NEWS

[SR4] House Rules

• 591 Replies

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #210 on: <09-22-11/1459:04> »
This begs the question-can a person be latent one and have the other? A mage who burns out and suffers total magic loss and then becomes a technomancer later? Seeing as Essence Loss isn't the only way to burn out ^_^

conceivable, though i'd say no, it would lead to players getting one and having latent other, eventually they'd argue that it just makes sense to allow both at the same time. so, no.

my reasoning would be that the change a person goes through in becoming a mage or TM "uses up" the option. like having a single spark to light one of 2 candles. most people can't even get one candle to light, the lucky few that light one (Mana or Resonance), have lost the option to light the other. maybe think of mana/resonance as a double ended, (essence) foot long candle. you can burn from one end or the other, assuming you even get it lit.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #211 on: <09-23-11/0543:39> »
Yeah, good luck. If you go with the multiple implanted kink bombs idea...you might scratch him with that one.

Hey I see it this way, even if all i do is give him a horrible case of heartburn, it might make him think twice about eating someone else.  I've done my duty.  Another thing is even if I die, I'll still be the guy who will have axed a dragon.
Living the Electronic Dream

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #212 on: <09-23-11/0545:38> »
This begs the question-can a person be latent one and have the other? A mage who burns out and suffers total magic loss and then becomes a technomancer later? Seeing as Essence Loss isn't the only way to burn out ^_^

conceivable, though i'd say no, it would lead to players getting one and having latent other, eventually they'd argue that it just makes sense to allow both at the same time. so, no.

my reasoning would be that the change a person goes through in becoming a mage or TM "uses up" the option. like having a single spark to light one of 2 candles. most people can't even get one candle to light, the lucky few that light one (Mana or Resonance), have lost the option to light the other. maybe think of mana/resonance as a double ended, (essence) foot long candle. you can burn from one end or the other, assuming you even get it lit.

I still like the idea that the Potasium crystals prevent the application of mana skills, due to brain damage.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #213 on: <09-23-11/0917:42> »
Couldn't you do the same thing with a hammer?  Enough concussions and brain damage...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #214 on: <09-23-11/0921:18> »
Final thoughts, Charisma is never scary. Shouldn't be used for Intim rolls. Find something else. And for the love of Ghost, roleplay it. One of my favorite scenes was actually an intimidation scene. First thing my char did when he walked in the room was shoot the bastard in the leg. THEN he started with the torture... And it still took five rolls to finally get the average shmoe to break down... Cause my ghoul had crap Charisma!!!!

Making someone believe that you'll kill them is easy.

Making them believe that you won't kill them if they help you, is not as easy.

If you don't think that charisma is scary, then you've never met a psychopath.  At least, not that you know...

Remember that a character who has burned out still has a magic attribute, even if that attribute is zero.
and...

SR4a P82
MagIc/resonance
In order to possess either Magic or Resonance , a character has to first
purchase either the Adept, Magician, Mystic Adept, or Technomancer
qualities (see Quality Descriptions, p. 90). Purchasing Adept, Magician,
or Mystic Adept gives the character a Magic attribute of 1. Purchasing
the Technomancer quality gives the character a Resonance attribute of
1. A character can possess either Magic or Resonance—never both.

Also Unwired p. 37
Latent Technomancer
Cost: 5 BP
A character with this quality starts the game as a normal,
mundane character. When she starts the game, this character has
no Resonance attribute or related skills, and may not spend BP on
them. This quality may not be taken with any quality that confers
a Magic or Resonance attribute.

BTW I know it's kind of crap already, but the house rules sticky is not the best place for discussions.
This is supposed to be a thread where people come in with half baked ideas that have had no play testing, and everyone ignores them or makes them feel bad.
« Last Edit: <09-23-11/0941:07> by Kontact »

Valnar

• Chummer
« Reply #215 on: <09-23-11/0956:03> »
Yeah, the mostly ignoring part was kinda annoying for me, too ;D I'm not feeling too bad about it though, I'll just take it that the House Rules I created are perfect and beautiful :P

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #216 on: <09-23-11/1423:08> »
Couldn't you do the same thing with a hammer?  Enough concussions and brain damage...

Yep :D. Just apply the rules for Magic Loss!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #217 on: <09-23-11/1644:47> »
Either that, or you have a brain damaged Magician with power beyond his ability to understand or react properly with.

I can just see him fireballing the Ice Cream Man because he wouldn't stop.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #218 on: <09-23-11/2154:19> »
Yeah... Brain damage may lower the mental attributes. Which would affect drain-linked attributes, but may not affect their magical prowess. Oh gods... That actually just gave me a horrible idea for a run... Track down someone using magic seemingly at random, and with no cause, but is doing serious damage to the world around them, physical and astral. Find out it's someone with brain damage, very little control over their emotions, and even less control over their magic. And what would the team do about him? Guy's effectively a three year old with super-powers.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #219 on: <09-23-11/2159:49> »
Come on, they're Shadowrunners, they'll shoot him in the face and collect on their pay.  :P

'Course, I've been proven wrong before...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

k_night

• Chummer
« Reply #220 on: <09-24-11/0507:25> »
we would use him as the distraction on our next run :)

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #221 on: <09-24-11/0531:45> »
Our group would probably recruit him.  then leave him for the wolves.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #222 on: <09-24-11/0826:12> »
Yeah, the mostly ignoring part was kinda annoying for me, too ;D I'm not feeling too bad about it though, I'll just take it that the House Rules I created are perfect and beautiful :P

All the house rules I come up with on a whim have been playtested... in my heart.  :-[

Valnar

• Chummer
« Reply #223 on: <09-24-11/1053:46> »
I'm just going to go ahead and ask my GM whether or not my next Character may have severe MPD. Knowing him it probably won't be a problem and then we can playtest the rules to death ;D I really hope they hold up to my expectations, because I really like the character I had in mind when creating them :)

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #224 on: <09-24-11/2311:59> »
Final thoughts, Charisma is never scary. Shouldn't be used for Intim rolls. Find something else. And for the love of Ghost, roleplay it. One of my favorite scenes was actually an intimidation scene. First thing my char did when he walked in the room was shoot the bastard in the leg. THEN he started with the torture... And it still took five rolls to finally get the average shmoe to break down... Cause my ghoul had crap Charisma!!!!

Making someone believe that you'll kill them is easy.

Making them believe that you won't kill them if they help you, is not as easy.

If you don't think that charisma is scary, then you've never met a psychopath.  At least, not that you know...

Remember that a character who has burned out still has a magic attribute, even if that attribute is zero.
and...

SR4a P82
MagIc/resonance
In order to possess either Magic or Resonance , a character has to first
purchase either the Adept, Magician, Mystic Adept, or Technomancer
qualities (see Quality Descriptions, p. 90). Purchasing Adept, Magician,
or Mystic Adept gives the character a Magic attribute of 1. Purchasing
the Technomancer quality gives the character a Resonance attribute of
1. A character can possess either Magic or Resonance—never both.

Also Unwired p. 37
Latent Technomancer
Cost: 5 BP
A character with this quality starts the game as a normal,
mundane character. When she starts the game, this character has
no Resonance attribute or related skills, and may not spend BP on
them. This quality may not be taken with any quality that confers
a Magic or Resonance attribute.

BTW I know it's kind of crap already, but the house rules sticky is not the best place for discussions.
This is supposed to be a thread where people come in with half baked ideas that have had no play testing, and everyone ignores them or makes them feel bad.

In other words, when a Magician or Adept burns out, their magic becomes 0.  There is a big difference of a stat of - and a stat of 0.