NEWS

What happened to Dunkelzahn?

• 188 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #165 on: <08-16-11/1816:27> »
Or the guy bought it and Dunkie just didn't get around to removing it.

Alternatively, he could have just used it as a message about "Never screw with a dragon" without ever actually doing anything to anyone.  Seems his style, actually.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #166 on: <08-27-11/1407:46> »
The presidency's fun to think about, but the stuff that will REALLY blow your mind is when you consider how he set up Crash 2.0 and the Wireless Matrix.

Don't think so? Consider this line of thought:

The Big "D" bequeaths all those Renraku shares to Miles Lanier. Miles & Richard Villiers then use that to set up a "falling out", so that Miles is considered trustworthy by Renraku. In the process of this long con, Miles and Richard are able to gut both Renraku and Fuchi, setting up Novatech to be the newest AAA corp on the market. But the process of creating the corp leaves Villiers strapped financially, so he has to go "public" with shares in Novatech, creating the biggest online transaction/presence/event EVER. This becomes a target of AIs, Terrorists and everyone else. After the Crash, technomancers are born and AI's become more prevalent.

Ipso Facto, Dunkelzahn created Technomancy.
I like to believe that even though he did set these events in motion, he didn't see Technomancy coming. And if he he ever met a Technomancer who then explained where his abilities come from, said Technomancer would probably see the incredibly rare sight of a Great Dragon's jaw dropping in surprise.
« Last Edit: <08-27-11/1409:23> by Red Canti »
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #167 on: <08-27-11/1508:51> »
Really?  Technomancers know where their abilities come from?

I thought it was a bunch of gobbledygook that translates into "Fragged if we know.", just like Hermetic Mages.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #168 on: <08-27-11/1549:13> »

I thought it was a bunch of gobbledygook that translates into "Fragged if we know.", just like Hermetic Mages.  :P

This

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #169 on: <08-27-11/1923:45> »

This
"But here's all the math proving that we don't know, and, thus, it's worth getting a grant for MIT&T, and giving me Tenure to find out further!"

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #170 on: <08-27-11/1929:49> »

This
"But here's all the math proving that we don't know, and, thus, it's worth getting a grant for MIT&T, and giving me Tenure to find out further!"
Oh, nice try boyo. The grant, sure, apply for it. Get the grant, and publish a few times, and meet the other requirements, and we'll discuss tenure.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #171 on: <08-27-11/2106:41> »

Well, figuring it out is only slightly more likely than meeting Dunkelzahn.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #172 on: <08-29-11/0727:05> »
Well, he liked people. Both meeting and meating them, i guess . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #173 on: <09-07-11/1611:06> »
Well, he liked people. Both meeting and meating them, i guess . .
I was thinking less meeting him and more getting close enough to meet him.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #174 on: <09-07-11/1612:21> »
Depending on his mood, the length of the meeting before the meating varies greatly.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

LouP

• Newb
« Reply #175 on: <10-27-11/1011:17> »
The Horrors is an idiotic Cthulhu nonsense that has no place in SR. Cthulhu is fine in certain circumstances. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't one.

Whether you like it or not, the cycle of magic and the dangers it brings have been part of Shadowrun since the game's inception. If you look back at the early days of Shadowrun, hints about an ancient magical past and dangerous bad magic and creatures started cropping up long before Earthdawn was published (Bottled Demon, Universal Brotherhood, and an early SR short story written by Jordan Weisman). This very dark and dangerous aspect of the Shadowrun universe is an integral part of the game, and always have been.

For you to suggest that a fundamental part of the SR universe doesn't belong tells me that you really don't really understand the game and what it's about.

And for the record, the Horrors are not "Cthulhu nonsense." The Horrors from Earthdawn and the monsters of the Cthulhu mythos are very different on many levels. Once again, this statement demonstrates that you really don't know what you're talking about.

That being said, personally, I don't think any of the Named Horrors from Earthdawn (with the possible exception of Verjigorm) really belong in Shadowrun, but the danger that the Horrors in general represent (even if they are appearing *very* early in the cycle) definitely belong in Shadowrun. Perhaps they shouldn't play a big part in the current meta-plot, but they shouldn't simply be dismissed either.

Take Care,

Lou Prosperi
Who worked with the people who created Shadowrun

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #176 on: <10-27-11/1238:16> »
I really do not know all that much about the Earthdawn Horrors but they do add a certain energy to Shadowrun.  A kind of urgency if you will.  A looming danger in the background that makes it different from other dystopian settings.   

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #177 on: <10-27-11/1328:44> »
Well, dangerous to the Dragons and Immortal Elves.

Everyone else will be long dead by the time they show up, even regular elves.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #178 on: <10-27-11/2337:50> »
Plus there's the possibility - however remote - that something will go Horribly Wrong, and one or two (or more) Horrors will make it into the world.  Who's ready to deal with that?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #179 on: <10-27-11/2339:39> »
Well, Harley's got a guild of MMORPGers that he's leading...  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11