NEWS

Desert Wars

• 53 Replies

Turtletron

• Chummer
« on: <09-06-10/1806:28> »
I heard quite a few times about the "Desert Wars" but when I search for info about it, do not seem to find anything. Can someone tell me what it is or tell me where I can find the info?

Thanks a lot
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

Tarot

• Newb
  • Never get involved in a land war in Asia
« Reply #1 on: <09-06-10/1824:49> »
Desert Wars is a corp sponsored wargame designed to field test and promote new equipment and tactics. It's also used as a proving ground for the corps personal army and as an additional revenue stream (from adds and pay per view). I'm not entirely sure but I think it takes place on a yearly basis in north Africa. Don't know of any books that specifically detail them but they are mentioned in alot of the fiction (I think Argent was a desert wars vet). Hope this helps  ;D
Why do they always shoot the mage 1st?

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #2 on: <09-06-10/1834:36> »
I think it was mentioned the desert wars are played in almost all the deserts around the world with the finals held in Africa.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <09-06-10/1908:41> »
And do you think those games were lethal for the players in the same way Urban Brawl is?
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <09-06-10/1917:05> »
Way more lethal since it actual warfare, if I remember correctly.

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <09-06-10/1923:25> »
That may be one of the few rare occasions to see AAA corporations fighting  with each other in such a visible way.(for the non-shadowrunner/non-corporate people)
« Last Edit: <09-06-10/1939:50> by Turtletron »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <09-06-10/2043:58> »
Well, it's not rare since it broadcast on Trideo every season. And is one of the highest ratings shows on the air!

Bisharian

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-06-10/2259:26> »
Tis almost sad if you think about it. Corps blowing each other up for our entertainment, but when they contract a runner and it gets posted all over the news, we don't get any royalties for entertainment. Maybe I should start recording some sim when I take a run, and sell them as training vids...

That could actually be a really cool mission pack. Record Corp runs to use as training vids...hmmm, I can smell the nuyen. Or maybe that is the smoking hole in my head if the corps tag me as the runner...
« Last Edit: <09-06-10/2304:06> by Bisharian »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <09-06-10/2311:53> »
Well, either way, you'd make nuyen off the deal. Just that if you get that hole in the head, your family gets the money and you wind up "Mistake Jake!" in the Army training sim.

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-07-10/0240:21> »
The product that came out in was Target: Wastelands.

I would have liked to been given a bigger word count for the Desert Wars but alas it was not to be.

Might have to give Jason a nudge to see if we can get a PDF of Target: Wastelands onto RPGnow.  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <09-07-10/0305:00> »
The prophecy wants to add, in the SOX Sourcebook there is a hint to something they call "Rad Wars" (basically Desert Wars, but located in the heavily contaminated areas we know as SOX, hence, Rad Wars).
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #11 on: <09-07-10/0535:11> »
Way more lethal since it actual warfare, if I remember correctly.

It is indeed real war rather than have massive scale wars over things they fight these smaller wars to settle diferences.
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #12 on: <09-07-10/0537:18> »
Tis almost sad if you think about it. Corps blowing each other up for our entertainment, but when they contract a runner and it gets posted all over the news, we don't get any royalties for entertainment. Maybe I should start recording some sim when I take a run, and sell them as training vids...

That could actually be a really cool mission pack. Record Corp runs to use as training vids...hmmm, I can smell the nuyen. Or maybe that is the smoking hole in my head if the corps tag me as the runner...

I have let my group sell doctored footage of their runs (they remove anything that says hey this is us lol)
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #13 on: <09-07-10/0538:49> »
The prophecy wants to add, in the SOX Sourcebook there is a hint to something they call "Rad Wars" (basically Desert Wars, but located in the heavily contaminated areas we know as SOX, hence, Rad Wars).

Thats one of them german only books isn't it??
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #14 on: <09-07-10/0803:35> »
Thats one of them german only books isn't it??

The prophecy had to recheck, but sadly, yes. Seems like this was only published in german. Shame, its a really great (and pretty fragging deadly) campaign settign.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100