NEWS

SR5: Space and radiation

• 7 Replies

Dudesomebody

• Newb
« on: <01-09-21/1341:24> »
  I was wanting to find info about what happens to a player that is exposed to outer space, you know, the icy void that rests between worlds. It does weird things to magic and it is expensive to get there, although less so after the space elevator in 2072 I think?? I even found rules for maintaining a space suite, just not what happens to the players should one fail.
 I know the rules for suffocating but I can't find anything else, I am not sure if it would be in a book and I can't find any references online. Thought maybe you guys could help a chummer out :)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <01-09-21/1459:53> »
The 5e book Run and Gun covers the basics of Space, and some of the hazards there...
Street Grimoire has some info on radiation damage..

I know there was a blurb somewhere about environmental radiation, but I can't find it right now in my PDF collection.

If a space suit fails.... well... lets just say its not pretty.

If its just the radiation shielding, you cook to death (it just might take days to weeks as the radiation kills off cells, one cell at a time.)
If its a pin hole in the suit, you suffocate in seconds, as all the air escapes through the hole at the speed of sound, much means given the volume of a space suit, it would take less time for the air to escape, then it would take you draw a single breath.... and the air would even be ripped out of your lungs, and even through your skin during such a breech (if in a vacuum such as space, or a station that is not pressurized).

Its the vacuum that makes space dangerous, as it changes many of the factors you think of here on earth... with no outside pressure to keep gasses in place, they move to fill the void (space) at the speed of sound, which means even a tiny pinprick in a suit can lead to a rapid loss of pressure, and without pressure, you can not breathe (the expansion and contraction of your chest cavity, which creates a vacuum, and draws air into your lungs. but, when dealing with vacuum pressures, the larger wins out, which would be space).

I would look for environmental hazards in the books, you might find the radiation entry, I know there was one.. I just can't remember which book.

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-09-21/1608:38> »
Radiation take too long to kill you. If you end up in space without a way to maintain pressure you have more immediate things to worry about.

You quickly go unconscious (within seconds). And after a few minutes you die due to lack of oxygen in your brain.

Moisture in your mouth and on your eyes will evaporate (but the elasticity of your skin and veins still initially create enough pressure to prevent your blood to 'boil').

Unlike Hollywood movies, it take many hours or even days before your dead body freeze.
« Last Edit: <01-09-21/1614:51> by Xenon »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-09-21/1714:25> »
Radiation take too long to kill you. If you end up in space without a way to maintain pressure you have more immediate things to worry about.

You quickly go unconscious (within seconds). And after a few minutes you die due to lack of oxygen in your brain.

Moisture in your mouth and on your eyes will evaporate (but the elasticity of your skin and veins still initially create enough pressure to prevent your blood to 'boil').

Unlike Hollywood movies, it take many hours or even days before your dead body freeze.

True... but even SR5 is more in the "movie physics" camp than being a truly realistic rules engine.  YMMV.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Dudesomebody

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-09-21/1828:32> »
All very interesting stuff but I was more looking for hard rules, doesn't seem like there are any. All useful food for thought though, thanks.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <01-09-21/2315:11> »
yea, Space is not really a setting in Shadowrun, beyond (I think) 2 published missions, and one of those is from way back in 3e.

Part of this is because Space has vast effects on a portion of the player base... As in "You die. No save. No roll. Please make a new character, and make better life choices"... Which isn't fun.

Shadowrun is primarily an urban game in terms of setting.

If you can get your hands on it, I think it was "Year of the Comet" and "Wake of the Comet" that had the most info about Space, and Space runs, and why they are not really a thing.... Keep in mind, you are also talking 3 editions old too. 
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-10-21/0540:03> »
All very interesting stuff but I was more looking for hard rules, doesn't seem like there are any.
As shadowrun typically doesn't take place in space you will probably not find any rules for it.

Having said that, IIRC magicians that project towards space typically die or go mad (because space is void of life/mana).

Edit: Being exposed to very low pressure is a lot rougher than suffocation from regular drowning. If you want to get ideas for how to house rule it I would suggest getting inspiration from the Engulf Critter Power (either Water Engulf or Air Engulf will probably do).
« Last Edit: <01-10-21/0546:46> by Xenon »

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-11-21/1254:23> »
There's good info on space-based settings in SR4 Hazard Pay, easily adapted for SR5.