NEWS

Renraku Arcology - Is it still (In canon) Deus' house of horror?

• 17 Replies

Ympulse

• Omae
« on: <07-12-12/0532:12> »
I've been looking into the material I have (Which admittedly isn't much outside of the 'core' books) and outside of the Renraku Arcology "incident" there is no longer any mention about it. My question, as the topic states, is is the Arcology still run by Deus? Or has Renraku cleaned it up and it's back to being a massive Arcology of corporate doom?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-12-12/0612:29> »
I've been looking into the material I have (Which admittedly isn't much outside of the 'core' books) and outside of the Renraku Arcology "incident" there is no longer any mention about it. My question, as the topic states, is is the Arcology still run by Deus? Or has Renraku cleaned it up and it's back to being a massive Arcology of corporate doom?

It was taken away from Renraku and given to the sprawl of Seattle, where it now stands as the ACHE; the Arcology Housing and Commerce Enclave. The Mall is open again (five stories), 200 floors of cheap public housing, but the top floors are still sealed off. (There may or may not be activity up there from drones and things.)

Those who shop there can come and go as they please, but the residents are confined to the interior of teh ACHE and can't leave ... in essence, it's a giant prison for 100,000 poor people.

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #2 on: <07-12-12/0634:48> »
They basically took the place where 100k people were imprisoned, brutalized, tortured, and experimented on by a mad AI... hosed down the walls a bit, put a fresh coat of wireless inhibiting paint down on the new wi-fi blocking drywall, and started chucking in everyone who was too poor to say no to free (horrible) food, free (vending machine) clothes, and free (prison style) housing for the rest of their lives. The floors they did turn over were the ones that were largely the mazes, zombie rooms, and 'medical' wards under Deus.

Oh, and they never cleaned out the old hardware since it's, well... required to run the various arcology systems. There was a short fiction blurb in one of the SR4 sourcebooks where a technomancer went into the system and was almost instantly tossed out because 'it's full of ghosts!'.

And still, folks are signing up to live there. The admissions line is so long that they have multiple in-processing locations (but no out-processing, of course). It's 100k full again and still more arrive.

It's the Barrens-in-a-can, and the can isn't so strong as it used to be.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <07-12-12/0738:57> »
It's the Barrens-in-a-can, and the can isn't so strong as it used to be.
And like El Infierno in LA, eventually those walls are going to come tumbling down, and there'll be hell to pay.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #4 on: <07-12-12/0802:34> »
Sounds like a epic roach motel.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #5 on: <07-12-12/1445:43> »
Sounds like a epic roach motel.
Only where the roaches are killer drones that might still be active, somewhere just over your head in the top levels of the building.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #6 on: <07-12-12/1704:39> »
Well there are roach motels and then there are roach motels. And that is before we consider the possibility of roach insect spirits ;)
Want to see my flash new jacket?

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #7 on: <07-12-12/1859:54> »
Please. I hope one of you freelancers is working on this....

I had SOOOOOOOO much fun and heartbreak with the shutdown module. A return to there to see what else might be going on would actually put one of my characters into apoplectic fits. I ran this on Shadowland and in a home game, good time good times.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-12-12/1906:55> »
Heh. Since one of my characters is a former Blue, I would love to see an adventure or two involving the SCIRE. I can't wait for SR 2050 to come out.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-13-12/0023:32> »
Please. I hope one of you freelancers is working on this....

I had SOOOOOOOO much fun and heartbreak with the shutdown module. A return to there to see what else might be going on would actually put one of my characters into apoplectic fits. I ran this on Shadowland and in a home game, good time good times.

Well, there could be NDA things that stop freelancers from saying things.

I will say that the darn thing is just sitting there, waiting for someone to pick it up and run with it. There've been hints that bugs have moved in, hints that there're still fragments of Deus running around it, rumors that some of the old Blues and Whites are still lurking in crawlspaces, and way more. It's a dang treasure trove of plots.

It'sn an anthill that I, for one, would love to kick, see what tumbles out.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <07-13-12/0640:59> »
And even if there aren't fragments of Deus in the upper levels, there's still the possibility of drone schematics, the cyberware used to form the Network, and whatever else Deus might have been cooking up in his spare time. Oh, and the possibility that some spark might set the 'residents' into a riot that could spill out onto the streets of Seattle, causing who knows what kind of chaos in the middle of an election year.

My Characters

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <07-13-12/0821:04> »
Hmmm...now I need to run another pbp game just to explore these issues :)  I too loved the apocalyptic shutdown module and the stuff around Deus!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #12 on: <07-13-12/0836:10> »
Well, there could be NDA things that stop freelancers from saying things.

I will say that the darn thing is just sitting there, waiting for someone to pick it up and run with it. There've been hints that bugs have moved in, hints that there're still fragments of Deus running around it, rumors that some of the old Blues and Whites are still lurking in crawlspaces, and way more. It's a dang treasure trove of plots.

It'sn an anthill that I, for one, would love to kick, see what tumbles out.
Oh I know all about the NDA's. I had two with Fasa, one with Fanpro and I've got one with Catalyst.
I knew that they  can't say anything about it, I'm just showing that there is interest so it doesn't get sidelined.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #13 on: <07-15-12/1105:25> »
All of the upper levels that aren't being used for the projects-in-a-can are occupied by Joint Task Force Seattle. They've spent the last 10+ years trying to dig into things and figure them out. There's been mention in a few modules, mainly in fiction fluff about various Prime Runners being brought on as temp contractors to try and figure this or that piece of something-or-other a few times, but there's still plenty of things to play with in the place.

Right now, in my campaign (Sept. 17, 2072), a horror-like entity is attempting to use the arcology as the focal point for a blood magic ritual that involved blowing up eleven downtown skyscrapers around it and using long term psychotropic BTL conditioning to trigger a nearly spontaneous metroplex-wide riot. The players are having some fun trying to get from their base to their mission target in the middle of all this. And when they get there, they get to try and keep a messed up alliance between an insect hive and master shedim from blowing up in the middle of all this.

I love breaking their brains a little every adventure. ^_^
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #14 on: <07-15-12/1249:02> »
ooh, Valashar can you send me your notes for that....it sounds fun
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget