NEWS

On The Subject of Negative Qualities

• 63 Replies

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #60 on: <02-16-14/1459:06> »
Actually it isn't hyperbole because that is just the kind of thing that a lot sound like they are advocating "to make sure the player pays for taking the quality", and it is exactly that sort of thing that I'm crusading against because that is simply way too punitive.
Which, as others have pointed out, is entirely your misinterpretation. If not, please point out, with specifics, the places where GMs are advocating enemies employing fish-based weaponry or locating every-single combat in fish-processing locations as Triskavanski is stating. It is, by definition, hyperbole.

Fish and seafood are very different, particularly as the basis for an allergen in the Shadowrun universe. No point in really arguing that, particularly as a specific point...

As the OP, I also don't really care about other systems like Heroes or M&M or BSG, I'm only looking at how Shadowrun plays it and how GMs interpret some of the grey areas. I personally think NQs work as a system. When it comes down to it, I basically ask myself: "Would the designers create a system that awards up-front karma for a disadnavtage if said disadvantage is not supposed to be used against a player?" The answer seems pretty obvious to me, but then I accept that I might have to sacrifice from time to time if I want to have an advantage in another area.

Anyway, I got my answers, y'all can continue to discuss if you want.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

orcmeat

• Newb
« Reply #61 on: <02-16-14/1501:25> »

These things shouldn't happen without in depth discussion beforehand with the player and explicit permission given to go ahead with them, in my opinion. Any 'wavering' on the matter and it shouldn't be done.

This is dumb, You are playing a game where death and dismemberment is common place. That's not even a DM playing to his crowd that is standard fair. Bullets fly both ways, edge being burnt means you have lasting effects. If a player has issues with possible damage happening to his character I would suggest the my little pony RPG.
Just because it has stats, Doesn't mean you can kill it

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #62 on: <02-16-14/1512:41> »
Anyway, I got my answers, y'all can continue to discuss if you want.

I suggest simply locking it if you're done with it--before it devolves further like all the others.

The following quote is a great example of these threads devolving into insults. Especially since it was never even implied that the characters shouldn't take damage (damage is wound boxes caused by being hit by an attack), merely that the player should be completely on board with anything permanent like limb loss and such because if they're not it could negatively affect their enjoyment of the character. Character death happens, and it sucks royally but it is a better alternative than having the character maimed/mutilated by limb loss and other such permanent effects.

This is dumb, You are playing a game where death and dismemberment is common place. That's not even a DM playing to his crowd that is standard fair. Bullets fly both ways, edge being burnt means you have lasting effects. If a player has issues with possible damage happening to his character I would suggest the my little pony RPG.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #63 on: <02-16-14/1537:11> »
Good call, Guns. I'll do that.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"