NEWS

What about Warhammer 40K?

• 15 Replies

hazmat the monstar

• Chummer
  • www.hazmatthemonstar.com
« on: <10-14-10/1547:00> »
I would love to start playing Warhammer (40K) But that seems awfully expensive. I had the warhammer box set when i was a kid, but never got anyone to play, and it's lost now.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <10-14-10/1554:59> »
Both Warhammer Fantasy and 40K are fun to play. Unless you have a limited income. ;)

When the winner is determined by who has spent more money and can create the better armor, I stay away from the game. Not too mention that the game's power creep is terrible where the best faction is the one with the most recent sourcebook.

But it is a fun game. I thoroughly enjoy the Stupidity rolls for Trolls and Nerf-herders in Fantasy. The cost prohibits me from playing more than demo games at cons, however.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #2 on: <10-14-10/1712:53> »
Warhammer and 40k are fun if you've got the money to invest in gathering an army (which can be partially alleviated by buying used), if you've got the time to invest in assembling and painting said army (which can be partially alleviated by buying used or, if you've got the budget, paying someone else), if you've got the capacity to keep up with the rulebooks in order to stay with the SotA curve (which can be partially alleviated by having a good gaming group), and if you've got regular opponents who will (a) be able to play often enough to let you have fun with it, and (b) not be douchebags with the rules, wreck your fun, be hypercompetitive, etc, etc.

It's like most wargames in all those ways, basically, with the caveat that you'll tend towards needing a larger army, but will tend towards a larger used market (to somewhat make up for it) when compared to the likes of Warmachine or Hordes.

hazmat the monstar

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <10-14-10/1716:07> »
That's what I'm thinkin'. Maybe someday when I'm rich. And when I can go to the conventions. lol

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #4 on: <10-14-10/1756:46> »
I love the Warhammer 40k universe, and would love to play the TT minis game, but alas, I am poor and it's insanely expensive and time consuming (painting anyway), so I just stick to WH40k:DOW computer RTS game. /sigh ... lol
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

hazmat the monstar

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <10-14-10/1801:42> »
I second your ...sigh...

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: <10-14-10/1930:11> »
Actually got sick of the worlds... moved to Warmachine for a bit, but I've been REALLY sick of Fantasy overall.  Gotta give Warmachine credit though for doing the smaller army thing.  Games were faster and more fun than I had with 40K

Battletech (in Mechwarrior scale) is pretty much it for the minis games around here now.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

hazmat the monstar

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <10-14-10/1956:30> »
Awesome. I just downloaded the quick start rules for battletech. forget warhammer. I'm not into big money games. i already spent plenty of money on Shadowrun.

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-15-10/0813:50> »
I've been playing battletech since I was 6 years old. XD I'm a little bias towards it. Minis still cost money, and they're not cheap, but they're MUCH cheaper than warhammer minis. And a cheaper game in general. Since you don't need whole ARMIES of crap.
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <10-15-10/0911:00> »
Also, in Warhammer, if you're playing an "official" game, you have to play with the mini that you have listed in your army. Whereas Battletech is more lenient, allowing you to substitute pieces for mechs that you don't have minis for. (Unless they are part of the Unseen, but that's another forum entirely.)

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #10 on: <10-15-10/1427:01> »
Also, in Warhammer, if you're playing an "official" game, you have to play with the mini that you have listed in your army. Whereas Battletech is more lenient, allowing you to substitute pieces for mechs that you don't have minis for. (Unless they are part of the Unseen, but that's another forum entirely.)

One of the best BT games I ever played was with various candies representing the different weight classes/factions. And during the game if you kill it, you eat it.

8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-23-10/0954:19> »
For 40K I have armies (and I really do mean armies) for...Ultramarines, Tau, Dark Eldar.

Warhammer Fantasy armies...(the wife's) Wood Elves, Orks, Vampire Counts, and Imperial.

Great miniatures...insanely expensive!
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <10-23-10/1042:52> »
The best 40k army is usually the latest Space Marine army book.  While I have three armies for 40k (although it could be argued that my Tyrannid force is too out of date to be playable), and absolutely LOVE the look of my Tau force, I won't touch 40k with someone else's hands.  I prefer the orginal Rogue Trader or 2nd edition rules to the what exists now.

I don't want to hit someone with my magic sword in a science fiction space combat game.  I want to maneuver my force and apply firepower, with the occasional melee fight.  Now, melee combat begins on turn 2 (or sooner) and then...you just roll dice.  Woo, yaaaay.  Sorry, it's just not the game I want to invest in anymore.

Fantasy has made a good comeback for me recently, since they moved away from Herohammer.  I would really like to play my undead force or maybe pick up a skaven force.  Alas, I suffer from the same lack of funds as others on the board.

WARMACHINE (has to be all caps) is really fun and fast paced, with more tactical choices being brought about on the table top as opposed to during list building.  This, I like, a lot.  HORDES (also has to be caps) is the fun and furious half-brother of WARMACHINE, and I highly recommend it, as well.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #13 on: <10-23-10/1358:55> »
The best 40k army is usually the latest Space Marine army book. 
I would amend that with just "...is usually the latest army book," personally.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <10-24-10/0923:32> »
Not lately, DE book's out (so to speak) and it doesn't hold a candle to Space Wolves SM codex, which is much older.  Neither does the Blood Angels codex, for that matter, which also came out later.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."