NEWS

Need help forming my campaign

• 4 Replies

Sliver

• Newb
« on: <08-04-11/2316:24> »
I've been working on a campaign that takes place in Pittsburgh, a city of my own creation. My idea for the campaign is a combination of magic and machine, and I came up with a company creating a machine that forcefully awakens any creature put inside of it. I haven't fully decided how it will do it, but I'm throwing around the idea of it running on some ancient artifact that forever binds a spirit to your body that does the magic for you. But maybe not, I'll figure that out when I get there.

Well, I just finished the first run in which my players were hired to infiltrate Snyder Technologies and locate a hidden machine. There, they inserted a drive that stole the schematics for the machine and uploaded a virus that cleared out all data the company had on the machine. While there, they released a forcefully awakened Ghoul from the basement. And as we all know, a ghoul with magic is scary and impossible. They completed the mission, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

I want to have one of my players forcefully awaken. I also want it to have some sort of severe mental and physical side effects that make the machine more interesting. I also want the company that hired them to eventually build a larger version of the device, that awakens everyone in the city, causing chaos and a government quarantine. I also want to mix up some of my factions in there, including the Mafia, an organlegger, gangs, and an exdtremist anti-business group. If you can help give me some ideas on how to accomplish all of this, I would love the help. Thanks.
"Those who restrain their desires do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained."

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #1 on: <08-04-11/2345:51> »
I've been working on a campaign that takes place in Pittsburgh, a city of my own creation. My idea for the campaign is a combination of magic and machine, and I came up with a company creating a machine that forcefully awakens any creature put inside of it. I haven't fully decided how it will do it, but I'm throwing around the idea of it running on some ancient artifact that forever binds a spirit to your body that does the magic for you. But maybe not, I'll figure that out when I get there.

Well, I just finished the first run in which my players were hired to infiltrate Snyder Technologies and locate a hidden machine. There, they inserted a drive that stole the schematics for the machine and uploaded a virus that cleared out all data the company had on the machine. While there, they released a forcefully awakened Ghoul from the basement. And as we all know, a ghoul with magic is scary and impossible. They completed the mission, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

I want to have one of my players forcefully awaken. I also want it to have some sort of severe mental and physical side effects that make the machine more interesting. I also want the company that hired them to eventually build a larger version of the device, that awakens everyone in the city, causing chaos and a government quarantine. I also want to mix up some of my factions in there, including the Mafia, an organlegger, gangs, and an exdtremist anti-business group. If you can help give me some ideas on how to accomplish all of this, I would love the help. Thanks.
Hmm, you're way off the standard rule-set here, but the story is good so here are some things that might help :)

A) Artifact sounds the way to go (if not for the whole machine, at least for a component of it.
B) Having Ghouls with Magic is perfectly legal with the current rules, so no modifications required here (Chrona, you out there to comment? :P )
C) You've got a city-wide campaign spanning here. I recommend starting small and slowly widening the net.
D) The PC's don't have to know anything of how anything works. They're just hired to get component A from Company B and insert virus C to wipe Data D. Then give Component A to Fixer E before being found by Company B and fed to Paranormal Critter F. Whether the PC's actually find out what's going on is up to you, but I'd recommend they find very little until building up to the big crescendo of city-wide quarantine.
Note: This also frees you as the GM from having to retconn any previous information and just go more with the flow as the campaign progresses. Maybe a Dragon did it? Or an ancient Free Spirit? Or an Alien invasion? Your call, but you can see how the players enjoy the campaign and tailor the big-reveal to suit them (without them knowing ;) )
E) On forcefully awakened, this is a BIG deal. Sound out the players first. One of them may be really into it, and you can custom build the adventure around them actively going through this (Player willingly, PC whatever! :) )
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #2 on: <08-05-11/0750:59> »
I've been working on a campaign that takes place in Pittsburgh, a city of my own creation.

But there really is a Pittsburg. I've been there.  :P

(Sorry, I can't help myself.  ;D )

Seriously, though, I love the campaign concept.

It's great that you have an overarching plot - it's not wrong to just wing it, but I find campaigns with direction somewhat more engaging, in the long haul.

Slow is smooth - smooth is fast.  ;)  Do you have a concept on how long you'd like this game to run? The concept you've outlined could be covered in a single Run, or it could span years...depending on how you play it.

