NEWS

Shadowrun, Sixth World Developer's Notes

• 38 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <05-16-19/1723:31> »
Not expecting perfection. But attributes are crazy important in this game. This gets metas more of them. Depending on how it works you can potentially dump those stats focusing your attributes A on the rest. And you’d likely still have plenty for a decent edge since I bet you can get out with skills d perfectly fine.

Sort of like a cyber limb gimmick.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #31 on: <05-16-19/1746:47> »
Maybe the true developer notes were the friends we made along the way.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <05-16-19/1747:42> »
Maybe the true developer notes were the friends we made along the way.

They need a like function on this forum.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #33 on: <05-19-19/2038:33> »
Honestly, depending on your role, you don't really need more than a single point in Perception. There are plenty of mechanical aids to cover for or replace your natural perception ability that you can easily buy hits to pass a threshold 1 test, even if you are defaulting. As long as SOMEONE in the group has good perception, it isn't necessary for EVERYONE to have it.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <05-20-19/0958:02> »
Derailing things slightly, I'd like to say that while I appreciated Jason Hardy's developer notes, they told me precisely nothing that I hadn't already heard from other channels or sources.

Banshee, on the other hand, is telling us all sorts of things that we didn't otherwise know as we all clamor for details.

@Banshee Thank you for taking part in the conversation to the extent that your NDA allows. I very much appreciate the time and effort of your outreach and I bet the others feel the same as well. You are the true developer's notes!

thanks, Shadowrun has been my passion from the very first day I picked up a copy 30 years ago and I have had the opportunity for several years now to do some fun things but helping develop the new edition is definitely number one ... so I love to talk about it.
I have SO many things I would love to openly discuss but that pesky NDA keeps getting in the way so I can only cover so much until the book is released publicly. Until then my plan is to do my best in at least trying to keep what information that is released accurate.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <05-20-19/1011:08> »
Honestly, depending on your role, you don't really need more than a single point in Perception. There are plenty of mechanical aids to cover for or replace your natural perception ability that you can easily buy hits to pass a threshold 1 test, even if you are defaulting. As long as SOMEONE in the group has good perception, it isn't necessary for EVERYONE to have it.

A bunch of skills are like that. And given karma costs it’s why a lot of people don’t take them. Then learn that after the first run or two.

Voran

• Newb
  • Voran from Dumpshock. Making the move.
« Reply #36 on: <05-30-19/0307:05> »
I will say that while 3.5 DnD and Pathfinder that grew from it had their own issues, I would really like if Shadowrun got to that level of balanced ease and complexity that kept that tier of edition going.  Honestly tho I don't really have suggestions on HOW that might happen, its more a feeling you get as you look over the way stuff is setup.

lore wise, I'm wondering how far away we might be from GitS level 'braincases' and full cyborg bodies, without all the essence issues/cyberzombie stuff.  Or the Altered Carbon, 'full bio/etc enhanced sleeve and stacks', something to balance out the 'magic is king' feeling I feel sometimes with the setting.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <05-30-19/0834:20> »
I will say that while 3.5 DnD and Pathfinder that grew from it had their own issues, I would really like if Shadowrun got to that level of balanced ease and complexity that kept that tier of edition going.  Honestly tho I don't really have suggestions on HOW that might happen, its more a feeling you get as you look over the way stuff is setup.

lore wise, I'm wondering how far away we might be from GitS level 'braincases' and full cyborg bodies, without all the essence issues/cyberzombie stuff.  Or the Altered Carbon, 'full bio/etc enhanced sleeve and stacks', something to balance out the 'magic is king' feeling I feel sometimes with the setting.

Maybe make essence a stat that can increase for mundanes so the only limit is more body location than essence. Like you can’t have 2 sets of slurs in the same spot.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <05-30-19/1144:36> »
The fact that they have streamlined skills down that far is very encouraging.  If they can actually balance the priority system this might actually be a playable edition.  But the editing quality control will have to be about 500% better than it was in 5e.  The editing issue will be the main reason that I will not be putting any money into this Sixth World until I see a SOLID block of positive reviews.