NEWS

Runner's Lair Bonuses?

• 2 Replies

talkingorange

• Newb
« on: <03-22-21/1619:45> »
Hello! Just started running a Shadowrun game over the last couple weeks (via Discord text chat, it's a fun way to do it!), and my runners are all currently hiding out in an underground abandoned subway station. Story-wise, they're all hiding out, but mechanically it's their mutual shared home. Some of them started talking about ways to upgrade their base, mostly in terms of the SR6 rulebook's way of listing bonuses for Kits and Facilities, but I got to thinking: what if upgrades to a home base could provide temporary bonuses? Maybe I play too many videogames where base building is a mechanic, but I like the idea of making some homebrew, temporary qualities that can be engaged every time their crew rests at their home base. My first thought is that any of these qualities expire after 12 or 24 hours out adventuring, or they also expire if the crew is forced to rest somewhere outside of their home base. But I'm sort of at a loss as to what a good, balanced bonus would be.

Say they used some nuyen to build a small workout/gym area. Maybe 1 additional die to soak tests for the next 12 hours? That seems like an awful lot because it is, in practice, the same as getting another point of Body. But, it's temporary so maybe it's not that bad? That's an example of the problem I'm having conceptually. An additional die to any roll seems like too much, but it's also the minimum amount of bonus die you can give. BUT, it also seems like the most direct way for their base building to effect their running.

I just like the idea of adding some minor bonuses to an aspect of gameplay my players already seem interested in and giving them some incentive and reward for doing it.

I don't suppose anyone has some ideas for temporary, minor bonuses could be (whether they're associated with an aspect of base-building or not)?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <03-24-21/0512:00> »
Most bonuses are usually designed around downtime: Easier/cheaper fixing stuff, bonus on training tests, etc, rather than bonuses that you bring with you into the game. Runner's Companion (SR4) and Run Faster (SR5) had custom lifestyle things for that.

For example, in SR5 a Gym costs 300/month to maintain if you don't already have a Middle lifestyle, and it reduces physical attribute training times with 20%. A Shooting Range was 500/month or High lifestyle, and reduced firearm training with 10%. A Workshop or Garage combined with a Workshop/Facility set lets you repair some points of damage for free over time.

As for temporary bonuses, if you go that route, I'd go with the Edge game myself: 'Can claim temporary Edge on a Body+X test for the next 24h, up to 3 points total', stuff like that.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

talkingorange

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-24-21/1505:02> »
Most bonuses are usually designed around downtime: Easier/cheaper fixing stuff, bonus on training tests, etc, rather than bonuses that you bring with you into the game. Runner's Companion (SR4) and Run Faster (SR5) had custom lifestyle things for that.

For example, in SR5 a Gym costs 300/month to maintain if you don't already have a Middle lifestyle, and it reduces physical attribute training times with 20%. A Shooting Range was 500/month or High lifestyle, and reduced firearm training with 10%. A Workshop or Garage combined with a Workshop/Facility set lets you repair some points of damage for free over time.

As for temporary bonuses, if you go that route, I'd go with the Edge game myself: 'Can claim temporary Edge on a Body+X test for the next 24h, up to 3 points total', stuff like that.

It's been too long since I read the SR5 rulebook and never really got a chance to play more than one session, so I appreciate that info! Those are some great ideas! But, also, that temporary edge for a particular kind of test I think is a terrific idea! Edge really does seem to be the primary way in SR6 to change things up and put some circumstantial control into the hands of players and GM's--so yeah, I think that fits really well. Thanks tons for the suggestion!