NEWS

New Revolution

• 56 Replies

Wickidsurfer

• Newb
« on: <05-30-11/2156:52> »
I've been really diving into shadowrun 4e lately(mostly 2nd and a little bit of 3rd in the past).  I remember reading about New Revolution.  But it looks like in 2064 they made a power play for the UCAS government.  Was that covered in any novels or in detail in any of the sourcebooks?  I've been browsing about it all I can find is one paragraph that seems to just get recycled over and over again in various books.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <05-30-11/2203:20> »
That's the thing about Shadow Governments, they tend not to get much time in the spotlight.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-30-11/2246:16> »
The original New Revolution writeup was a chapter in Threats 2, and then a couple of references that they might be behind some shady shit between then and SOTA64. Finally, there was the 1,800-word writeup in System Failure.
Quote from: System Failure, 107
Though defeated, the New Revolution has an impact in North America’s political landscape. Some countries are severely bruised (UCAS, Sioux Nation) or experience radical change (Tir Tairngire, Ute). A few pretend it’s business as usual (California, CAS).

There have been very few references since because, um ... I don't know. The whole time jump left a bunch of things hanging that shouldn't have been. Whatever. A couple of references were made about Colloton's speech and her possible ties to the NR. There is at least one direct reference to her Tree of Liberty speech in Spy Games, and another about someone involved. I can't recall the others offhand (I've pretty much shut off re: SG), but I wrote those two.

I'm kind ambivalent about the NR because it's a movement that will never die so long as the U.S. is not whole, but also because it's seemed like more of a joke to me. But it is intrinsic to the DC canon now, so you can guess whether I'll be referencing the NR in the DC section of Conspiracy Theories.
« Last Edit: <05-30-11/2249:30> by Crimsondude »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #3 on: <05-30-11/2247:49> »
Great, the Shadowrun equivalent of The Enclave from Fallout is coming back.   ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-30-11/2253:21> »
I don't play video games, but my approach to the NR years ago was that it was as batshit a plot as the Metal Gear series.

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-31-11/1102:34> »
You can bet Ares has quit backing these losers and might be playing the long game of working thier way into various nations across the continent to begin 'the long march' through said institutions for eventual reunification
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

Wickidsurfer

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <05-31-11/1752:06> »
Yeah I was writing up a character history for a friends campaign and decided that he would have been in the military about the time the attempted coup took place.  I was just looking for history of what took place after the coup and noticed it was absent.  I will assume most of what transpired afterwards was shadowbiz and black ops.  I will inform my GM that he can run wild with the metaplot that happens between 2064 and 2072.  What ever became of the new revolution can be his call. 

In writing my history I just noted that after the initial attempt; my character went on assignments to break up remaining new revolution militant strongholds....

Noting the conspiracy potential surrounding Gen. Colloton's.  Perhaps my character has his own theories after the stuff he has seen.

As an aside, when is conspiracy theories slated to hit shelves?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-31-11/2211:56> »
Well ... I'm still writing the first draft. So given the development schedule of Spy Games, which is my only published work, I'd like to say Christmas. Plus, after Gen Con the big sales push for everything doesn't really come until Christmas Season. But really, who knows? CT is a different beast from SG. Sadly, it would probably come out sooner, but right after I signed my contracts for CT and Artifacts Unbound I got distracted by matters that kept me from finishing them back in Feb/March. So I'm still hoping that in the end 2011 will have, aptly enough, quite a few books (plus ebooks) released.

There were some Season 2 (Denver) Missions NPCs who had been Special Forces who hunted down NR conspirators. In Sixth World Almanac, the publicly-known ringleaders (at least in the UCAS) were rounded up and almost summarily hanged as traitors. I don't know what ever happened anywhere else except Ute and Tir (Well, Ute collapsed. That's the extent of it). I make a reference in SG that the Sioux don't want non-Tribals in the Truth Dancers while PCC does, and the Pueblo snarkily responds that "It wasn't Anglos and Hispanics who briefly took over Cheyenne." So take of that what you will.

Wickidsurfer

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <06-01-11/0840:52> »
 ;D  Thanks for the info.  I figured that there would be fervent actions against any known New Revolution after the coup.  I look forward to Conspiracy Theories!  Keep up the good work!!!

BlackMyron

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <06-07-11/2305:13> »
 The New Revolution fell victim to internal betrayal.  System Failure made it clear that Colloton was a member, but she essentially betrayed the coup attempt to garner power for herself.  So there's probably two factions now - Colloton's, and the remnants of the coup that are probably out for her blood.
  The only issue I have?  Colloton hasn't really done much to further its goals - I thought at the very least she'd take advantage of the chaos of recent years to reintegrate the remains of the CFS back into the UCAS.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <06-07-11/2309:56> »
Colloton hasn't done anything OVERT to further the goals.

Do we know all of the bills she pushed through Congress?  With the riders?  The best revolutions are the ones that are done from within, and are brought on by ourselves.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-07-11/2317:12> »
System Failure ...

Anyway, no, the one law that has been mentioned is the Military Recovery Act.

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <08-29-11/1342:22> »
But things will get interesting if you get someone competent in charge of the New Revolution. I can see a series of Wetwork and infowars jobs to start discrediting opponents to the long term goals. Now simply start with a proposal of economic development over NorthAM and play up the paranoia against Aztlan and you will get the UCAS, CAS, PCC, and few of the NANers at least listening
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <08-29-11/1530:00> »
Aztlan seems to be playing ball to that, with the invasion over trees.

I either need to read that book again, or just get used to the fact that they went to war over some damned trees!!!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #14 on: <08-29-11/1534:52> »
Yeah I was writing up a character history for a friends campaign and decided that he would have been in the military about the time the attempted coup took place.  I was just looking for history of what took place after the coup and noticed it was absent.  I will assume most of what transpired afterwards was shadowbiz and black ops.  I will inform my GM that he can run wild with the metaplot that happens between 2064 and 2072.  What ever became of the new revolution can be his call. 

In writing my history I just noted that after the initial attempt; my character went on assignments to break up remaining new revolution militant strongholds....

Noting the conspiracy potential surrounding Gen. Colloton's.  Perhaps my character has his own theories after the stuff he has seen.

As an aside, when is conspiracy theories slated to hit shelves?

I did the same...my guy's got a history in Black Ops, so it worked out nicely.

It's actually a great theme...guy joins the military as a patriot, finds things aren't as black and white as he once believed, ends up doing wetwork vs radicals that espouse his own ideals. It's rife with angst.  :P

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist