NEWS

When, if ever, will they start pruning more Jackpointers/etc due to age?

• 5 Replies

Voran

• Newb
  • Voran from Dumpshock. Making the move.
« on: <04-06-22/2020:43> »
Just something I think about from time to time.  With sort of a broad rule of thumb of "timeline in game is in-real-life date + 60 years.  Which results in things like young runners like /dev/grrl now being what...in her 20s? And older folk being...well older.  And then combine that with an older story framework where Jack was pointing out they on Jackpoint were getting insular and older and starting to miss things.  And that was before he moved onto parts unknown.

Sure we've got some immortal elves and dragons, and for others leonization might be possible, but are there plans to sunset, what do you otherwise imagine that would be like? I'm not saying get rid of the guys we know, but like I said, I start thinking about how old some of them are :)

Though I confess I wouldn't mind seeing Clockwork get geeked because he finally got too old and shit caught up to him.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #1 on: <04-12-22/1516:24> »
In the complete Trog they were at some pains to explain why some Orc posters were longer lived than everyone had expected.  So at least some writers are thinking about this.  But I don't know if they have a mechanism for making decisions about those characters (adding new ones, deleting old ones, changing who is running Jackpoint, or whatever)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <04-13-22/0940:10> »
Since the entire purpose of Jackpoint is for the older runners to mentor the younger runners (or at least inform them), I don't think pruning is what you want to do. Most of the "old" runners in the `trix are between 40-50 years old. If you want to see how old most are, check out the Street Legends/10 Jackpointers books for sale. They are timestamped around 2072-73, so about 10 years ago in-universe.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #3 on: <04-18-22/1031:54> »
Some of the elders are retired from running, but some certainly are not -- and I wouldn't expect many active runners to die from age related complications.

Not that I want to see many of them dying off.  But ultimately if new voices are to be added, removing some old ones will keep the lines/book of interesting jackpointers at a good level.

mik212

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-03-22/0940:57> »
New runners are being added. Off the top if my head Bifrost seems to be connected to the Unseelie and has posted in several books. They talk about there being "new" Jackpointers and even have the old ones tell off the new kids from time to time.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <05-03-22/1104:47> »
After FastJack's departure, the others (Glitch, Bull, and Slamm-0!) realized they had become too closed off from the world in the Jackpoint and started sending out invites (or accepting hackers that made their way in) to bring in new blood and have a lot more visitor passes gain access. Of course there are still the truly powerful (Laughing Man, Orange Queen) that drop by a lot more frequently nowadays, with some suspected Jackpoint Users being other Dragons/Immortal Elves/Etc.