NEWS

Fake SINs and names

• 107 Replies

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #60 on: <02-21-11/1330:28> »
I know that ethnic intermingling has expanded to such an extent that there are people with really weird mixes, things like "Pedro Nguyen", or "Pyotr Nwakaego". (That last one is Nigerian.)

As for people getting names in leet, I'm not so sure. Yes, it's prevalent enough that it warrants its own dialect specialization in the language skills, but names? Someone may make his shadow-alias something like "DeathKnight13", but I really don't see someone's legal name going this route.

The bold part is the problem.  Most SINless have no "legal" name.  As far as Fake SINs go I have no problem with them being things like DeathKnight13, Box-Karr, or Dakka.  :)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #61 on: <02-21-11/1553:46> »
Someone legally changed their middle name to "Megatron" IRL.

But, for one of my characters, he used his real name for his fake SIN.  "John Quincy Public".
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #62 on: <02-21-11/2209:04> »
I know that ethnic intermingling has expanded to such an extent that there are people with really weird mixes, things like "Pedro Nguyen", or "Pyotr Nwakaego". (That last one is Nigerian.)

As for people getting names in leet, I'm not so sure. Yes, it's prevalent enough that it warrants its own dialect specialization in the language skills, but names? Someone may make his shadow-alias something like "DeathKnight13", but I really don't see someone's legal name going this route.

The bold part is the problem.  Most SINless have no "legal" name.  As far as Fake SINs go I have no problem with them being things like DeathKnight13, Box-Karr, or Dakka.  :)

You have a point there, its all about style so its just a matter of time before people start naming there kids names like that
But I didn't know he was a DRAGON!

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #63 on: <02-21-11/2229:41> »
I wouldn't mind "Johnny Cash".
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #64 on: <02-21-11/2233:48> »
I wouldn't mind "Johnny Cash".
Distinctive Style:  "Man In Black".

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Man Who Walks At Night

• Newb
« Reply #65 on: <03-02-11/2323:34> »
I've always allowed for a few factors in Fake SINs.  If they had the time, money and will to either have it made, loads of time to look through the selection (basically window shopping a SIN), or make a "something like this" request they can pretty much get whatever they're after.  If they're in a bit of a hurry or skimping on cash I grab the nearest phone book and randomly select,  If they have nearly zero spare time and are taking whatever they can afford, I come up with some insane name usually blending the most outlandish names I've heard on TV recently (Well, Mr. Kanye Swift, it seems you have no warrants for your arrest....).

One thing my group strives for is that all their fake SINs have the same initials and they prefer that they all have the same fake first name (oft times their character's real first name).  Nothing blows a cover faster than answering to "Hey, Frank!" when you've just announced you name is Morty or checking into a hotel where your target is staying and you luggage monogram is wrong.

Luggage monogram? really?  Sorry, that made me laugh :)
-Frag you and the hog you rode in on.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #66 on: <03-02-11/2330:32> »
It's the little things that trip you up.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Man Who Walks At Night

• Newb
« Reply #67 on: <03-02-11/2334:05> »

Very true, I just don't see any of my runners carrying around luggage with monograms on hehe.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #68 on: <03-03-11/0602:22> »

Very true, I just don't see any of my runners carrying around luggage with monograms on hehe.
And why wouldn't these monograms simply be keyed to a Fake Sin PAN change?

I'm Johnny Cash
Luggage = JC, Drivers License updates, License Plates shift over (Knight Rider style) :)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #69 on: <03-03-11/0721:18> »
Thats assuming that they even have proper luggage.  Most runners i've seen have duffel bags and back packs :P

Sid

• Chummer
« Reply #70 on: <03-03-11/0741:46> »
I'm Johnny Cash
Luggage = JC, Drivers License updates, License Plates shift over (Knight Rider style) :)
Do they actually have license plates any more? Considering how all-pervasive wireless is, and how the method of spoofing your car registration is a chip, I would have said 'no' ...

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #71 on: <03-03-11/0928:22> »
Don't they have Morph Plates in Arsenal?
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

aimlessfreak

• Chummer
« Reply #72 on: <03-03-11/0929:50> »
I think so, I don't have my copy with or I'd check

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #73 on: <03-03-11/1146:58> »
They do.  The plates aren't numerical any more, but I see them more as barcode-like, similar to what you see with the Delorian after it's flying upgrade.

Morphing Plates hardwire meshed with Spoof Chips are a must-buy for 'Runners.

Arsenal, Page 105, BTW.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Man Who Walks At Night

• Newb
« Reply #74 on: <03-03-11/1153:34> »
Thats assuming that they even have proper luggage.  Most runners i've seen have duffel bags and back packs :P

That was exactly my point :)