NEWS

[SR6] 2 Questions: Infusion (Complex Form) and Range + Duration on spells

• 4 Replies

yrtalien

• Newb
« on: <12-11-21/0140:55> »
I am running Shadowrun for the 1st time ever... and as of our first game last night everyone seems happy but we did come away with two questions...

1st) This may seem simple but I'd like someone with experience to back me. If a Technomancer uses the Infusion Complex Form on his Attack (which is actually his Charisma) does he gain any benefit in the meat world?

2nd) If a Mage casts a Sustained Duration spell on a party member do they have to stay close to each other for the spell to keep working? Can they go into different rooms, different houses, you get the idea...

Much thanks in advance

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-11-21/0350:26> »
If a Technomancer uses the Infusion Complex Form on his Attack (which is actually his Charisma) does he gain any benefit in the meat world?
No.

The Complex Form only affect his Attack Matrix Attribute and have no effect on their Charisma Mental Attribute.

If a Mage casts a Sustained Duration spell on a party member do they have to stay close to each other for the spell to keep working?
No.

Range of the spell (Touch, LoS or LoS(A)) typically only matter at the time of casting.

Can they go into different rooms, different houses, you get the idea...
Yes.

But note that active magic typically leave an astral link that trail back to its creator (on the astral plane). A trail that can be used for astral tracking in order to find the physical location of the original magician.... ;-)

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-11-21/0522:14> »
If a Mage casts a Sustained Duration spell on a party member do they have to stay close to each other for the spell to keep working?
No.

Range of the spell (Touch, LoS or LoS(A)) typically only matter at the time of casting.
Then again. Rules doesn't say anymore ;-)

This is either because the intent was now deliberately changed and you now need to remain touching or in line of sight of your target while sustaining (this is probably the outcome with a strict reading of the rules, RAW).

Or the intent was to save pages and they just assumed that new players would magically know that range was only relevant during casting (this is probably RAI).

yrtalien

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-11-21/0600:51> »
Ok, expanding on the question. I just this night bought Double Clutch and am confused again.  On p145 are autosofts including Languages and Influence (Instruction)... Can a Technomage using Emulate (program), which says it can emulate autosofts, do so and use it in the meat world?

Sorry for asking for further clarification...

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-12-21/0530:05> »
Autosofts are typically used by drones, not by people.

The intent here I think is that if you have the correct qualities and echos then it might be possible to slave drones directly to your living persona network and from there emulate autosofts that your drone's on-board autopilot get to share (without actually running them directly on the drones themselves).

A language autosoft would be useful to let your drone's on-board autopilot verbally communicate in a specific language.

SR5 p. 269 Autosofts
Autosofts are specialized programs designed to increase the effectiveness of a drone’s performance. In other words, people have skills, drones have autosofts.

If you (yourself) wish to be able to actually speak foreign languages (in the meat world) then you typically need a skilljack and linguasofts (not autosofts).

SR6 p. 272 Skillsofts - Linguasoft
Linguasofts replicate language skills, allowing a user to speak a foreign language. Linguasofts must be accessed with a skilljack, and the number you can use at once is limited by the skilljack rating.

Having said that, I would personally allow a TM to get a complex form to emulate a basic language linguasoft (without the need for a skilljack). It typically only take about a week to learn a complex form (which is a lot quicker than learning the basics of a completely new language) but beyond that the gain is not huge since it normally only cost 3 karma to learn an actual basic language (that you also don't have to thread or sustain).

Note that you can also use a regular commlink for its already built-in speech-to-text-to-speech translation capability;

SR6 p. 267 Commlinks
Even the most basic of them include ...retractable earbuds, voice access, and text-to-speech and speech-to-text technologies.
« Last Edit: <12-12-21/0537:56> by Xenon »