NEWS

(SR4) Suggestions for long range naval weapon?

• 7 Replies

iKill

• Newb
« on: <11-19-16/1828:49> »
I am working on a rigger character, who is the captain of a Spitzenreiter (Arsenal p. 111), and I while I do not intend it to become a warship, I do want to equip some kind of weapon on a heavy mount. This weapon should be powerful enough to knock out a patrol boat, long ranged enough to hit enemies without getting within range of enemy fire, and capable of hitting land, sea and air-based targets. Furthermore, I would like my character to carry a laser designator when running on land, and be able to use it to call in fire support from his ship several kilometers inland. I don't mind if the ammo is expensive and/or hard to come by, as I do not intend to spam it.

I am thinking that a mortar with seeker bombs might be the easiest solution, but even with an airburst link I doubt that it would handle airborne threats very well.

Any thoughts?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <11-20-16/1519:27> »
Look in the WAR! book, there are a couple of options in there.... away from my books ATM so I will check later if no one has given you an option before that...

Keep in mind, most patrol boats aren't heavy armored and usually only mount a 20mm auto canon, so similiar armament my be all you need...
(Vigorous autocannon)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

DeathofVirtue

• Chummer
  • Astral Ghost
« Reply #2 on: <12-05-16/0027:42> »
  I do not intend it to become a warship, I do want to equip some kind of weapon on a heavy mount. This weapon should be powerful enough to knock out a patrol boat, long ranged enough to hit enemies without getting within range of enemy fire, and capable of hitting land, sea and air-based targets. Furthermore, I would like my character to carry a laser designator when running on land, and be able to use it to call in fire support from his ship several kilometers inland

Any thoughts?

The problem is this is the sort of multi role naval weaponry that is typically mounted on you guessed it warships.  The Railgun that's in development for use by the US navy now has these capabilities so that's probably a good starting point.  If you want something less high tech perhaps multi-purpose missiles?  Payload can be changed depending on the intended role usually involving changing the head of the missile.  They have decent effectiveness at dealing with land, sea, and air targets however defence systems do exist to protect against them and the cost per missile for a non corp/military party is likely to be high.

I'm assuming you would like some degree of concealment for what will almost definatley be a highly illegal weapon system?  If thats the case thats another point for the mp missiles.

I'm loaning most of my books to a new player coming to my table at the moment so I cant give you a specific weapons system from raw sadly.

Mounting weaponry typically used by warships on a vessle not designed to use it can have serious issues, especially something capable of firing multiple clicks inland and any weaponry that can do so is also likley to land the owner in very hot water with the authorities if discovered/visible.
« Last Edit: <12-05-16/0030:21> by DeathofVirtue »
Because if I pass you I wont even leave a breeze.
If you search for me you won't find a trace.
What then do those seeking me say they found?
Nothing.
Zero is nothing.
I am Zero.
What better name for myself?
 -Zero on being asked where he got his name...

DeathofVirtue

• Chummer
  • Astral Ghost
« Reply #3 on: <12-05-16/0236:08> »
To clarify I think you want too much out of one single weapon on a heavy mount.  First strike, anti air, ground and naval roles, multiple Km range and precision laser designation, it sounds like you want it to fill every role the vessle could ever concievably need which you are not likely to achieve with a singular weapon mounted in a heavy slot.

Lets try coming at it from a different direction, how will you mainly be using this vessel?..  Smuggling?  Piracy?  Basic transport?
  In what role?..  Fire support?  Skirmishing?  Stealth?
  What is your main type of opposition likely to be?..  Patrol Boats?  Destroyers?
  What's your budget?..  10k  NY?  2 Mill NY?

There's no point looking up a multiple Hundred Thousand NY weapon system if for example Reavers suggestion of a vigorus assult cannon will be more than sufficient in 99% of the engagements you are likely to get in.  Knowing the difference between what you are likely to need and whats just on your "wish list" is really important.
Nothing.
Zero is nothing.
I am Zero.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <12-08-16/1000:40> »
Because I am a nerd.....

The Yamato was out fitted with 3 turrets of 46cm guns, which had an effective range of 26km.

Each turret fired a 363kg projectile at a speed of 2683ft/sec....

And each turret weighted 147.3 TONNES!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

DeathofVirtue

• Chummer
  • Astral Ghost
« Reply #5 on: <12-08-16/1458:26> »
Because I am a nerd.....

The Yamato was out fitted with 3 turrets of 46cm guns, which had an effective range of 26km.

Each turret fired a 363kg projectile at a speed of 2683ft/sec....

And each turret weighted 147.3 TONNES!

Yup, you can see why the navy are trying to switch to the more high tech propulsion method weapons that don't have the same weight and explosive charge requirements.  Just carrying enough cordite (Or equivalent) to keep those guns firing during a protracted battle is a large weight burden and substantial explosive risk.  If memory serves the charge for those projectiles actually had to be stored seperatley in the magazine for obvious reasons.

In short, slow loading, heavy, explosive risk.  It's the trifecta!  xD
Nothing.
Zero is nothing.
I am Zero.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #6 on: <01-13-17/2157:12> »
The closest weapon I am aware of in SR to what you're asking for is going to be a missile. Simply have one launcher, with magazine access to different types of missiles for the different missions you are looking for. Any kind of gun will not do at least one of the things you want a single weapon to do.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-14-17/2234:49> »
The most important point is that your intended vessel is a fishing trawler. Which won't stand up to the forces of any weapon capable of the feats you're intending.