NEWS

Legal SR5 sample characters?

• 15 Replies

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« on: <03-12-15/0923:11> »
My nephew has asked me to run a session of Shadowrun for him and a few of his friends from work.  I won't be meeting them until the session itself, and want to be able to offer a selection of legal characters so that if they decide to continue playing as a group they can keep the character they started with.

Given the short notice, I was wondering if anyone had any legal, non-optimised, sample characters?

I have Herolab and all of the available packages, and have heard mention that there are some legal versions of the corebook archetypes but the ones I can find are exactly as in the book itself, broken rules and all.

Can anyone help?  The game is tomorrow evening (March 13th).

Thanks in advance.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-12-15/1011:42> »
There are a decent number in the Character Creation and Critique forum (optimization level varies and read the comments since the initial versions aren't always legal).  I know Eric put in a lot of time converting the ones in the book to legal status, but I'm not sure if those files have been shared on the forums or not--a quick search can't find them.

In any event, if you gave us some idea what "non-optimized" means to you--because that will mean very different things to different people--and what sort of archetypes you're looking for, I'm sure folks could whip something up.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

8-bit

« Reply #2 on: <03-12-15/1115:25> »
Since the archetypes are by no means optimized, you can use them. They just need to have their sheets fixed to conform to actual character creation. I recommend this thread.

As for actual non-optimized characters that I've created; can't help you there. All my own have medium-high optimization built into them. I could maybe whip a few things up, if you want to list which archetypes you want. The above thread should be useful for you though.

Sterling

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-12-15/1138:31> »
There are a decent number in the Character Creation and Critique forum (optimization level varies and read the comments since the initial versions aren't always legal).  I know Eric put in a lot of time converting the ones in the book to legal status, but I'm not sure if those files have been shared on the forums or not--a quick search can't find them.

In any event, if you gave us some idea what "non-optimized" means to you--because that will mean very different things to different people--and what sort of archetypes you're looking for, I'm sure folks could whip something up.

I'm really looking for characters without dump stats, with dice pools of no higher than 14 even in their "specialities".  The idea is to give them a true "milk run", let them have a chance to both fail and succeed so they can see how the system works.

Since the archetypes are by no means optimized, you can use them. They just need to have their sheets fixed to conform to actual character creation. I recommend this thread.

As for actual non-optimized characters that I've created; can't help you there. All my own have medium-high optimization built into them. I could maybe whip a few things up, if you want to list which archetypes you want. The above thread should be useful for you though.

I've looked over the thread, indeed I've even commented in the thread.  The problem is that I'm still coming across issues with the characters, e.g. the Trolls and Dwarves haven't been charged the Lifestyle differences, the Face hasn't even got a Lifestyle, that sort of thing.

Let me stress I'm not asking for anyone to do the job for me, rather I was wondering if anyone had some ready-made sample characters for new players.  If not then it's gonna be a late night!
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

8-bit

« Reply #4 on: <03-12-15/1140:47> »
Are you looking for straight up Priority, or could you be amenable to Sum to 10?

Sterling

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-12-15/1145:53> »
Sum to Ten is absolutely fine (it's my preferred method, actually).
>>Data Trails, p.82

8-bit

« Reply #6 on: <03-12-15/1212:02> »
Does something like this work? It's using only stuff from the Core Rule Book; I can expand to all the books, if you want.

[spoiler=Adept Gunslinger]-- Karma Expenditure --
25 Starting
-19 Positive Qualities
+25 Negative Qualities
-10 20,000 nuyen

Remaining Karma: 21

-- Priorities --
Metatype A (Human)
Attributes B
Magic D (Adept)
Skills C
Resources E

-- Attributes --
Body 3
Agility 4
Reaction 4 (7)
Strength 3
Willpower 3
Logic 3
Intuition 5
Charisma 3
Edge 7
Essence 6
Magic 6

Initiative - 12 + 4d6
Physical Condition Monitor - 10
Stun Condition Monitor - 10
Overflow Boxes - 3
Physical Limit - 6
Mental Limit - 5
Social Limit - 5

