NEWS

A quick shout out to the SR5 Matrix rules

• 198 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #165 on: <06-21-13/2033:14> »
It should all be a combination of hard and software, given that you can swap attributes around.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

DamienHollow

« Reply #166 on: <06-21-13/2038:37> »
Swap in what way? just upgrade them without concern for one and other? That would basically be firmware. Software on dedicated hardware.

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #167 on: <06-21-13/2041:57> »
See, I like the whole idea of reducing the dicepool modifiers. It makes that skillrank + attribute so much more important, it's grittier and I really like the flavor. Dumping the bonuses as a whole, rather than have players grumbling and having the stuff not work inside facilities anyway, sounds like something more fitting that gritty flavor. With the faster hacking, longer battles and a few houseruled options for hackers to spoof communications, I keep the gritty flavor while not going "urk" on DRM and XBone (which is now XBOX180, aka XBibo) stuff.
Well, I agree of sort on some points, but the fact is that if you dump all the bonuses instead of making them full part of the cyber instead of their "reduced equivalent without wireless", you will favor a lot implants that by their sheer presence give large bonuses (like wired reflexes, because IP do it better, indeed you would not get the reaction bonuses, but an IP is a lot more worth of losing your essence that just pushing a limit. If talking about character optimization, I prefer having Edge and higher quality gear and possibly some points left for something, that spending huge money on implants, being seen as very dangerous and having hard time because of it, be it socially, for your freedom and for your health. And not getting something really worth of it. External equipment has this advantage that when you need to let it go, it is easy, all it takes is to drop it. Difficult with cyber, then you have to improve even further or stay at the same place, but improving is more constraining and limited.
So if implants bonus are kept at the "low level" of SR5, I predict that your houserule would favor some combos, given some players.

For the mark access problem on items, it should not be related to the time/complexity of the related action you trigger, which if I followed well, is a second action after you put the mark on the item, but to the degree of security making sense to such a function. Because actually, a credstick payment should not be so long or complicated (if it is long, it pisses off corps because it is not time efficient so they lose money, which they don't like). And even with rating 5, if you only need one mark to make a fund transfert or a virtual payment to your credstick, well, there will be a new kind of trick for players that won't need to have to deal with car stealing and organ harvesting to pull up some extra money;)

SO saying that triggering a grenade is 1 mark is plain illogic for me. If you were needing wireless at all, that I'll accept for the sake of reasoning (but thinking of it, I would not think it is the same kind of wireless that what use decks and commlinks. The same way your bluetooth thing is not wifi, and that they are different from FM SB WB radiowaves and so on. So no hacking in this regard. Unless you decide to specifically use your brains against your own survival by linking this nice trigger command to your commlink for special effects;)).

There aren't really any cheap decks, but you can buy a comlink with a high firewall, slave all your wireless devices to the comlink and let the comlink defend the rest of your nodes.
Still Michael solution offer the advantage of not being dependant on the grid. Would I be a spider, what I would do if my site was attacked would be to cut access to outside matrix by cutting the relays on my field (cause in a building, this is likely that there must be relays to go outside of the Faraday Cage. Physics did not change so much in 70 years;))

Or you can just have your team's decker slave the gear to his deck (which could turn nasty if your decker crosses you...).
Or get wasted with a bullet. Deckers took so much of a powerup with their new all in one abilities that they could be the new mages (and as such, be shot/thrown grenades first).

As for new decks attributes, that is not so different from all 3 first editions, as their was some Force, Body, Masking and another (don't remember clearly, sorry), plus Hardening and MPCP as a device rating, and response were the wired reflexes of matrix. That only changed a lot in 3rd ed and totally in 4th. I guess that range could be assessed from device rating as it was part of its purpose in SR4. And I don't see too much to whatever else this rating could be used (that and being the opposite of noise, so you don't losing signal because of your cheap deck would be some kind of interesting challenge at times;)). Actually the idea of array is fine, will give more diversity, and I guess more constraint to customize instead of starting from scratch. This "return" to old attributes makes me regret even further program carriers;)
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."
Oscar Wilde

Great Dragon: "Oh, look, he has a grenade belt. I guess it is time to retire quickly".
The more it changes, the more it is not the same  any more...:P

DamienHollow

« Reply #168 on: <06-21-13/2046:04> »
or you can just use a datajack

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #169 on: <06-21-13/2106:28> »
Swap in what way? just upgrade them without concern for one and other? That would basically be firmware. Software on dedicated hardware.

I can't recall whether it is a Free, Simple, or Complex action, but you can on the fly exchange the valuses of the attributes.  You can go from Data Processing 4 and Firewall 3 to Data Processing 3 and Firewall 4.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #170 on: <06-21-13/2142:18> »
or you can just use a datajack
Signal as it's use, like being able to continue hacking while on the move in your car pursued by goons. Which is pretty difficult when you are attached to something with a wire;) Indeed, you can run, but you will only go so far as the lenght of the wire, I guess.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."
Oscar Wilde

Great Dragon: "Oh, look, he has a grenade belt. I guess it is time to retire quickly".
The more it changes, the more it is not the same  any more...:P