Char's advice is solid. I agree with all of his points - but if you have a player who you feel can handle having their character @#$%ed with, you can possibly spring it on them without tipping your hand. But you'd best be sure. I've had the good fortune of having players who could run with just about anything - being cursed, mutated, killed (for the sake of the plot), and worse. A really good player will pick it up and run with it, but if you push it too far they may not enjoy themselves. Take it slow, see how they react to the process being done to others, have NPCs feel them out to see what their thoughts are.

Remember, it's okay to do stuff to PCs that they really don't like - but depending on how severe it is, you might want to make sure they at least have hope it can be reversed.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #3 on: <08-06-11/2342:47> »
If you aimed for an unarmored part however like say the face if they didn't have a full helmet would it still add to their armor? (you take a negative to aiming for specific body part of course)

Eh there's always a way to have a character come back even in Dungeons and Dragons. I mean i "kill them" as in making them go down, however killing them off is much harder. XD meaning no body to resurrect. (they have to pay their level X 1,000 in order to resurrect a dead companion and then -1 con!) So most of them keep coming back even if they go down too far.

Want enemies to come back time and time again, have them burn edge.

It'll cause Mario Syndrome in your game, but sometimes an enemy is too good to let die just because a gun bunny got initiative on them, and they can come back with a vengeance.

For players returning, it takes less theatrics.  Some time in the hospital, a new cybereye or some impressive scars, bing bang boom their back in the shadows.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-07-11/0009:38> »
I really like that story and may just have to steal it for one of my future campaigns. Mostly, I'm going to agree with what Charybdis said, in particular about withholding information. Giving them a data set and hinting that it's important is often far more effective than actually telling them what it is. Besides making retcons easier, it also makes the item more mysterious and intriguing.

One thing, and this is strongly dependent on your players, would be story pacing. In the first campaign I GM'd, I had a single long overarching story, and the team never got any jobs that were not in some way related to this story. I learned from that campaign: don't do that. It makes the plotline monotonous and predictable, and the players will get bored of the story arc even if it's fantastic. Besides that, it's usually unrealistic that a group of runners would only do jobs that have to do with a particular happening.

Even worse was a similar problem in the game I was a player in before that, where the GM had written the story into a corner, with the Big Bad having grown too powerful for us to stop on our own, but the corp that had been interested in stopping him and backing us had backed out. The story ground to a halt, so the GM sent us on a couple of throwaway runs that suddenly felt really empty and bland without the story arc to back it up. The group (over my objections) was suddenly so "tired of Shadowrun" (in actuality, bored of a stalled story arc, IMO) that we switched to Pathfinder, which I later learned quite literally bores me to sleep, and I quit the group. The group has not yet and possibly never will return to Shadowrun. Moral of the story: vary your story arcs.

My strategy for this round of campaigns (which is working much better so far) is to have at least two story arcs running at any given time - the A-story is long term (in these campaigns those are Emergence and Ghost Cartels, which will occupy the team for a minimum of 10 runs) and very "big picture", and the B-story is smaller-scale, more personal, and shorter arc (with around 4 runs contributing to it). I alternate between the two arcs, and sprinkle in one-off fun romps every fourth or fifth run. This has several advantages:
1) Variety is the spice of life, and all that.
2) I always have the next mission in each story arc ready to go. If for whatever reason I suddenly can't run the planned adventure on a given night (say, an important PC's player had to work late, or if the players short-circuit the story somehow), it's trivial to jump to next week's run and resume the first story another night. With a single linear story arc, skipping  run is usually just not possible.
3) Sometimes a story arc may go for two or more runs without involving the Matrix guy in a significant way, or the mage, or having any big combats. If you keep this is mind the B-story can be given a scene to keep that player occupied and feeling useful in the downtime.

One final note (and it's probably too late to incorporate this) is a technique for stretching out the revelation of plot points without making it boring. You can basically get 3 runs instead of one from the revelation of something (say, of the existence of the citywide Awakenator): first, you allude to its existence almost as a footnote; second, you have it be indirectly relevant to the story of the run; and third, you send the players directly against one. I lifted this from the adventure seeds for the first chapter of Emergence, but it can apply to any big story arc.