NEWS

(SR5) Counterstrike

• 2 Replies

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« on: <02-21-20/0446:48> »
I’m trying to gauge the feasibility in the Counterstrike adept power (SG p. 170). For this to work it seems like I need to have an initiative score that’s either 6 higher or no more than 5 lower than my opponent’s initiative since the whole thing only works if I take a Block action and then need my next action to happen before my opponent’s next action (i.e. I need to act twice in a row, first Block, then attack).

If my opponent’s next action phase happens after my Block, but before my next action phase then he’s going to attack me again before I can Counterstrike.

Example:
Opponent initiative: 19
My initiative: 13

On 19 he punches me in the face, but I take an interrupt action to block with 2 net hits. Now I’m in a position to Counterstrike on my next action. However, since I took a -5 to my initiative score for Block, my next action is now on 8, whereas my opponent acts again on 9 where he will try to punch me again. So I have to defend one more time before I can counterstrike.

Say my initiative was 18 my opponent would still punch me first, but my Block action would only bring my next action phase down to 13, whereas he doesn’t act till 9, so now I can Counterstrike before he acts again.

This works the same way even if I act first, except I don’t need to be defensive on my first action phase.

That seems like a very specific scenario for a 1 PP adept power...

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <02-21-20/0601:12> »
You're thinking the wrong edition. SR5 first everyone goes once, then you lower by 10, then everyone who still has >0 goes again. It's not '19-9-8', it's '19-8' then '9'.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« Reply #2 on: <02-21-20/0656:48> »
Shit, you’re right, aren’t you? In my example I would still get to act on 8 in the first action phase and be able to counterstrike on 8 before next action phase begins.

Thanks, not sure what I was thinking.