NEWS

[SR4] House Rules

• 591 Replies

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #105 on: <03-20-11/1734:29> »
There's no bp cost for initiation.

As you read more and play more, you will probably stop awarding bp.  But, that's a thing for later, when you're fully familiar with the game.
If you've only been playing for a month, simple is an attractive concept.

Simon Le Bonbon

• Newb
  • betameth, lots of betameth
« Reply #106 on: <03-20-11/2110:22> »
got to admit: although i´ve been playing and GMing RPGs for 22 years, the complexity of SR took me and all my players by surprise. the sheer volume of rules and technology nearly overwhelmed me initially, i guess you could say it was a real futuroshock; so it has to be simple for now. you are probably right about awarding bps: i´ll look into it after couple more sessions.

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #107 on: <03-21-11/0030:12> »
The thing you also don't really need to simplify all that much is the out of game stuff, cuz there's time to look through the books.  Combat does take a freakin long time in table top SR...I usually budget that every encounter, really no matter how small is gonna take minimum an hour.  Two encounters in one session can really wear the players down in terms of attention unless plotwise those encounters have really been built up.   ...Combat is the hardest to houserule though because so many people design their characters based around RAW strategy. 

Triggvi

• Omae
  • It is all fun and games until the rum runs out
« Reply #108 on: <04-04-11/2009:29> »
I like Karmagen over the BP system, it tends to create more well rounded characters.

I use the option rule that allowed adept to take metamagic for a power point up on initiation.

I don't have shot guns double recoil penalty for uncompensated recoil.
I tend to use recoil comp per action not per IP pass.
If you do two small bursts in one IP, the recoil comp is counted for both bursts. Burst fire is a great deal more accurate that full auto. 
Full auto being a complex action only gets recoil comp once.

I don't allow possession mages.
« Last Edit: <04-04-11/2013:01> by Triggvi »
Speaking  Com  Thinking

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #109 on: <04-05-11/1450:03> »
To balance contacts out in my games I will roll per session the collective score 3/3 = 6 dice, and on glitch the contact needs some shadowrun reciprocation.  Run down a lead, find out who his secretary keeps having lunch with, teach his kid to fight, or get his client something special that will seal his deal.  Critical glitch is really fun as its bail me out of jail and help me find that gun I tossed down the storm drain before the cops do or some such.  Its even funner when it comes down in the middle of the runs.  Makes the relationships with the contacts much better and worse as when they don't help out and the relationship may suffer.
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

Triggvi

• Omae
« Reply #110 on: <04-05-11/1502:46> »
To balance contacts out in my games I will roll per session the collective score 3/3 = 6 dice, and on glitch the contact needs some shadowrun reciprocation.  Run down a lead, find out who his secretary keeps having lunch with, teach his kid to fight, or get his client something special that will seal his deal.  Critical glitch is really fun as its bail me out of jail and help me find that gun I tossed down the storm drain before the cops do or some such.  Its even funner when it comes down in the middle of the runs.  Makes the relationships with the contacts much better and worse as when they don't help out and the relationship may suffer.

I like the role-playing aspect of this house rule for contacts. Cool
Speaking  Com  Thinking

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #111 on: <04-08-11/1251:24> »
To balance contacts out in my games I will roll per session the collective score 3/3 = 6 dice, and on glitch the contact needs some shadowrun reciprocation.
Consider this idea copied. I'm trying this out next week.
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/

Vxper

• Newb
« Reply #112 on: <04-08-11/1707:52> »
Some rules from my GM that he's implemented in our current 4e game (the rules have been adjustable as we try things and either like them or hate them).  We have more, but they are more complicated and still not agreed has being "good" (mostly trying to fix how things work in the matrix between hackers, technos, and AI).

"Spellcasting is now broken up per school of spell (combat/health,etc), and specilizations must be made for each skill and be more specific (i.e. Combat Casting specilized in fire spells)."

"Karma Purchasing will stage over time. The cost (value) of Karma will be 100 nuyen times the number of karma awarded to the character with a maximum of 4 karma purchased per karma earned. This will slow the progressions a bit." - This was needed as we wanted to have bigger monetary awards for our game to allow for purchase of bigger toys to support global running, admitadley not the best rule for every game.

