NEWS

Underbarrel Weapons and Powered Slide Mounts

• 37 Replies

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <11-14-11/1809:14> »
SR4A p319: Under the Sniper Rifles section:
At the end of every Turn in which the rifle is used in a running firefight (as opposed to a sniping situation), roll an Edge Test. For every Edge Test failed, the weapon incurs a –1 dice pool modifier until it is recalibrated with an Armorer + Logic (8, 1 Minute) Extended Test. The modifier is doubled if the weapon is used in combat as a melee weapon or to defend from a melee attack.

The Walther MA-2100 is the only sniper rifle which mentions it doesn't suffer from this kind of degradation.
And this makes me think there should be something special about sniper rifles to compensate. Example: sniper rifles, due to their precision, have a +1 or +2 dice pool modifier.

Crash_00

« Reply #16 on: <11-14-11/1843:34> »
My house rule to make them worth it (over Assault Cannon Sniping) is that they double the amount of Take Aim actions you can take. Normally its 1/2 your skill. I played with adding a Precision modifier to them and with just doubling the Take Aim bonus, but none of it felt right. A veteran sniper (skill 4) can effectively cancel out the max Called Shot for damage and negate range over nine seconds of aiming which seems about fair.

Its not useful in an actual combat situation (initiative rounds), but it helps if you've set up in a nest and drawn a bead on the target.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #17 on: <11-15-11/0356:11> »
Not a bad rule, though if I can make a suggestion: Instead of allowing twice the take aims, why not make aims have twice the effect: +2 per take aim instead of +1? (Demonstrating that the accuracy of the rifle and its sights are simply better, not the skill of the guy behind it.)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #18 on: <11-15-11/1430:53> »
Which is why a sniper should always have a backup for when you are in combat situations, or use Melee Hardening to compensate for it. Or, like my technomancer, have a Steel Lynx with a LMG that you can hide behind.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #19 on: <11-15-11/1503:34> »
under, hide under
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #20 on: <11-15-11/1531:43> »
under, hide under

Well, if you're gonna do that why not just take a Roadmaster, set it up with some auto-turrets, and work from inside that?
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #21 on: <11-15-11/1548:54> »
lynx is easier to fit in thru the door. not by much, but,,,,,
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <11-15-11/1623:59> »
lynx is easier to fit in thru the door. not by much, but,,,,,

Mod a ramming plate onto the Roadmaster and go through the wall. You'll love the look on their faces, I promise.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Crash_00

« Reply #23 on: <11-15-11/1647:03> »
Not a bad rule, though if I can make a suggestion: Instead of allowing twice the take aims, why not make aims have twice the effect: +2 per take aim instead of +1? (Demonstrating that the accuracy of the rifle and its sights are simply better, not the skill of the guy behind it.)

Just preference on the feel really. Most sniper rifles are designed for patient and precise shots, so taking an extra 2.25 - 9 seconds aiming doesn't seem that outlandish to me and really shouldn't be an issue in sniping situations. I like the feel that while the weapon is precise, your skill will determine just how precise you can make it. At a six you are effectively taking aim and firing the shot between heart beats to minimize barrel movement. The real deciding factor though was that I think anyone getting behind a scoped precision rifle should be able to take aim with the rifle and gain an improvement. If you just double the bonus, someone with a 1 in the skill still can't take aim for a bonus.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #24 on: <11-15-11/1818:49> »
Which is why a sniper should always have a backup for when you are in combat situations, or use Melee Hardening to compensate for it. Or, like my technomancer, have a Steel Lynx with a LMG that you can hide behind.
Very nice if your GM allows it. (Kirk, if you're reading, lemme know if this is an option :p )
But pure RAW, melee hardening doesn't do that. It will make sure the gun doesn't take damage from parrying a blow or something, but the edge tests would still be required. Even the double modifier would still apply.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #25 on: <01-31-12/1544:53> »
Panther Assault Cannon with Underbelly Panther Assault Cannon.

Double-Barreled Shotgun for troll hillbillies!  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <01-31-12/1614:57> »
Panther Assault Cannon with Underbelly Panther Assault Cannon.

Double-Barreled Shotgun for troll hillbillies!  ;D

Stylish, but less practical than Modding for Semi-Auto and slapping on Second Clip.

Wait... I think you have the slots to do both!
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #27 on: <04-28-12/1354:39> »
All sorts of under barrel weapons you could add from bayonets to launchers, shotguns... But a SNIPER RIFLE????

As a GM I would laugh my ass silly at that request! A sniper rifle is a highly balanced precision crafted weapon! It is not merely a 'hunting rifle with a scope' (although the remi 700 is a hunting rifle with sniper craftsmanship),

If you want precision shots, take a precision weapon... NOT an under barrel attachment to a BR/AR.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Crash_00

« Reply #28 on: <04-28-12/2132:23> »
When you get right down to it, the only element of a Sniper Rifle that SR Sniper Rifles really keep is (assuming of course) the better barrels. Most of what makes the rifle a sniper rifle is in the sights attached, and the caliber being used. Most SR Sniper Rifles do not come with scopes of any kind. Many "sniper rifles" are switched from a sniper role to a designated marksman role simply by changing the optics on them (glances at the Dragunov). Yes, some of them are effectively a hunting rifle with a scope. That's where the entire class of weapons came from, even using common hunting rifle rounds. Where a lot of people come into confusion is at the difference between a sniper rifle and a sniper system. Sniper system are merely the rifle with all the added accessories. The M-24 sniper system is a fine example of this. The system includes the rifle and all the accessories that were fielded with it. Of course, now the military is completely refitting the weapon to the point where it isn't even really the same.

You can say they are a precision weapon, but the rules simply do not reflect any advantage for an advanced degree of precision. More to the point, how well balanced and precise any given "sniper rifle" is, varies greatly from rifle to rifle. When you get right down to it, the general standard for precision is usually higher in competition grade rifles than sniper rifles, but again it all comes down to the sights being used.

Attached to an underbarrel mount, they'd still take the edge test as a penalty in any situation not involving being staked up, so not using them correctly does impose a certain impact still.

Morg

« Reply #29 on: <05-04-12/2352:52> »
Maybe Sniper Rifles reduce the penalties of Called Shots (round up) SR4A pg 161. it is a precision weapon system after all.

Thoughts on this as a house rule?
« Last Edit: <05-05-12/0005:04> by Morg »