DamienHollow

« Reply #171 on: <06-21-13/2315:41> »
What would you be trying to hack and still be moving? I think basic security protocols would include needing to be wired. In addition, you're not going to be hacking cyber-ware or weapons as cyber-ware doesn't need (have?) wireless when it can be hooked to your nervous system. You're not going to be hacking guns either unless you're dealing with a moron or a few rare situations (like using smart contacts instead of goggles, glasses, or head ware.) Riggers are about the only people you're going to work over and we're not even certain on how easy that's going to be seeing as how they completely ditched the Response>System>Software approach... I'm going to miss that.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #172 on: <06-22-13/0122:41> »
What would you be trying to hack and still be moving? I think basic security protocols would include needing to be wired. In addition, you're not going to be hacking cyber-ware or weapons as cyber-ware doesn't need (have?) wireless when it can be hooked to your nervous system. You're not going to be hacking guns either unless you're dealing with a moron or a few rare situations (like using smart contacts instead of goggles, glasses, or head ware.) Riggers are about the only people you're going to work over and we're not even certain on how easy that's going to be seeing as how they completely ditched the Response>System>Software approach... I'm going to miss that.

1: The target might be wired only, but if it's connected to a wireless node it's accessible via wireless.
2: You seem to be assuming complete wireless isolation of the PAN.  You shouldn't - that's not all that typical.

And SR5 is a completely different story, as there are reasons why you might WANT to go wireless for your gear because it gives you certain advantages.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

DamienHollow

« Reply #173 on: <06-22-13/0141:53> »
So far we've heard of sealing chem suits with a free action as opposed to a complex... I don't think it's going to be all that useful as far as gear goes. Secondly, this is the second edition in which we have had full wireless capabilities. I think by now anyone who is competent will realize that the most secure thing they can do is simply log off. Even people who regularly operate in wireless mode will probably switch over to wired or simply not use it, doubly so if even one of their friends get's hacked. I'm not saying that going wired is perfect. I'm saying that all things considered it's the safest. Hell, odds are I'm not even going to be playing a rigger anymore unless they give us an effective means of protection against hackers as giving them a boost appears to be the primary objective of this edition. Used to be a good operation didn't give them time to do anything, they either never noticed you or you got out before they could. Then there's Sybil, which we still don't have a good grasp on... you know what, forget the data jack... i'll use goggles and bio-ware.

By now I suppose everyone's wondering why I hate wireless so much seeing as how I've been strongly opposed to it's use on runs. The reason is because I have survived three near party wipes because I was willing to ditch the digital and go old school. Spiders got two teams. Juhseung Saja Black IC got the other.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #174 on: <06-22-13/0204:32> »
We've heard of more than that - +rating dice for Vision/Audio enhancement (normal effect is just a limit modifier), +2 dice for a smartgun (normal effect is a limit modifier), wired reflexes and reaction enhancers stacking...  There've been a few that have been outlined now.  Some are certainly more useful than others - and that chem seal thing is a lot more useful than you think; just wait until you're getting gassed on a pass where you have no actions (as you still have a free action at that point).
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

DamienHollow

« Reply #175 on: <06-22-13/0245:18> »
We've heard of more than that - +rating dice for Vision/Audio enhancement (normal effect is just a limit modifier), +2 dice for a smartgun (normal effect is a limit modifier), wired reflexes and reaction enhancers stacking...  There've been a few that have been outlined now.  Some are certainly more useful than others - and that chem seal thing is a lot more useful than you think; just wait until you're getting gassed on a pass where you have no actions (as you still have a free action at that point).

If i'm in a situation where I'm likely to be gassed then odds are I already have my gas mask on as a convenient face covering anyways. If I'm dressed as John Q public then I'm in a situation where as I'm unlikely to get gassed. If I am being gassed while dressed like that then something has gone insanely wrong. Also, why would we get better modifiers for going wireless than going wired? Kind of counter intuitive ain't it?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #176 on: <06-22-13/0403:37> »

If i'm in a situation where I'm likely to be gassed then odds are I already have my gas mask on as a convenient face covering anyways. If I'm dressed as John Q public then I'm in a situation where as I'm unlikely to get gassed. If I am being gassed while dressed like that then something has gone insanely wrong. Also, why would we get better modifiers for going wireless than going wired? Kind of counter intuitive ain't it?

There's a lot of reasons why the bonuses can make sense - many of them have to do with distributed computing being a core piece of the new Matrix protocols.

And if you're going in with a gas mask, that's gonna be different from, say, putting a chem seal into your usual working armour - the latter is specifically there to be a non-intrusive way of being prepared for that situation where you DIDN'T think gas was a concern.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

DamienHollow

« Reply #177 on: <06-22-13/0429:54> »
You know what, screw it... I'm just going to leave the sparky bits to someone else and pack the strongest Jammer I can. Put it right next to my camera neutralizer and Leal grenades. Spend my drone money on bioware.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #178 on: <06-22-13/0449:50> »
We've already been told the proper citizens will use the wireless in vast numbers. The Corps are pushing it. The only questions are if shadowrunners will use it and  how deep it will spread into the noncorp areas. What this means is that there will definitely be targets for deckers to hack.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #179 on: <06-22-13/0511:29> »
We've already been told the proper citizens will use the wireless in vast numbers. The Corps are pushing it. The only questions are if shadowrunners will use it and  how deep it will spread into the noncorp areas. What this means is that there will definitely be targets for deckers to hack.

And, of course, if you aren't on the Wireless....what are you hiding? You must be up to no good.....