NEWS

So, why play Missions?

• 34 Replies

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <09-09-10/1929:45> »
though I hate to kiss the behind, I support the missions because you get support on them.....have a question that is reasonable, you ask Bull and before long you get an answer or he adds that to the upcoming missions. Even when if i ask not the best of question (as naga-nuyen in dumpshock) i felt respected by his responses....You get loyalty for that 10 times over....cheers runners!

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #16 on: <09-09-10/1935:26> »
Give me some time.  I'm still getting the house in order for Season 4, but once I do, it's possible we'll be looking for more writers.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #17 on: <09-10-10/0023:51> »
I'm sure this is addressed elsewhere, but I'll take the plunge anyway.

I would like to become one of the "official" GMs for running Shadowrun at Cons and for demos. Can someone point me in the right direction? =)
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #18 on: <09-10-10/0027:45> »
I'm sure this is addressed elsewhere, but I'll take the plunge anyway.

I would like to become one of the "official" GMs for running Shadowrun at Cons and for demos. Can someone point me in the right direction? =)
Catalyst Demo Teams Enlistment

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #19 on: <09-10-10/1202:20> »
Groovy, thanks. I thought I had seen that page somewhere before but couldn't remember how i got there.. lol
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <09-10-10/1740:54> »
The other nice thing about the missions adventures is that you can play a character with some experience at a con (or if you are lucky enough to have a firebase near you there also) and know that the player next to you had to work for the experience, gear and perks his character got not just handed to him by some Monty Hall GM. Also it is a somewhat controlled world to keep a more even keel for the game base.

That being said there is now a huge amount of Karma disparity between some players who have characters dating back several years to the Denver (or even first Seattle) series of missions and the characters that only have one or two missions under their belts. Not only does this give them a bit of an advantage and a tendency to sometimes (though not intentionally in my experience) take over a game, but makes it harder for a GM to run a fair, balanced game that challenges all the players and in which everyone has fun (the two main goals of every game I run).

I am not saying that these players shouldn't be allowed to continue to play these characters. If anything I would like to see grander adventures to challenge them more. I know the table rating system allows for this compensation to an extent, and is the purpose behind it, but I think it would be cool to at each convention have a major mission (maybe run 3 or more times through the convention) that is solely for the 50+ or 100+ karma characters.

By the same token it might be nice to have a game or two of pure starting characters (or under 20 karma) so they have a chance to shine and everyone is truely on even footing.

"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #21 on: <09-10-10/1748:49> »
Well in the works right now is retirement for the karma heavy characters so depending on where Bull sets the bar you may soon see alot of new characters.

Mind you it's NOT full retirement there is talk or Prime Runner Missions 1 or 2 times a year for them.

This is the last of the known info Bull will need to step in and say more when he actually has or can say more.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <09-10-10/2358:38> »
It's not retirement.  It's Promotion. :)

Yeah, yeah, fine distinction there, I know.  <grin>

When you go to enter a new Season, if your karma total is above a certain amount (as yet unannounced), that character will be "promoted" to Prime Runner status.  They won;t be eligible for regular missions (SRM seasonal Missions or CMP Convention Missions), but the plan is to release several "Prime Missions" each year for those characters.  Plus, your new character gets a couple minor perks, as a reward for having played in previous seasons of Missions.

Bull

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #23 on: <09-11-10/1558:52> »
Heh Heh....Sounds good bull now if you can figure out where to chop us off at the knees at ......err promote us  ;D we can see if we need to make new characters.

I know I know nag nag nag ...............goes an sits in the corner and shuts up!
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <09-11-10/2052:18> »
cool it kind of sounds like what I was talking about. The "perks" will they be for the "promoted" characters or the players new character?

Walks Through Walls

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <09-12-10/0007:32> »
@Cas:  Honestly, I've been avoiding confirming a limit for two reasons.  The main one is that we're still debating a good cut off point...  The other is to avoid people trying to "game" the system and stop playing a character right before they go over the cut off, effectively going into Season 4 with the "max" starting karma.  This is a lesser concern though, really.  If people want to be cheesy and work around the system, well...  *shrug*  They're only hurting themselves, I think.  (I know at least one player who started new characters at Gen Con this year specifically to earn some karma for Season 4.  I'm tempted to force everyone to start over ;))

@Walks:  The Perks will be for the new character.  They're minor, so you won't have a significant advantage over a "newbie" characters, but it's a little bonus still.

Bull

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #26 on: <09-12-10/1810:37> »
Sadly Bull I get that.

I could care less about starting over myself but then again I'm pretty sure I have more karma earned that will be allowed for one.

Also I don't care cause I like makeing new characters and playing them.
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <09-15-10/2201:45> »
I understand the thought of starting everyone over Bull, but I made a missions character and because of other commitments (specifically to Catalyst and Shadowrun) I have only gotten to play the character twice in two years. So I have very minimal karma, but feel I am starting to get somewhere with the character. To have to start over would be slightly disheartening

Walks Through Walls

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #28 on: <09-15-10/2225:08> »
Well, last conversation I heard Bull informally discussing the karma cap, it was in the "over 100 karma, maybe even 200+" range, so I don't think a character that's been played only a couple times needs to worry about it.

Whatever they finalize the 'promotion' cap at, you'll have to play a LOT of Missions to hit it.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <09-16-10/0133:04> »
At this point, I'll say "Under 50 is safe".  I'm not going to wipe out everyone just for the sake of it :)  It will very likely be higher than 50, but dunno exactly where the cut off will be yet. 

Hopefully I'll have that done soon.

Bull