NEWS

Land of Promise - Rampant Speculation Please!

• 79 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <08-20-12/1618:33> »
There's a picture in the original TT book that gets me every time. A female police officer whose back is to the camera, hands lighting up with magic as she faces off with a bad guy.

I've made, like, five characters off of that one piece of art alone.

I have no doubt that Wak also remembers it because

/Pacino in Heat Mode On

She's got a GREAT ASS!

/Pacino in Heat Mode Off

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <08-20-12/1729:25> »
That didn't hurt, I'll confess. :)

Starglyte

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <08-20-12/1818:41> »
Bummer, E-Book only. :*(

Ah well, I will pick it up anyways, just because its something I been waiting for since the supposed 4th location book Awakened Haunts ( and I am a big fan of the original Tir book). That and maybe a chance for more books like it...

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <08-20-12/1912:33> »

4)  I don't want to deflate anyone's hopes or shatter dreams, but please keep in mind Land of Promise is just a small, largely unsolicited (IE, it was the writer's idea to make the pitch, it wasn't the developer's idea to go looking for a book to be written), e-book only release.

Oh. Well in that case its a no go for me. Dont do any PDF's that arent also print.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #19 on: <08-20-12/1915:24> »

4)  I don't want to deflate anyone's hopes or shatter dreams, but please keep in mind Land of Promise is just a small, largely unsolicited (IE, it was the writer's idea to make the pitch, it wasn't the developer's idea to go looking for a book to be written), e-book only release.

Oh. Well in that case its a no go for me. Dont do any PDF's that arent also print.
While you're certainly free to hold that opinion, it means you're missing out on an awful lot of Shadowrun.  I hope that the (generally) low price-point on some of our pdf offerings will, someday, encourage you to rethink that policy. 

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <08-20-12/1922:17> »

While you're certainly free to hold that opinion, it means you're missing out on an awful lot of Shadowrun.  I hope that the (generally) low price-point on some of our pdf offerings will, someday, encourage you to rethink that policy.

*shrug* Then I miss it. I generally dont see it as missing anything. It could be free and I still dont want it. I *LIKE* print books. I dont generally like nor buy PDF's ever. I like holding books. Doesnt matter the game or setting- if paizo's offerings were only PDF and not print I wouldnt download them either, even free. I pass on their piazo adventures that are for their organized society....their ebook/PDF only.

If a friend of mine didnt snag eleven blood at GenCon in print form I'd have passed on ebook/PDF versions of that as well.

Nothing personal, I hope it does well. But ebook only isnt for me. Its a dealbreaker.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #21 on: <08-20-12/1925:12> »
Why are people anti-pdf only?  That makes no sense to me.  \

PDFs are cheap, easy to share within your group of friends, you can print them yourself for (generally) less then $20 if you really want to, and Shadowrun has a ton of great books in PDF (Safehouses, Missions, Parabiology, Used Cars, Gun Heaven books etc. (ok some of them did make it to the Runners Black Book, but they made great PDFs.  I did get the 1st Gun Heaven professionall printed for something like $10 at the local Officeworks and the sam players loved it,).

So why not support PDF books?
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <08-20-12/1930:52> »
Why are people anti-pdf only?  That makes no sense to me.  \

PDFs are cheap, easy to share within your group of friends, you can print them yourself for (generally) less then $20 if you really want to, and Shadowrun has a ton of great books in PDF (Safehouses, Missions, Parabiology, Used Cars, Gun Heaven books etc. (ok some of them did make it to the Runners Black Book, but they made great PDFs.  I did get the 1st Gun Heaven professionall printed for something like $10 at the local Officeworks and the sam players loved it,).

So why not support PDF books?

I *LIKE* books. I like holding them. I like the fact I dont need an electronic devise to use. I dont have to print them out. And I can share it easily if I want. Its something I own. Too many times I've seen certain companies revoke a right or have corrupted data. But ultimatelty it comes down to I like printed books, not PDF's, Price isnt an issue.....I'll drop and have on printed books- from shadowrun's $45 print hardcovers to $119 Ptolus book ages ago to paizo's $15-$40.

I've got money set aside of shadowrun 2050 print version. But even though the PDF is available now, I'm not interested in the buddle.

