NEWS

What else might I need to train an apprentice mage?

• 4 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <11-27-17/1938:16> »
I'm trying to put together a character (not intended for play so it doesn't need to be optimized) who can take a 4 or 5 year old kid and train them to be a fully functioning mage in society. That is not just magical knowledge but able to get by perfectly well in all the other areas you need for day to day life (reading, writing, maths, basic computer skills, etc). Think taking a gutter rat from the slums and teaching them so when they finish the apprenticeship they can apply for a corporate mage job and function perfectly well if they get it. I used life modules to get this any suggestions on things I missed or that people think I should change appreciated just remember the goal here is to create a teacher not a player character . . .

Life Modules
Nationality: General UCAS
Formative: White Collar
Teen Years: Magical Education
Further Education: Ivy League (Magic)
Real Life Modules: Corporate (Wage Mage), Street Magic (Street Mage)

Metatype
Human

Awakened
Magician

Attributes
Body: 3
Agility: 3
Reaction: 3
Strength: 3
Willpower: 5
Logic: 6
Intuition: 3
Charisma: 5
Edge: 2
Magic: 4

Qualities
Positive: College Education, Focused Concentration 1, Mentor Spirit, Photographic Memory, Trust Fund (5 points variant middle lifestyle with 500 leftover).
Negative: Limited Corporate (Sony), Astral Beacon

Active Skills
Arcana (4), Assensing (5), Astral Combat (2), Blades (1), Computer (2), Conjuring Group (6), Enchanting Group (1), Etiquette (3, profesional spec), Instruction (2), Negotiation (1), Palming (1), Perception (2), Sneaking (1), Sorcery Group (6), Survival (1)
Knowledge Skills
Academic: Biology (2), Chemistry (3), History (2), Literature (4), Magical Theory (5), Magical Threats (4), Mathmatics (4), Matrix Design (3), Metaplanes (5), Philosophy (3), Physics (4)
Street: Charity Shelters (5), Seattle (6 two skills one at 2 and one 4 combined here), UCAS (2)
Professional: Home Economics (3), Magical Law (2), Sony (3)
Interests: Art (3)
Language Skills
English (N), German (1), Iroquois (3), Japanese (4), Spanish (2)

4.5 skill points left to spend on knowledge/language skills.

Tradition
Hermetic
Mentor Spirit
Wise Warrior: +2 to combat Spells, +2 to instruction, Act Honorably
Spells: Alter Temperature, Analyze Device, Animate, Catalog, Heal, Stabilize, Translate, Trid Entertainment
Rituals: Alarm Ward, Ward, Watcher

Clothing
Actioneer Business Clothes, Lined Coat (Chemical Protection 2), Respirator (4), Casual Clothes (jeans, tshirt, sleepwear, swimwear, etc)
Nixdorf Sekretar
Modifications: Cybermodule (hardwired program carrier encryption), Receiver, Sim Module
Programs: AR Games, Datasoft (Encyclopedia Britanica), Liebesekretar, Mapsoft (Seattle, P2.1, Theme Music, Ticker (News Montitor).
Stats: Data Processing (6), Firewall (4/5), Device Rating (4)
Miscellaneous Gear
AR Gloves, Backpack, Camera (rating 1 vision magnification electronic), Certified Credsticks (gold and Standard), Contacts (Rating 3 flare compensation, image link, low light vision), ear buds (rating 3 select sound filter 2), flash light, magical lodge materials (6), Medikit (3), Printer, 50x Reagents (Standard), Survival Kit, Trid Projector, Trodes
Vehicle
Renault-Fiat FunOne
Lifestyle
Medium Trust Fund: Comforts (3), Security (3), Neighbourhood (4), Extra Secure, Garage (Small Car), Global Grid Subscription, Public Transportation, Soy Processing Unit
Licences
Magic Licence
Assorted nonstated licences (drivers, etc)

Contacts
None purchased yet (15 karma to spend)

Total Karma Spent
744/750

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <11-27-17/2145:40> »
It looks ok for an NPC to flesh out your world.

Remember though that magical talent usually doesn't manifest itself until puberty... (which changes radically per metahuman!).. the only people he is training at 4 or 5 years of age are Orks... and even that is debatable...

