NEWS

Tir Tairngire

• 43 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #15 on: <10-16-14/0035:08> »
Critias what's the relationship of the Tir to the Irish republic (tir nan og?)?
thanks
Ever heard "Me against my brother, my brother and I against my uncle, my family against the world?"  That's basically how I categorize it.  They grouch at each other a lot.  The Irish bitch about the Oregonians liking too much tech, the Oregonians bitch about the Irish being backwards mystical tree-huggers who rely too much on weird magic that doesn't work anywhere else.  The royalty of both sides have -- or rather had -- interesting relationships and expectations, that naturally colored the vibe between the two nations.  Similarly, the two nations were natural rivals, not only for potential recruits, but for being the most magical and special elven kingdom evar, and that sweet tourist money or whatnot, right? 

In reality, for all that the two kvetch at one another, they've got too much in common to really be too different.  Elven majority, metahumans okay, humans suck?  Check.  Interesting blend of magic and technology?  Check.  Magical shit no one else has (The Veil, Crater Lake)?  Check.  Both are the token elven country for the two main settings of the game (North America v. Europe)?  Check.  Unique social strata that bring extra 'fantasy' to the fantasy-cyberpunk game?  Check.  Both have hotter Matrices with colder ICe than makes any fucking sense?  Checkity-check.  Both are, at heart, special snowflake countries with in-universe budgets and importance, out-of-universe page counts and art budgets and rumors, way above their actual weight class given their size (fucking seriously, it's OREGON and IRELAND, for pete's sake)?  Check. 

End of the day, I've always liked them being...wary allies.  They know that sooner or later the world's got to figure out they're so much flash and bullshit.  They know they can play a longer game than the round-ears if they just keep their shit together and their peasants in line.  They know they need to work together, maximize what they can maximize, in the meantime.  They have foreign exchange stuff going on so they can look all nicey-nicey, they probably do some military training together, they both play spy games against each other if they're not busy sharing secrets about the other countries they're spying on -- they're in bed together, but only to hate-fuck -- they share some magical secrets and spell formula and junk...but at the end of the day, the elves calling the shots know they can't trust each other, even while they know they'll have each others' backs before some dirty trog or tusker, anyways.

Most importantly, this all adds up to in-game background potential.  What a character from one Tir or the other, even in the opposite game?  Knock yourself out.  Say they've got relaxed immigration laws, use that elven racism to make sure your character got favorable immigration status, ham it up with an accent if you want, mix and match zany magical traditions with a bit of chrome, whatever.  Have a good time.  Play with Tir fashion (I'm a big kilt advocate, myself), make up Tir bands and tv shows, just have fun with it.  If the GM wants them to meaningfully pool resources, they can.  If the GM wants them to have Ghost and TRC kill-squads hunting one another behind elf-perfect fake smiles, they can do that, too.

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <10-16-14/0153:34> »
Do we still discuss Wyrm Wood / Blood Wood, The Rose Throne and our Queen / Queens?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #17 on: <10-16-14/0206:35> »
I have routinely, and without any of my players discovering, used Tir agents from both countries in my games.  Any of the immigrants to Puyallup during the diaspora from Tir Tairngire are potentially spies or agents for their respective governments.  Or do they?

And now that my players have seen this post, they're going to be even more paranoid.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

8-bit

« Reply #18 on: <10-16-14/0209:46> »
I have routinely, and without any of my players discovering, used Tir agents from both countries in my games.  Any of the immigrants to Puyallup during the diaspora from Tir Tairngire are potentially spies or agents for their respective governments.  Or do they?

And now that my players have seen this post, they're going to be even more paranoid.

You got to keep them on their toes. Can't let them get too soft and comfortable, am I right?

I'm still getting through reading this material, schoolwork has kept me pretty busy. So, I might necro this thread from time to time, if you don't mind answering questions.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <10-16-14/0214:12> »

There are a couple of NPCs I introduced in Spy Games, but who appear in Artifacts Unbound (with stats) as being prime candidates as the overall ringleaders of such espionage operations — one for each Tir.

First, there is Alec Tintagel, a former Ghost captain who followed Lugh Surehand into exile. He's loyal to the idea of the Tir (and Surehand, obviously), and works within the Seattle diaspora, but like Surehand travels far and wide at any given time. He carries a broadsword with him that he will never unsheath.

His Irish equivalent is Felicia McGuinness, a member of the Reach Fuileach who sometimes operates with (or perhaps hires, no one who knows will say) a bunch of former UCAS JSOC operators. She operates out of Seattle and DeeCee. The sword Tintagel carries belonged to her twin brother.

Finally, Moire Ferguson is basically the 2070s version of the role Blackwing played in the 2050s (Since Blackwing is now on the Council of Princes). She ostensibly works for Telestrian, but with the relationship between TIC and the TT government the way it is ... She's both. She used to be a runner/TIC company woman based out of Seattle, but currently operates out of Cara'Sir (Portland). She was originally introduced in Corporate Punishment, and I gave her a power up to account for time and that the adventure she and McGuinness appeared in was written for Prime Runner-level characters.
« Last Edit: <10-16-14/0224:36> by Crimsondude »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <10-16-14/0219:18> »
Excellent info, Crimsondude!  I'll look them up and I might implement them more heavily in my games.  Or maybe not.  Gotta keep my players on their toes, they're sneaky little elveses.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <10-16-14/0226:06> »
Do we still discuss Wyrm Wood / Blood Wood, The Rose Throne and our Queen / Queens?
You can, but it doesn't really matter.

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <10-16-14/1352:06> »
To bad. I've always enjoyed the links between the 4th and 6th world. To watch a machination start in wyrm wood and be fulfilled in London is just beautiful. With FASA relaunching Earthdawn it would be nice if Catalyst could offer a few nods back to Barsaive

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #23 on: <10-16-14/1456:26> »
Oh, and don't forget Stormfront, for the most recent Tir Tairngire update.  It shares the election results and updates the Council, post-Land of Promise.

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #24 on: <10-16-14/1522:46> »
Oh, and don't forget Stormfront, for the most recent Tir Tairngire update.  It shares the election results and updates the Council, post-Land of Promise.

For that matter, isn't there some material in Dirty Tricks as well? (Which sets up the material in Stormfront, IIRC.)
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <10-17-14/0021:25> »
Nope

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <10-17-14/0137:11> »
With FASA relaunching Earthdawn it would be nice if Catalyst could offer a few nods back to Barsaive

I'm sure that would be an option that some people would like to include, but with the legal nonsense the way it is, this is highly unlikely.  Still, stranger things have happened.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #27 on: <10-17-14/0219:26> »
NuFASA appears to have no intention of keeping up the link; I understand (from prior conversations on this board) that they intend to develop their own 2nd, 6th, and 8th World games.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <10-17-14/0239:53> »
NuFASA appears to have no intention of keeping up the link; I understand (from prior conversations on this board) that they intend to develop their own 2nd, 6th, and 8th World games.

Ewwww...  that would be awkward.  I mean on the plus side, they could make futuristic games that are more based on modern-day takes on cyberpunk and sci-fi.  But ... yeah that's gonna be super messy.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #29 on: <10-17-14/0247:59> »
You presume a 6th World game would automatically be cyberpunk.  The sense I got was that it's going to be some time - like, a thousand years - down the road, when magic is high but a little before the Horrors can breach on their own.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.