Even if folks gave away the PDF's for free I still wouldnt take it. Call me old fashion. But I put my money where my mouth is.
« Last Edit: <08-20-12/1932:28> by carmachu »

WSN0W

• Chummer
  • Never let a friend fool you twice.
« Reply #23 on: <08-20-12/1941:54> »
I totally get the desire to have the book in hands. I just can't do it any more logistically as I have 15 bookshelves already full in my house and that's after my latest moving purge. Finding a good eReader with the right case also helped sell me on .pdfs as you can get a solid tactile feel of holding and reading the book and not needing to bust out the laptop or whatever.

There are tons of awesome pdf only for Shadowrun and I'm super pumped about this one. I have a Tir Ghost game I have in the cold storage locker the players and myself have been considering thawing out to continue.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #24 on: <08-20-12/1945:21> »
For what it's worth, I don't mean for my above bullet-point to give people such low expectations they think they're getting a pdf scan of some notes scribbled on the back of a napkin, or something.   ;D  There's plenty of awesome stuff in the book!  I'd tell you what's in there if I was allowed to, just so y'all could see what cool stuff you're gonna get, but I'm not allowed to do that sort of thing.  I just want to make sure folks don't expect a couple hundred pages of in-depth socio-economics and history and whatnot, like Mr. Findley's original book.  It's an update, much more than a rewrite, of that seminal classic.

And, also for what it's worth, Carmachu I don't hold it against you for having a no-pdf mentality.  I'm a historian and writer, I know very well the pleasure that can come from holding a book in your hands and slowly paging through it.  I've got no hard feelings, and I'm not out to argue with you or anything, I just feel bad because there's a whole line of products you're missing out on. 

WSNOW, you guys should like this one plenty once it hits e-shelves. 

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <08-20-12/1957:32> »

And, also for what it's worth, Carmachu I don't hold it against you for having a no-pdf mentality.  I'm a historian and writer, I know very well the pleasure that can come from holding a book in your hands and slowly paging through it.  I've got no hard feelings, and I'm not out to argue with you or anything, I just feel bad because there's a whole line of products you're missing out on. 

For what its worth, I hope its very successful. I'm not demanding folks do it the way I want. Simply pointing out, its a deal breaker for me. Figured it had to be said so to speak. I might be missing some products but for my own tastes, its nothing I'll miss. I have a whole shelf of 20 years worth of Shadowrun stuff. A handful of PDF's in comparison isnt much. Good luck!

WSN0W

• Chummer
  • Never let a friend fool you twice.
« Reply #26 on: <08-20-12/2008:08> »

WSNOW, you guys should like this one plenty once it hits e-shelves. 

I fully expect to. I have a PbP game with a player that is also bouncing off the walls for it so it's really a top pick item.

So to quote some Spaceballs. "When will then be now?"

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #27 on: <08-20-12/2024:38> »
So to quote some Spaceballs. "When will then be now?"
While I don't have a hard date, it shouldn't be very long.  As far as I know, all that's really left is layout and final-final drafts on some artwork.  GenCon takes up a ton of our attention and basically locks up production for a little bit, but once we're all back in the swing of things and recovery from the epic Indianapolis pilgrimage, it shouldn't take long, I think.

Starglyte

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <08-20-12/2243:10> »
I am another one who prefers books to e-books (odd for a history major like myself who loves that its so much easier to research with online resources). I just happen to occasionally let myself pick up a e-book if and only if it won't see print.  That is of course assuming I really want the content, like in this case.  Usually, e-book only won't get my cash.  One of the reasons I dropped White Wolf before they got their POD actually working.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <08-20-12/2351:40> »
Another historian here (We're a clique!) and, yeah, I'm not a big fan of PDFs. Mind you, I've worked on one already (Street Legends: Home Edition ... it's free! You know you want it!), but when possible, I'll pick a book every time.

That said, there *are* print on demand services (Tho I don't know how they work exactly with Shadowrun PDFs.Hrm. I should find that out.) and, of course, you can always fire up the ol' home printer and get to tabulating.

CanRay, for instance, rather famously printed out Shadowrun 2050 and made himself an oldschool 3-ring binder book out of it. That was tres keen!

So, yeah, I get why the PDF-only stuff isn't your bag, but it never hurts to give 'em a try.

(But you can have my bookshelf when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.)