"Rather than rolling Program+Skill, Matrix actions will treat Programs and Complex forms similar to spells, their rating will limit the maximum number of applicable success. (Note, Attack Programs are already treated like combat spells)
Rolls will be Attribute+Skill+Appropriate Modifiers with a Maximum of the Program Rating
Results in requiring hackers to be mental heavy like AI and Technomancers. Better balance between the three.
Armor and Biofeedback Filter are exceptions to this rule, they continue to mechanically function like armor
Program/Complex Forms can be rushed, trading Rating for bonus dice on a one-for-one basis. "

"All Armor now counts as “hardened armor” equal to HALF the armor’s modified value, round down. This applies ONLY to the highest armor value of all stacked armor sources.
Hardened Armor rules now apply BEFORE rolling attack.
AP is subtracted from hardness directly, not subtracted from Armor before the Divide by Two

Together this means that someone in heavy military armor, rating 16, has a hardened value of 8. This means that it takes a weapon with a base damage (before rolls and multiple shots) plus armor piercing of 8 to even have a chance of hurting him. Only heavy automatic weapons will get past this level of protection.

Armor can still be bypassed with a called shot. In the above example this target would need either a big gun like an assault cannon, heavy machine gun, or sniper rifle, or an extremely good gunner to hurt the target.

Stun vs Physical Damage is still handled after the attack roll. So it is still unlikely for a heavy machine gun with normal rounds to hurt a tank with 20 armor with a single round. (Hardness 10 matched by damage 7 & -3 AP) but using AV Rounds the heavy machine gun can deal 16+ against the effect hardness 4 and armor 14. So the AV machine gun will hurt."

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #113 on: <04-09-11/0942:05> »
How does a tank with armor 20 have hardness 10?
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #114 on: <04-18-11/1629:27> »
Wizards?

Blond Goth Girl

• Chummer
« Reply #115 on: <04-20-11/1144:57> »
Combat - I made some house rules that simplify it and speed it up.

Also, to cut back in sheer volume of rolls, I always ask that the players describe what they are doing. 

For instance, they state that they look in the fridge and take samples in several spots for a chemical analysis to see if there were traces of blood (like NCIS).  Yes - the PC has the chemistry background and kit to do so.  That is where the killer stored the dead body.  The PC has automatically succeeded because they thought about it and described their actions in detail.  The roll only gives a time frame as to how long it takes to do the test to get the answer.

Anyone else treat rolls the same way?

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #116 on: <04-20-11/1255:25> »

I wish I could, but our group is much more likely to have someone say "whoever's got the highest Perception pool should look for clues." If anyone thinks to look for clues at all. :)

I did start awarding a 1-3 die bonus for players who describe what they're doing. We found the rule in Exalted and Scion and liked it so much we've swiped it for other games since then.
Need a random generator?  Click here.

Check out our campaign.

Triggvi

• Omae
« Reply #117 on: <04-20-11/1257:58> »

I wish I could, but our group is much more likely to have someone say "whoever's got the highest Perception pool should look for clues." If anyone thinks to look for clues at all. :)

I did start awarding a 1-3 die bonus for players who describe what they're doing. We found the rule in Exalted and Scion and liked it so much we've swiped it for other games since then.

I have always been  fan of bonuses from description and flavor. It makes the sessions come alive and adds quite a bit.
Speaking  Com  Thinking

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #118 on: <04-20-11/1701:16> »
My group has, from time to time, done combats sans dice.  Everyone just went nuts trying to make the combat as brutal and awesome as possible and everybody ended up describing actions for everyone else.  It was chaotic, but a hell of a lot of fun.

nojosecool

• Chummer
  • RE:PWN
« Reply #119 on: <05-10-11/1257:30> »
I just altered notoriety rules.  The basic idea is this:  Notoriety is busted into two types in my campaign.  There's brutality notoriety, and there's failure notoriety.  They write it into their notoriety box as "3/1" for "Brutality/Failure".

Your brutality points apply as a bonus to intimidation tests, but your failure points do not.
Failure points and brutality points are added together for social penalties as described in SR4A.

It makes more sense to me because there's nothing intimidating about a group that fails or quits a shadowrun.  Or, in my campaign, there's nothing intimidating about being the guy who got his ass kicked by a group of (bribed) ork gangers because he didn't understand that a lawless society isn't a society without consequences.
This is not Grand Theft Auto, this is Shadowrun.