-- Qualities --
Bilingual (-5 Karma)
Catlike (-7 Karma)
Natural Athlete (-7 Karma)
Allergy - Soy, Mild (+10 Karma)
Astral Beacon (+10 Karma)
Distinctive Style (+5 Karma)

-- Skills --
Automatics 6 (+2 Assault Rifles) | Dice pool of 13 (15)
Con 6 | Dice pool of 9
Gymnastics 2 | Dice pool of 8
Palming 4 | Dice pool of 8
Perception 6 | Dice pool of 11
Pilot Ground Craft 1 | Dice pool of 8
Running 2 | Dice pool of 7
Sneaking 4 | Dice pool of 8
Swimming 2 | Dice pool of 7

-- Skill Groups --
Athletics 2

-- Knowledge/Language Skills --
Language N
Language N
16 Free Points

-- Adept Powers --
Improved Reflexes 3 (3.5 PP)
Combat Sense 1 (0.5 PP)
Enhanced Accuracy - Automatics (0.25 PP)
Improved Ability - Automatics 3 (1.5 PP)
Improved Sense - Thermographic Vision (0.25 PP)

-- Gear --
Armor Jacket - 1,000 nuyen
Ares Crusader II w/ Internal Smartgun, Gas-Vent 2, Quick-Draw Holster, 2 Spare Clips - 1,015 nuyen
Ares Alpha w/ Underbarrel Grenade Launcher, Internal Smartgun, Gas-Vent 3, 2 Spare Clips - 3,260 nuyen
Machine Pistol Ammunition: 120 Regular, 120 Gel - 540 nuyen
Assault Rifle Ammunition: 84 Regular, 84 Gel - 378 nuyen
Renraku Sensei Commlink - 1,000 nuyen
Trodes - 70 nuyen
AR Gloves - 150 nuyen
Gas Mask - 200 nuyen
Capacity 3 Contacts w/ Image Link, Smartlink, Vision Magnification - 2,875 nuyen
2 Silver, 2 Standard Credsticks - 50 nuyen
Rating 3 Fake SIN w/ Rating 2 Fake License (Concealed Carry), Rating 2 Fake License (Registered Adept) - 8,300 nuyen
Yamaha Growler - 5,000 nuyen
1 month of Low Lifestyle - 2,000 nuyen

Remaining Money - 162 + (3d6 x 60)

-- Contacts --
9 Free Points[/spoiler]

By the way, do you have Chummer5? It doesn't support Sum to 10, but I can leave the notes about the differences under the "Notes" section of the Character Info tab. Much easier to just share files instead of handwriting it all out.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #7 on: <03-12-15/1220:22> »
For the Missions pregenerated characters, we've been using HeroLab to create PDF files.  If you'd like, I think I'd be allowed to share them here.  I'll check and get back to you.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Sterling

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <03-12-15/1424:21> »
Does something like this work? It's using only stuff from the Core Rule Book; I can expand to all the books, if you want.

[spoiler=Adept Gunslinger]-- Karma Expenditure --
25 Starting
-19 Positive Qualities
+25 Negative Qualities
-10 20,000 nuyen

Remaining Karma: 21

-- Priorities --
Metatype A (Human)
Attributes B
Magic D (Adept)
Skills C
Resources E

-- Attributes --
Body 3
Agility 4
Reaction 4 (7)
Strength 3
Willpower 3
Logic 3
Intuition 5
Charisma 3
Edge 7
Essence 6
Magic 6

Initiative - 12 + 4d6
Physical Condition Monitor - 10
Stun Condition Monitor - 10
Overflow Boxes - 3
Physical Limit - 6
Mental Limit - 5
Social Limit - 5

-- Qualities --
Bilingual (-5 Karma)
Catlike (-7 Karma)
Natural Athlete (-7 Karma)
Allergy - Soy, Mild (+10 Karma)
Astral Beacon (+10 Karma)
Distinctive Style (+5 Karma)

-- Skills --
Automatics 6 (+2 Assault Rifles) | Dice pool of 13 (15)
Con 6 | Dice pool of 9
Gymnastics 2 | Dice pool of 8
Palming 4 | Dice pool of 8
Perception 6 | Dice pool of 11
Pilot Ground Craft 1 | Dice pool of 8
Running 2 | Dice pool of 7
Sneaking 4 | Dice pool of 8
Swimming 2 | Dice pool of 7

-- Skill Groups --
Athletics 2

-- Knowledge/Language Skills --
Language N
Language N
16 Free Points

-- Adept Powers --
Improved Reflexes 3 (3.5 PP)
Combat Sense 1 (0.5 PP)
Enhanced Accuracy - Automatics (0.25 PP)
Improved Ability - Automatics 3 (1.5 PP)
Improved Sense - Thermographic Vision (0.25 PP)

-- Gear --
Armor Jacket - 1,000 nuyen
Ares Crusader II w/ Internal Smartgun, Gas-Vent 2, Quick-Draw Holster, 2 Spare Clips - 1,015 nuyen
Ares Alpha w/ Underbarrel Grenade Launcher, Internal Smartgun, Gas-Vent 3, 2 Spare Clips - 3,260 nuyen
Machine Pistol Ammunition: 120 Regular, 120 Gel - 540 nuyen
Assault Rifle Ammunition: 84 Regular, 84 Gel - 378 nuyen
Renraku Sensei Commlink - 1,000 nuyen
Trodes - 70 nuyen
AR Gloves - 150 nuyen
Gas Mask - 200 nuyen
Capacity 3 Contacts w/ Image Link, Smartlink, Vision Magnification - 2,875 nuyen
2 Silver, 2 Standard Credsticks - 50 nuyen
Rating 3 Fake SIN w/ Rating 2 Fake License (Concealed Carry), Rating 2 Fake License (Registered Adept) - 8,300 nuyen
Yamaha Growler - 5,000 nuyen
1 month of Low Lifestyle - 2,000 nuyen

Remaining Money - 162 + (3d6 x 60)

-- Contacts --
9 Free Points[/spoiler]

By the way, do you have Chummer5? It doesn't support Sum to 10, but I can leave the notes about the differences under the "Notes" section of the Character Info tab. Much easier to just share files instead of handwriting it all out.

That's great, and yes, I do have Chummer5 as well as Herolab.

Thanks for this.
>>Data Trails, p.82

Sterling

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <03-12-15/1425:35> »
For the Missions pregenerated characters, we've been using HeroLab to create PDF files.  If you'd like, I think I'd be allowed to share them here.  I'll check and get back to you.

If it's permitted that would be brilliant.  If not then thanks for at least trying, it is appreciated.
>>Data Trails, p.82

8-bit

« Reply #10 on: <03-12-15/1643:32> »
Here is a link to the folder with all the current Chummer5 files that I made for you. You'll have to download the files to be able to read them from Chummer, but it's the easiest way to share it. Are these acceptable? Do you need more? I figure it was a decent list to choose from, but it is a little limited (although, for introducing players, it is sort of advanced). All of the characters are perfectly legal straight from the Core Rule Book (except for Sum to 10); none of them have Used 'Ware; and I tried to keep it as simple and streamlined as possible. Don't forget to check the notes section under the Character Information tab; that will tell you if it used Priority or Sum to 10.

Sterling

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-12-15/1658:04> »
These are great, thanks.

Like I said earlier, I want the players to experience failing dice rolls as well as succeeding, which is why I like them to have lower dice pools at the start.  I also find it encourages them to experiment a bit more if they have more skills at lower ratings.

Because I don't know which characters they are going to pick I'm building the session in such a way that they can succeed without using the Matrix and / or Magic, but if they choose characters with abilities in those areas there are alternate ways of moving forwards.

But now I'm rambling.  Thanks for the assist omae.
>>Data Trails, p.82

8-bit

« Reply #12 on: <03-12-15/1702:42> »
I tried to keep the dice pools low (although, if your players read the books, they can easily get their social/gun pools up just through miscellaneous bonuses). I also tried to keep the Edge in the Medium-High range, as that supplies more of a safety net (and was the easiest way to move power away from "normal" dice pools). It also means they can go for broke and try and Edge rolls for those epic and memorable moments.

Most of the skills were put in the 4-6 range; you can edit them, if you wish. They are just templates, after all.

I hope that helped.

Edit: I just noticed that about the only "main" thing I didn't have in there was a Rigger. Needless to say, Riggers can get complicated quickly with the rules, but I can easily make one up, if you want.
« Last Edit: <03-12-15/1709:49> by 8-bit »

Sterling

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <03-12-15/1715:10> »
I think I'll avoid the Rigger at the moment.

I am putting in a car chase but it's really just for flavour so a Rigger might feel a little left out of the spotlight.

To give a better visual representation of the chase / combat I've dug out my old Dark Future boardgame from the 80's.

Fingers crossed they have a good time and decide to continue playing.
>>Data Trails, p.82

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <03-12-15/2330:55> »
Here's a mystic adept build from me:
[spoiler]
Mystic Adept Face

Concept:
A Shinto mystic adept, primarily oriented around a face role.  Equally at home on the streets or in a corporate setting, although temperamentally unsuited for lengthy corporate employment - as she recently found out.  Currently in lower circumstances than she would like, she is waiting to purchase a magical lodge until her situation improves a bit.

BREAKDOWN (Sum to Ten)
A: Mystic Adept (Magic: 6, 2 rating: 5 magical skills, 10 spells)
Note: Shinto tradition
B: Attributes (20)
B: Skills (36/5)
E: Human (1)
E: Resources (6,000 Nuyen)

Starting Karma (25)
Positive Qualities - 10
Negative Qualities - <25>
6 Power Points - 30
+20,000 Nuyen - 10

=Attributes=
Body: 3
Agility: 4
Reaction: 3(5)
Strength: 2
Charisma: 6
Intuition: 3
Logic: 2
Willpower: 5
Edge: 3
Magic: 6

Essence: 6.00
Initiative: 6 + 1d6

=Positive Qualities=
Bilingual
Mentor Spirit - Raven (Tengu)

=Negative Qualities=
Allergy: Silver, Moderate
Code of Honor (Innocents)

=Active Skills=
Con: 3
Counterspelling: 6
Disguise: 2
Gymnastics/Dance: 4/+2
Influence Skill Group: 5
Intimidation: 2
Palming: 3
Perception: 3
Pilot Ground Craft: 2
Pistols/Semi-Automatics: 4/+2
Sneaking: 3
Spellcasting: 6
Summoning: 6

=Knowledge Skills=
Languages>
English: N
Japanese: N

Other>
Corporate Politics/Renraku: 3/+2
Fashion: 3
Seattle Night Life: 3

=Contacts=
Fixer (Connection: 5/Loyalty: 2)
Night Club Owner (Connection: 4/Loyalty: 2)
Talismonger (Connection: 3/Loyalty: 2)

=Adept Powers=
Agility Boost: 1
Authoritative Tone: 3
Combat Sense: 1
Improved Reflexes: 2
Kinesics: 3
Linguistics
Nimble Fingers
Traceless Walk
Voice Control: 1

=Spells=
Clout
Detox
Heal
Euphoria
Improved Invisibility
Physical Mask
Fashion
Influence
Levitate
Makeover

=Lifestyle=
Low (1 Month prepaid)
Starting Money: 3d6 x 60 Nuyen

=Equipment=
ID/Credsticks:
Fake ID (Rating: 3) with Fake Spellcasting License (Rating: 3), Fake Gun Permit (Rating: 3), Fake Concealed Carry Permit (Rating: 3), and Fake Driver's License (Rating: 3); 4 Standard and 4 Silver Certified  Credsticks.

Weapons:
>Browning Ultra-Power with concealable holster, 2 spare clips, silencer, 100 rounds of APDS ammo, and 100 rounds of gel ammo.

Armor/Clothing:
Armor Jacket, Armor Vest, 1,000 Nuyen of assorted clothing (good suit).

Commlink/Software:
Sony Emperor Commlink with biometric reader and mapsoft (Seattle); Meta Link Commlink (disposable/throwaway).

Vehicle:
Evo Falcon off-road bike (= Yamaha Growler).

Other:
Micro-Transceiver, Glasses (Capacity: 2) with flare compensation and low-light vision, Medkit (Rating: 6) with supplies (x 1).
[/spoiler]