NEWS

Number of Known Complex Forms

• 6 Replies

忍

« on: <01-03-17/1259:31> »
What determines the number of complex forms a TM can know? I thought it was resonance x 2, however I can't find it.

Imladir

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-03-17/1338:24> »
CRB p252:

You may know a total of (Resonance x 2) complex forms.
"Speech" | *Thoughts* | >>Matrix<< | ~Astral~

&#24525;

« Reply #2 on: <01-03-17/1502:53> »
Thank you.

Furthermore on page 98, TMs have the restriction of knowing a "number of complex forms at character creation equal to [their] Logic Attribute" while mages have just Magic x 2. Has anyone found this to be ideal for chargen or problematic for game play?

Imladir

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-03-17/1519:50> »
Before the errata, there weren't many interesting CF, so I don't think it was a problem. It wasn't for my TM at least.
But now, with decent Fade Values, it could be. That being said, they're not too difficult nor expensive to learn so it's probably ok.
"Speech" | *Thoughts* | >>Matrix<< | ~Astral~

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-03-17/1536:33> »
I haven't noticed a problem with myself either. I've seen a few Technomancer players as a GM, though I haven't played one.

That being said, from a practical perspective, there aren't that many Complex Forms overall. There are only 14 CFs in the Core Rulebook and with the addition of other books I don't think that number has yet doubled in size.

I don't think the limitations are to unreasonable.

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <01-03-17/1541:43> »
I do not really see a reason to limit total number of CF's for the Technomancer, except during Character Creation.
Mages are only restricted in the number of Spells they learn at Character Creation, but have no restriction on number of spells known total (Which could be hundreds given time/karma).
Technomancers should have the same setup, in my opinion (even if they have far less access to CF's than mages have spells).
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

HiddenBoss

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <01-04-17/0343:30> »
I think the number of CF's that can be known is a hold over from 4e where CF's are "programs" used for martix actions that you had and for the ones you did not have, you needed to make on the fly taking drain.
« Last Edit: <01-04-17/0351:01> by HiddenBoss »