NEWS

Dryad Decker

• 10 Replies

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« on: <02-24-18/0958:29> »
This is my very first attempt at a Decker, in five editions, so any feedback is appreciated and welcome.

(Yes, I know Human would be a more "optimal" choice...for some reason my mind's eye has this one as a Dryad for no explicable reason.  ??? It just is.)

Sum-to-Ten:
[EDIT: Being updated to reflect feedback]

Banshee
METATYPE: DRYAD
B 1, A 3, R 4/5, S 1, W 5, L 6/8, I 5, C 3, ESS 0.45, EDG 1
Condition Monitor (P/S): 10 / 11
Armor: 16
Limits: Physical 3, Mental 9, Social 6
Physical Initiative: 9/13+1D6
Matrix Initiative: 6+4D6
Active Skills: Computer 6, Con (Fast Talking +2) 6, Cracking Group 6, Electronics Group 4, Exotic Melee Weapon: Monofilament Whip 6, Gymnastics 6, Hardware 6, Perception (Visual +2) 6, Pistols (Semi-Automatics +2) 6, Sneaking (Urban +2) 6, Software 6
Knowledge Skills: Small Unit Tactics (Shadowrunners +2) 6
Languages: English ('l33tspeak +2) 6, Japanese ('l33tspeak +2) 3, Russian ('l33tspeak +2) 3, Sperethiel N
Qualities: Albinism (w/ Cybereyes), Allergy, Common (Mild): Sunlight, Codeslinger: Hack on the Fly, Distinctive Style: Glamour, Faceless, Glamour, Latest and Greatest, Overclocker, Perfect Time, Quick Config, Symbiosis (45 meters) (6dicepool (3))
Augmentations:
. . Cerebral Booster (2)
. . Cyber Arm (Obvious) (Main Hand) w/ Cyberlimb Agility (7), Cyberlimb Strength (3), Enhanced Armor +2 (2), Fingertip Compartment
. . . . Little Hornet (Cyber) w/ Multidimensional Coprocessor, Sim Module, Modified for Hot Sim
. . Cybereyes (2) w/ Eye Protectors, Flare Compensation, Image Link, Low-Light Vision, Smartlink
. . Datajack
. . Move-by-Wire System (Used) (1)
Gear:
. . Agent (4)
. . Argentum Coat w/ -3 modifier for concealability, Custom Fit, Custom Fit (Stack), Increase Social Limit by 1
. . Baby Monitor
. . Ballistic Mask (Customized) w/ Gas Mask, Micro-Tranceiver
. . Bootstrap
. . Browse
. . Cloudless
. . Concealed Quick-Draw Holster
. . Configurator
. . Decryption
. . Defuse
. . Edit
. . Encryption
. . Evaluate
. . Exploit
. . Flashlight, Low-Light
. . Fork
. . Ghael Cetheral w/ Fake License: Concealed Carry (4), Fake License: Firearms (4), Fake License: Penetration Tester (4), Fake SIN (4), (1 month) Low Lifestyle
. . Hidden Gun Arm Slide
. . MCT Blue Defender
. . Medkit (3)
. . Nuke-from-Orbit
. . Paintjob
. . Search
. . Shredder
. . Signal Scrub
. . Smoke-and-Mirrors
. . Sneak
. . Stealth
. . Tool Kit, Hardware
. . Toolbox
. . Virtual Machine
. . Wrapper
Weapons:
. . Defiance EX Shocker [Taser, Acc 7, DV 9S(e), AP -5, SS, 4 (m)] w/ Personalized Grip, Smartgun System, External, (10x) Taser Dart
. . Savalette Guardian [Heavy Pistol, Acc 8, DV 8P, AP -1, SA/BF, RC 4, 12 (c)] w/ Gas-Vent System (3), Personalized Grip, (35x) Regular Ammo, Smartgun System, Internal, (2x) Spare Clips
. . Monofilament Whip [Exotic Melee Weapon, Reach 2, Acc 8, DV 12P, AP -8] w/ Personalized Grip
Contacts:
Doc Phoenix (Connection 1, Loyalty 1)
Midnight (Connection 5, Loyalty 2)
Starting ¥: 3D6 × 60¥

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Shadowrun © 2005-2017 The Topps Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Shadowrun is a registered trademark of The Topps Company, Inc.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
« Last Edit: <02-26-18/2344:50> by JoeNapalm »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-24-18/1138:51> »
I've been playing my my own decker lately, also the very first such character I've ever played across 5 editions of the game.

