. There was no mention that the errata had not been applied to the new printing. Had I have known this was what I would have been getting, I wouldn't have bothered to finally buy the PDF version of this book. When you talk about this being a new printing, changing the cover, and talk about making corrections, it tends to give them impression that the errors from the old printing have been fixed which is what I was expecting and why I purchased it.

When can we expect this PDF to be updated to contain the corrected information which it should have had to begin with?

Edit: Screw it. I emailed customer service and asked for a refund on BattleCorps (whether or not I get it is another matter). Paying for a new cover and page references is just dumb. You'll get my money when you fix the book like you should have done.
« Last Edit: <07-04-11/0917:09> by Nebular »
Need a SR4 character generator? Grab the latest version of Chummer, or check out the Chummer discussion for more information!

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-04-11/1252:15> »
Simply put, this is the old book with all of its printing errors but with a new cover, and the SR4 page references update to the SR4A page numbers. The original book listed the Fichetti Tiffani Needler as 6P(f) with AP +2. The errata corrected it to 8P(f) and AP +5. This was correctly presented in the Runner's Toolkit Compiled Tables booklet. Now I see that the shiny new re-release of Arsenal prints the Needler with the old, incorrect information of 6P(f) and AP +2 again. Avail and Cost information for the Hammerhead Arrow Head is missing again, Stick-n-Shock Arrow Heads are missing their price, page 25's Colt M24A3 Water Carbine picture is still mislabeled as "Warrior 10 Water Carbine", page 27, the Wildhuter is missing its RC (1) again, the description for Ink Grenade on page 37 is still incorrect saying "blank ink" instead of "black ink". Every single item that was supposedly fixed in the 1.3.2 errata from Sept 2008 is missing from this book. I really don't see how it's acceptable to let a new book contain errors that were supposedly fixed 2.5 years ago.

I also don't think it's unreasonable to expect that if the time and money had been invested in changing page reference numbers, cover art, correcting typos (but some how the typos in the errata are completely overlooked), and doing a new print run, that the errata could have been applied at the same time, especially since someone was already making changes to the document. It's not like the errata is overly long or complex. There was no mention that the errata had not been applied to the new printing. Had I have known this was what I would have been getting, I wouldn't have bothered to finally buy the PDF version of this book. When you talk about this being a new printing, changing the cover, and talk about making corrections, it tends to give them impression that the errors from the old printing have been fixed which is what I was expecting and why I purchased it.

When can we expect this PDF to be updated to contain the corrected information which it should have had to begin with?

Edit: Screw it. I emailed customer service and asked for a refund on BattleCorps (whether or not I get it is another matter). Paying for a new cover and page references is just dumb. You'll get my money when you fix the book like you should have done.

Sorry you had to find this out the hard way but thanks for posting.  I don't have Arsenal yet (just getting into SR4) and I was hesitant to purchase this for this exact reason.  I would rather some time and effort was spent on gathering and inserting errata fixes into existing products instead of small 15 page pdf supplements.  Not that they aren't worthwhile, but there are some bad, bad errata problems that need to be taken care of first.

Zen Shooter

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <07-04-11/1944:54> »
I'm ambivalent about this new format with the PDF minibooks, especially when they are so close together. Why not put Unfriendly Skies, Deadly Waves, Milspec Tech, and Gun Heaven together in one book and call it Arsenal 2? I understand the current format allows the buyer to pick and choose what they want, but it leaves me with a long list of small PDFs to go hunting for things in.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #9 on: <07-04-11/1959:16> »
I'm ambivalent about this new format with the PDF minibooks, especially when they are so close together. Why not put Unfriendly Skies, Deadly Waves, Milspec Tech, and Gun Heaven together in one book and call it Arsenal 2? I understand the current format allows the buyer to pick and choose what they want, but it leaves me with a long list of small PDFs to go hunting for things in.
I believe the plan is to eventually do exactly that, releasing them all bundled together in dead-tree format, eventually.  But I might just be making that up due to wishful thinking and my own (vaguely ironic) preference for physical books I can put on a shelf.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #10 on: <07-04-11/2001:29> »
I believe the plan is to eventually do exactly that, releasing them all bundled together in dead-tree format, eventually.  But I might just be making that up due to wishful thinking and my own (vaguely ironic) preference for physical books I can put on a shelf.
I just print them out and have them in small binders.

Of course, I have a laser printer and an insane amount of paper.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <07-04-11/2102:23> »

I'm pretty sure Hardy mentioned possible plans to eventually release bundles of them together in print format.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #12 on: <07-05-11/0101:56> »
Runner's Black Book, it's going to be called.  And will have a bunch of the PDF books bundled together, along with a few pieces of new information.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #13 on: <07-05-11/0631:06> »
Can we un-officially call it the "Omnibus of Chaos and Mayhem"?

8)

Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #14 on: <07-05-11/1024:52> »
Furthermore, Bogota now has, as of the Watersports pdf, enough access to water to make semi submersibles a viable smuggeling vehicle . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush