NEWS

(SR5) availability roll

• 5 Replies

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« on: <02-03-21/0845:31> »
In the 5e CRB the availability roll when trying to obtain new gear is explained as an opposed roll, but I'm sure I've seen it done as an extended test using the avl rating as threshold. Did I just imagine that, or is it a house rule I've seen somewhere?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-03-21/1143:09> »
SR420A p. 312 The Availability Test
If a character wishes to purchase a controlled item on the black market, make a Negotiation + Charisma Extended Test with a threshold equal to the Availability and an interval based on the item’s cost (see the Availability Interval table, below).

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-03-21/1302:11> »
I wouldn't be surprised if there were a 5e example here or there when an Availability test was said to be extended rather than opposed.  Could have happened for any number of reasons, but yes you're "supposed" to roll opposed.  Subject to the Rule Zero trump, as always.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« Reply #3 on: <02-04-21/1346:12> »
SR420A p. 312 The Availability Test
If a character wishes to purchase a controlled item on the black market, make a Negotiation + Charisma Extended Test with a threshold equal to the Availability and an interval based on the item’s cost (see the Availability Interval table, below).

Is that 4e, or what?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-04-21/1351:12> »
A sub-edition of 4e, yes.  SR 20th Anniversary Edition.   Kind of a 4e mark II.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-04-21/1430:17> »
Is that 4e
Yes.

Shadowrun 4th Edition - 20th Anniversary Core Book - 20 Years of Man, Magic, Machine.