I think I see some of the same assumptions about being good/decent in a gunfight while also bringing decking to the team.  There are even some specific details that we both went with to this aim: Bone Lacing, Small Unit Tactics (not sure if any GM would consider "Shadowrunners" a legit specialization, but if yours does, bully for you for getting skill 8 for the price of 6!).

I've played my former Urban Brawl decker in 8 sessions.  Know how many times I've been shot at?  Zero.  How many times my decker has even pulled a trigger?  Zero.  Heck how many times I've even used SMU skill?  Once.  As a teamwork test to support a Face.

I'm not saying don't take them... just that maybe don't overly worry on that angle of things.  The adept/cyber tanks and sammies will handle fighting.  They'll win on their niche without needing that kind of help from the Decker :)

Another similarity with my decker is use of a budget cyberdeck.  Probably why we both have Overclocker :D Not to say picking a budget 'deck to have more resources for other things is inherently a bad idea... but if I were to do a 2nd decker no way would I do that strategy again.  Low Device Ratings and low thresholds for matrix actions is a REAL kicker.  You better really maximize what else you're getting elsewhere on the savings by scrimping on your 'deck.

Something that I'd say is most excellent is Overclocker. THAT is used every time my decker gets into any decking stuff.  Something I wish I'd have taken is the "Go Big or Go Home" quality.  I'm currently saving karma to purchase that:  It's pretty much mandatory if you want to do combat-bricking to support your team. 

Random thoughts:  Exotic wpns:Monowhip puzzles me.  With A3 and B1 (to say nothing of EDG1) I'm not sure you should be wanting to have anything to do with a monowhip. 

Drop whatever it takes to get Cerebral Booster.  Preferably level 2.  The augmented LOG stat is literally too good not to take.  Take it from someone who also didn't take Cerebral Booster in chargen ;)
« Last Edit: <02-24-18/1141:36> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #2 on: <02-24-18/1404:19> »
All good input, thanks.

Hopefully, this Decker will never have to take violent action -- I mean, that's that goal, yeah?

I will revisit some of the ware, but it's for the rainy day when drek breaks bad. We have a small team, so I'm not sure I can sit back and watch...but that vs primary role is probably too much, as you said.

SMU is supporting Teamwork for faster teammates. Using specializations from R&G (Military/LE/Shadowrunner/Gang).

The monowhip is in the fingertip of the cyberarm, so it's throwing 13 dice. Only B1 but throwing 24 resist...well, 16 vs the whip. :D I wanted something for if someone gets in their face that didn't rely on Str. Bit risky, but it has style!

Just clarifying my thoughts, though -- I appreciate the feedback and will look at those choices again.

-Jn-
« Last Edit: <02-24-18/1409:52> by JoeNapalm »

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-24-18/2325:41> »
I just find it hard to run an Edge 1 decker. Decker rolls are difficult,  and they often require cumulative rolls. It's a pain to get the 4 good rolls you need and then mess up the 5th.... with alarms blaring, your presence known, and then no real ability to risk trying again. 

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-24-18/2338:32> »
I just find it hard to run an Edge 1 decker. Decker rolls are difficult,  and they often require cumulative rolls. It's a pain to get the 4 good rolls you need and then mess up the 5th.... with alarms blaring, your presence known, and then no real ability to risk trying again.

Good advice. My Decker has 5 EDG and even that feels barely enough.  Decking mid-combat so often involves going for more than one mark at a time.  Real edge eater.  That's why I'd suggest "Go Big or Go Home".  Makes going for all 3 at once far less painful and less EDG dependent.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <02-25-18/0112:34> »
I'd suggest scaling way back, the rules of the road for combat decking, are general a single beefy cyber arm (Dump agi str and gey body 3), some init tech (wired 1 and enhancers is plenty), smartlink and the eyes to go with it. Want a melee option slap shock fist in that arm and your good to go. Add all mental bioware ya can. Run a one handed weapon (pistol preferably auto-pistol if you must). If ya still need more slap reflex recorder in there.  That Should get you 18+ dice on shooting easy.

