NEWS

Hot simrigs

• 7 Replies

Bradd

• Omae
« on: <09-19-10/2313:19> »
I'm trying to figure out what the cost should be for a simrig with a hot sim module. I had three main ideas. First, maybe it's just not possible. Second, it costs 2.5 times a cold simrig (just like a hot sim module costs 2.5 times as much as cold). Third, you just add the difference in cost of the two sim modules.

I personally prefer the last method. That raises the price of an external simrig from 1,000¥ to 1,150¥, and an internal one from 5,000¥ to 8,000¥. The second method raises the prices to 2,500¥ and 12,500¥, which seems excessive to me.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <09-20-10/0006:10> »
The Simrig is the recorder side of Simsense. The way I understand it, the raw files recorded off a simrig are always "hot", it's simply the Sim Module (the player version) that restricts access to the "hot" version by having the locks built it to translate it only as a cold version.

Think of it this way. The Simrig is the camera on the movie set. The Sim Module is your video player. The only difference between the two is that players don't remove aspects from the film as it's being played.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-20-10/0106:18> »
Imho, a SimRig is not hot, as BTL is "Better than life" - so a recording of life cannot be BTL :-)
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-20-10/0429:59> »
My understanding was that a simrig includes both a recorder and a player: "An advanced version of the trode net, the simrig records
simsense experience data (both physical and emotive) from the wearer. Simrigs incorporate a sim module." (SR4A, p. 328, emphasis mine). You can use that incorporated sim module for VR, right? I presume that it's cold sim, and I want to know what it would take to upgrade it to hot sim.
« Last Edit: <09-20-10/0433:25> by Bradd »

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-20-10/0435:42> »
Nothing I guess : I think as above that when you record, it's always "hot", there's no filter. Using the sim module as "hot" means you de-activate the filters, something that nearly anybody a little bit skilled in hardware must be able to do, since that's exactly what BTL junkies do to their sim modules.

@Irian : BTL may be normal recordings but enhanced. I think it is "Hot" if there's no filter, but the signal is rarely dangerous if you don't live extrem experiences, or if it isn't modified later.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-20-10/0437:42> »
Anybody with a little hardware can upgrade a play-only sim module too, but it costs a bit of money (half the cost of buying the upgrade). So that just changes the question to, half of what?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <09-20-10/0901:08> »
If the sim module within the Simrig is "cold", then it would cost the same as converting a regular sim module from cold to hot. It's an added feature on the recorder, so the person doing the recording can rewind and check on their production. ;)

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-20-10/1613:42> »
OK, that's what I figured, thanks!