Shadowrun General > The Secret History

Arthur Vogel is dead? Damien Knight in bed with the bugs?

(1/6) > >>

belaran:
Hi,

Reading Dark Terrors, it seems to me that Arthur Vogel has been killed, during the Detroit "terror attacks", which seems to an inside organised by the bugs infesting Ares. It also seems like Damien is playing their game. And there is no word on Cross and his Seraphim, which were supposed to oppose the bugs.

So am I write to assume that, after Vogel's death, the bugs are more/less in control of Ares, and are just being fight off by semi-renegade Firewatch's teams ? Or does anybody read the published content differently ?

firebug:
I missed the part saying Vogel was killed.  My reading of Sticks' audio recordings and what other people had said lead me to believe that Insect Spirits are rapidly gaining power, but aren't in control of Ares yet, and this may be connected to Damien Knight's loss of total leadership to Vogel.  Without knowing if Vogel was killed, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Damien Knight is still actually against the bug spirits, and is aware they are actually trying to take his company from him.  Possibly because they know that Ares has beaten them once before, and want to make sure that strength is theirs, though this kind of logic could probably only come from the shamans, not the bug spirits themselves.

ShadowcatX:

--- Quote from: firebug on ---I missed the part saying Vogel was killed.  My reading of Sticks' audio recordings and what other people had said lead me to believe that Insect Spirits are rapidly gaining power, but aren't in control of Ares yet, and this may be connected to Damien Knight's loss of total leadership to Vogel.  Without knowing if Vogel was killed, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Damien Knight is still actually against the bug spirits, and is aware they are actually trying to take his company from him.  Possibly because they know that Ares has beaten them once before, and want to make sure that strength is theirs, though this kind of logic could probably only come from the shamans, not the bug spirits themselves.

--- End quote ---

I don't agree with your last sentence. Insects know how to work together to take on a threat to a hive and they can rank the threats to the hive (as far as I understand). The very nature of bug spirits make them very well suited for infiltration and conquering. Finally, high powered bug spirits are exceptionally intelligent, and even medium force spirits are as intelligent as an average person.

belaran:
Just to be clear, this is the statement making me feel Arthur Vogel is no longer with us:

"Among those currently reported as missing are several members of the Ares board of directors, most prominently Arthur Vogel, who is one of the corporation’s current major stockholders and had arrived in Detroit only three hours ago after a long and extensive tour of the corporation’s holdings worldwide."

The fact that Vogel called an emergency meeting to discuss the "leadership of the corporation", then gets killed (by the bugs) , leading Damien Knight to assume full control, is what led me to think he is either allied or instrumented by the bug. But I'm a bit baffled by the lack of information on Leonard Aurelius (re)actions. (maybe it's covered in Street Lethal, which was supposed to be released before Dark Terrors).

firebug:
What're the chances Arthur Vogel comes back, now a fleshform bug spirit?  You can never assume "missing" means something so clean as " only dead" in Shadowrun, after all.

--- Quote from: ShadowcatX on ---I don't agree with your last sentence. Insects know how to work together to take on a threat to a hive and they can rank the threats to the hive (as far as I understand). The very nature of bug spirits make them very well suited for infiltration and conquering. Finally, high powered bug spirits are exceptionally intelligent, and even medium force spirits are as intelligent as an average person.

--- End quote ---

That's true.  In that case I really do wonder if that's what's happening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version