NEWS

(SR5) Magic damage vs weapon damage

• 41 Replies

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <02-06-14/1812:15> »
Yeah, but you gotta figure that by the time you're getting into games that have enough Karma for that to be an issue, Run'n'Gun will be out to extend the firearms options.  Plus, as you surpass the Accuracy of your weapon you can start bring called shots into the mix without significant penalty.

That 's a quitk of the rules I hadn't considered. At some point you don't get better at hitting a human sized target and might as well go for trico shots.

Does that seem counter-intuative to anyone else?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <02-06-14/1815:42> »
Yeah, but you gotta figure that by the time you're getting into games that have enough Karma for that to be an issue, Run'n'Gun will be out to extend the firearms options.  Plus, as you surpass the Accuracy of your weapon you can start bring called shots into the mix without significant penalty.

That 's a quitk of the rules I hadn't considered. At some point you don't get better at hitting a human sized target and might as well go for trico shots.

What, that at some point your aim is precise enough that there's really no difference in your chances of hitting centre mass versus some smaller target on the body?  Eh.  It sorta makes sense - if your fire grouping is small enough and on target, should it really matter what that target is?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <02-06-14/1829:58> »

What, that at some point your aim is precise enough that there's really no difference in your chances of hitting centre mass versus some smaller target on the body?  Eh.  It sorta makes sense - if your fire grouping is small enough and on target, should it really matter what that target is?

That's a good point.

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <02-06-14/1849:33> »
Games with enough karma?  That only takes one initiation to get the metamagic, 10 karma, starting with 5, that is 1-2 runs, that should be just about enough to initiate and quicken the spells.  That can lead to the 18-20 dice for drain easy, combine that with decent magic+spellcasting, and you have someone who would generally not have to worry too much about regularly casting force 10 single target indirect spells, which can hold up in damage quite well before we even apply the elemental effects.  Whoever is hit with that flamethrower will almost certainly be on fire. 

While I agree that guns are very powerful, I am just pointing out that a Combat Mage can be quite capable of keeping up when it comes to damage. 

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-06-14/1926:41> »
Eh.  If you abuse quickening like that, the GM can and should bring the in-setting hammer down on you; dispelling would only be the start of things.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <02-06-14/1954:13> »
Eh.  If you abuse quickening like that, the GM can and should bring the in-setting hammer down on you; dispelling would only be the start of things.
Abuse?  I am using it for two spells, three if I use it on increase reflexes.  Every other archetype can have permanent stat boosts, but Mages cannot?  Quickening was put in the game so people could sustain spells, but when I use it to sustain a few spells, I am abusing it?  Please explain your logic here, because from where I am standing, that is somewhat silly. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #21 on: <02-06-14/2000:13> »
Eh, just keep in mind there's risks involved and you might lose them every now and then. Given how the other types pay far more for their permanent boosts, it's not a big deal really.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <02-06-14/2007:02> »
Eh, just keep in mind there's risks involved and you might lose them every now and then. Given how the other types pay far more for their permanent boosts, it's not a big deal really.
Oh, I completely understand that it is a lot easier to lose, I just don't think that is abuse enough to warrent the GM smashing you every time you try and use the metamagic you payed for.  And let's not forget, if you put a fair amount of karma into the spell, as well as have a decent spellcasting skill, you can make it REALLY hard to disrupt. 

P.S.  Can you add karma to a quickened spell after casting it?  I see no rules about it, and while I would allow it (justifying it as the Mage going back and fixing problems with the spell, and just strengthening it overall) I figured I would ask others as well. 

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <02-06-14/2011:14> »
Not to an existing spell, you can replace it with a higher karma spent version if you want but the karma on the first version would be lost.

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <02-06-14/2022:30> »
Not to an existing spell, you can replace it with a higher karma spent version if you want but the karma on the first version would be lost.
Are there rules about it, or is this how you interpret it?  If there are rules, can you point me to them? 

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <02-06-14/2028:07> »
Am I wrong in assuming that someone walking around with a significant number of quickened spells glows like a bonfire on the astral?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #26 on: <02-06-14/2033:21> »
Perhaps, it basically means they got multiple auras overlapping. If many auras at the same spot means brightness, then yes.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <02-06-14/2037:31> »
Perhaps, it basically means they got multiple auras overlapping. If many auras at the same spot means brightness, then yes.

Considering that security forces already are suspicious of magical people I assume they'd be even more likely to suspect a threat from a person with multiple active effects.

I'm just saying that it would draw the wrong sort of attention unless you can mask it, but that's a whole different kind of initiation.

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <02-06-14/2042:41> »
The way I see it is that they glow the same as if sustaining the spell through a focus, or the same way an adept glows when they have improved reflexes, STR, AGI, etc.  all active at the same time. 

That said, this is talking about a Combat Mage trying to make sure they can hurt people more.  Stealth probably isn't their skillset. 

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <02-06-14/2048:21> »
The way I see it is that they glow the same as if sustaining the spell through a focus, or the same way an adept glows when they have improved reflexes, STR, AGI, etc.  all active at the same time. 

I don't know. That is a valid interpretation of the rules, yes. One could say that it takes a few assesning successes to understand what makes this mage's aura interesting to look at - as many successes as it would take to figure out an adept's power point choices, for example.

On the other hand you could rule that each sustained magical effect is like extra foci and sustained spells are can be assesnded independently, making them more obvious.

Word of God would be nice, though. :)

That said, this is talking about a Combat Mage trying to make sure they can hurt people more.  Stealth probably isn't their skillset.

Most runner mages also run errands, walk the dog, seek rest and relaxation, and go about their lives in their off-time, too. The Troll Street Sam knows better than to carry her assault cannon everywhere because it might draw the wrong kind of attention.