(As per Lore, Orks hit adulthood physically at age 13... mentally they are still arguably a child..well.... teenager) 

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-27-17/2229:57> »
It's a combination good PR/potential gain situation which is why they need to basically be able to home school a kid in all the major school subjects by themselves. They teach the slum kids they can get ahold of from an early age in reading, writing, arithmetic and various other school subjects along with the benefits of corporate employment. Then as the kids hit puberty they can observe them for possible magical potential awakening. Those that do have it get extra magic lessons and an introduction to a friendly corporate recruiter outlining all the benefits of Sony employment. Those that don't also get an introduction but at a much lower level in the corporate structure. The project might not work but the manager in charge made a good case for...

1) Good PR we are schooling our lowest class of citizen and giving them a brighter future.
2) Gains them some potentially loyal workforce for the more basic jobs.
3) If they do find a mage they'd otherwise miss it's effectively paid for itself and if they find a couple even better.
4) On top of which it's effectively a zero cost proposition as the mage is living off the interest of their fund and when they pass away they can reclaim the principal meaning no ongoing or even initial expense as the payment for the principal will be coming back to them anyway.

He even had the luck to propose his idea at a time when

1) A mage was available due to personality clashes with a more senior employee.
2) His manager was looking for a way to spend some of their yearly budget before the end of the financial year so they would get the same amount next year.

End result

1) He becomes the manager of the "long term apprentice mage discovery program"
2) The mage got a much less problematic job teaching kids and looking out for other mages plus room, food and living expenses with no actual need to justify anything even if they aren't earning as much as other more upwardly mobile mages and their budgets fixed.
3) A bunch of lower class kids get a chance at a slightly better life.
4) Sony gets some good PR.
5) The initial investment has to be spent anyway to keep next year's budget from being reduced and this way it will actually be earned back twice first in taxes and then by reclaiming the principal plus any additional tax revenue the mage pays to the company.
6) Any other facilities for the inner city children such as an abandoned depot can now be claimed as charity dedications on taxes.

All in all a win/win situation for all involved.
« Last Edit: <11-27-17/2306:33> by Senko »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <11-28-17/0328:13> »
OK, I see what you are saying. Not a bad idea for those that are willing to play a "long" game to influence...

Or, just that kind person you meet every now and then.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-28-17/0503:28> »
Not even contradictory the company is playing the long game while the mage in question could quite legiitimately be kind and helping the kids out. For a lot of poor kids in the books/movies of this kind of world someone who can give them a real education and even a basic job is going to be helping them out. They don't even need to direct all the kids to the company recruiter just the ones they think would be a good fit for corporate life. That shaman mage?

"Yes sir I trained them and sent them on their way."
"Why? They follow coyote not a good fit as an employee."
"Why did I train them then? Now there's another mage out there who knows of us as a good place to send potential hermetic mages too for a good job."
"Yes sir, good day sir."
"There Johan they wont bother you now just if you do actually meet someone who'd like to work for a major corp send them my way ok."

Then of course there's fun things like double dipping the tax laws where you tax the mage's income from the trust fund (limited sin tax leaves trust fund income for simplicity) then claim the entire salary pre-tax as a charity write off as your paying the guy teaching all these inner city kids.

It really does offer all sorts of possibilitiles depending on how you want to run it . . .

1) Overbearing corp breathing down everyones neck for proff of concept.
2) Hands off corp happy to claim all the benefits financial and otherwise whlie taking a long term view as some corps do have 100 year plans I've been told.
3) Inbetween corp running a genuine experiment in multiple cities/demographics and otherwise being largely hands off till they see if it works/fails in say 15-20 years enough time for the first employees to start coming through.
4) Friendly mage loving the freedom from corporate politics and doing what they can to genuinely help the kids under their care.
5) Manipulative mage trying to get a way back into corporate politics.
6) Broken mage who just doesn't care as long as they can keep collecting their paychecks (Although this may require some changes in the negative qualities).

and now I must go to a movie. Anyway hopefully these posts help clarify what I'm aiming for with this character in case anyone has any advice on things I should add/change.