As to the rest sleeping tiger, anti-ballistic mask, get some wheels.

why in god's name do you have made man on a dryad? what kinda self respecting mob has made dryad on their made list? Just the rumor of it could bring a boss down. If your gonna juggle trick, Overclock, perfecting time, and codeslinger, anything after that is bonus salsa. 

« Last Edit: <02-25-18/0114:25> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #6 on: <02-25-18/0657:05> »
I'd suggest scaling way back, the rules of the road for combat decking, are general a single beefy cyber arm (Dump agi str and gey body 3), some init tech (wired 1 and enhancers is plenty), smartlink and the eyes to go with it. Want a melee option slap shock fist in that arm and your good to go. Add all mental bioware ya can. Run a one handed weapon (pistol preferably auto-pistol if you must). If ya still need more slap reflex recorder in there.  That Should get you 18+ dice on shooting easy.

As to the rest sleeping tiger, anti-ballistic mask, get some wheels.

why in god's name do you have made man on a dryad? what kinda self respecting mob has made dryad on their made list? Just the rumor of it could bring a boss down. If your gonna juggle trick, Overclock, perfecting time, and codeslinger, anything after that is bonus salsa.

Made Man with the Laésa. Elvish Syndicate.  ;D

Why Pistol over Automatics? I struggled with that, but figured Automatics offered more utility.

Isn't Skills A the best bang for my Karmic buck in the long run? Getting anything more than a Little Hornet, plus the arm and brain 'ware and I'm Resources A, pretty much.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #7 on: <02-25-18/0823:14> »

Made Man with the Laésa. Elvish Syndicate.  ;D

Why Pistol over Automatics? I struggled with that, but figured Automatics offered more utility.

Isn't Skills A the best bang for my Karmic buck in the long run? Getting anything more than a Little Hornet, plus the arm and brain 'ware and I'm Resources A, pretty much.

When you run the single Arm Strat, to avoid stat averaging you must use single handed weapons. There's a specific example that allows single arm, one handed gun to work.   Automatics leads you to use SMG and Assault rifles, which is bad for the reason already discussed. Besides I firmly believe SS is gonna make a come back soon, with advent of magic bullets. Skill A can be a best value, and your method look pretty good for it, IE Everything possible maxed. Skill A looses value very quickly if the skill points are distributed in small packets. But it's very possible to do this with a lower skill value and higher attribute total. You need good will, while amazing logic, and Int to the best hacker you can be.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #8 on: <02-25-18/0934:57> »

DREK! I hadn't even thought about The Arm not working with ARs!

Great catch, thanks...I think.  ;)

I posted an updated version, in the OP, based on ongoing feedback. I figure no reason to flood the thread with updates.

(Amusing side note, I'd somehow set HeroLab to Prime Runner when I was changing it to Sum-to-Ten, so that was a real kick in the cybernads -- for one iteration of my build, everything just came up roses!  ;D :-[ :'()

-Jn-

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #9 on: <02-25-18/2133:09> »

Not sure if that Software list is anywhere near complete...

...Do I need like Blackout or Hammer or am I missing something else critical?

Thinking I should drop the Martial Arts...Herding seems like it could be amazing if, say, you were surrounded by go-gangers, but is highly situational...though the reason for having a melee skill was to have some way to deal with someone getting past the tanks and getting in her face, and it occurs to me that she can draw the monowhip as a Free Action, attack as a Complex Action with Herd to push attackers out of melee range, and then (thanks to Perfect Time) she can GTFO without provoking attacks from breaking off melee. Which is pretty awesome.

...but it is "All my 'ware is Used" awesome...Hmmm....

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #10 on: <02-26-18/2348:06> »

Nixed Martial Arts (Herding seems like a great move but just not worth 28% of the Free Karma) and...sigh...dropped Made Man for Codeslinger.

I figure the Face is responsible for all the Black Market stuff, anyway, and I can have nearly the same effect story-wise by making my Contact with the Laésa.

Still feeling adrift on which programs I need and done have and have but don't need.

That and I'd love 5 more Edge. :P

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist