NEWS

Questions for the SRM FAQ Committee

• 78 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #45 on: <06-26-18/0145:51> »
I have Opinions about using Agility in VR, especially given the explanation provided in the material as to why Agility is used (AR stuff), but I'll just houserule that and stick to Agility in Open Events.

Don't we already have Swarm for Drone Teamwork? Doesn't a full teamwork test here make Swarm worthless?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #46 on: <06-26-18/1039:55> »
Drones and teamwork tests:  Dog Brain Drone cannot assist Meat People.  Dog Brain Drone can assist other Dog Brain Drone is they are on the same RCC.  Rigger possessed drone can assist Meat People.

As with any teamwork test, as long as it makes sense.

Sooo... let's say a Rigger has a drone with a mechanical arm and an appropriate Technical Skill software package (say, Automotive Mechanics).  That drone cannot assist the Rigger on Automotive Mechanics (based on the first sentence) or it can assist the Rigger (based on the second sentence)?

Or is the Rigger forced to assist a Drone on a technical task rather than it working the other way around?
« Last Edit: <06-26-18/1148:14> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #47 on: <06-26-18/1312:56> »
I have Opinions about using Agility in VR, especially given the explanation provided in the material as to why Agility is used (AR stuff), but I'll just houserule that and stick to Agility in Open Events.

Don't we already have Swarm for Drone Teamwork? Doesn't a full teamwork test here make Swarm worthless?

Swarm rules still apply.  The RCC note is for drones not in a swarm.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #48 on: <06-26-18/1313:41> »
Thank you guys for finding time to look those over and giving us rulings on those.

not to add to your plate but did the FAQ committee look at skill wire and cold sim addictions?

Will be adding to the FAQ, same as Foci and Hot Sim.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #49 on: <06-26-18/1314:10> »

Swarm rules still apply.  The RCC note is for drones not in a swarm.
Yeah, but Teamwork is superior to Swarm in teamwork bonus.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <06-26-18/1324:14> »
Sooo... let's say a Rigger has a drone with a mechanical arm and an appropriate Technical Skill software package (say, Automotive Mechanics).  That drone cannot assist the Rigger on Automotive Mechanics (based on the first sentence) or it can assist the Rigger (based on the second sentence)?

Or is the Rigger forced to assist a Drone on a technical task rather than it working the other way around?

Cases like this are odd.  In a home game, I would allow it.  The committee agrees that instead of a teamwork test, and appropriate assistant drone should give a dice pool modifier, GMs discretion.  That, of course, has some implications that may get touched on later.  feel free to open a thread to discuss it.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #51 on: <06-26-18/1327:23> »
snip
Yeah, but Teamwork is superior to Swarm in teamwork bonus.

Potentially.  I guess it depends on dicepools.

The odds of glitching a single swarm test is generally going to be less than the odds of one of the dog brains glitching a teamwork test.

It makes sense to me, in a way... if you are on the cheap, you get a mass control program.  If you have advanced kit, programming, and money, your drones can act with more precision.  But try it with cheapies and you're liable just to muck things up when one of the drones goes rogue.

So it's a choice that comes with some risk and is easier the more you invest into your drones.

Anyway, that's what I'm going with :P

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #52 on: <06-26-18/1500:41> »
which attribute does a Rigger use to shoot if jumped in?  Agility in ALL cases UNLESS there is a Sensor Lock, in which case it becomes Logic.
Please think twice before you start applying different attributes depending on if you are using remote control via AR, remote control via VR or remote control via VR while jumped in (unless you guys decide to change it for missions you currently use the same attribute in all three cases).

Core is clear that you always use Logic when firing vehicle-mounted weapons via remote operation (SR5 p. 183 Gunnery).

Core is also clear that you always use Logic when firing via passive sensor targeting (SR5 p. 184 Passive Targeting). In this case you also replace accuracy with sensor.

However, when it comes to drone-mounted weapons the book is less clear. It is only mentioned at one location (SR5 p. 283 Control Device) and on this spot it actually does use Agility (as you suggest in your post).

Perhaps the intention with the rule I quoted was that it would only apply for drone-mounted weapons (and that vehicle-mounted weapons would continue to always use Logic)?

let's say a Rigger has a drone with a ...
I think he is trying to say that IF a rigger jump into a drone THEN it can assist a human or a drone in a teamwork test. But only if it make sense to the GM that the rigger controlled drone actually can assist with the test in the first place.

If a rigger is not jumped into a drone then a drone may only assist another drone that is slaved to the same RCC. But only if it make sense to the GM that it can assist with the test in the first place.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: <06-26-18/1519:07> »
let's say a Rigger has a drone with a ...
I think he is trying to say that IF a rigger jump into a drone THEN it can assist a human or a drone in a teamwork test. But only if it make sense to the GM that the rigger controlled drone actually can assist with the test in the first place.

If a rigger is not jumped into a drone then a drone may only assist another drone that is slaved to the same RCC. But only if it make sense to the GM that it can assist with the test in the first place.

And that's something I have a problem with.  At least in certain circumstances.  As Jayde Moon recommended/suggested/requested, I took it to another thread.

Edit:  Since I'm trying to keep from generally opining on the decision out of that thread, I'll pop something to that effect in this one.  If drones may only assist each other if they're on the same RCC, how do older model MCT Kenchiku-Kikai drones cooperate on industrial projects given they can't be on a RCC or any other wireless comm net? 
« Last Edit: <06-26-18/1530:57> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #54 on: <06-26-18/1650:04> »
which attribute does a Rigger use to shoot if jumped in?  Agility in ALL cases UNLESS there is a Sensor Lock, in which case it becomes Logic.
Please think twice before you start applying different attributes depending on if you are using remote control via AR, remote control via VR or remote control via VR while jumped in (unless you guys decide to change it for missions you currently use the same attribute in all three cases).

Sorry, it was unclear.  Firing from the drone you are jumped into...?  Does that make more sense?

I didn't think to specify that.

gungadi

• Newb
« Reply #55 on: <09-12-18/0034:02> »
Can adepts choose a tradition or is that an optional rule and by extension not allowed per the FAQ?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #56 on: <09-12-18/0220:14> »
Can adepts choose a tradition or is that an optional rule and by extension not allowed per the FAQ?

Being a particular tradition doesn't change an adept very much. Their Drain stat isn't based on tradition, for example.

Most of the traditions in Street Grimoire list "favored" adept powers (which are just common powers that adepts of that tradition take.

For most adepts, being a particular tradition would just be characterization similar to being a particular religion. Were you asking because of something that might have a rules mechanics affect?
« Last Edit: <09-12-18/0222:15> by Kiirnodel »

gungadi

• Newb
« Reply #57 on: <09-12-18/1832:38> »
It was going to be if it changed their drain pool like it does for mysad's but you answered the question in your answer - so I'm good and thank you.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #58 on: <09-13-18/0541:28> »
It was going to be if it changed their drain pool like it does for mysad's but you answered the question in your answer - so I'm good and thank you.

Might be important to point out that Mystic Adepts still resist drain from Adept Powers using the Adept Drain mechanic (Body+Willpower). The Drain Attributes from Tradition only apply to drain taken from Magician-type sources.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #59 on: <09-13-18/1115:24> »
This thread is for questions.  There are multiple forums for discussion.

(That was directed at Rigger Agility, not chiming in to answer the Adept Traditons question)
« Last Edit: <09-13-18/1124:42> by Jayde Moon »