NEWS

[SR5] Forbidden Arcana

• 131 Replies

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« on: <03-13-17/1511:20> »
While mentioned in the Upcoming Releases, I wanted to give this title it's one thread:

Forbidden Arcana Art…

The Chaos Mage, by K. VanDeun

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-13-17/1543:49> »
Where is this upcoming releases mentioned ? Btw, what is the best way to be informed of upcoming releases ? Tumblr seems to be unmaintened...

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-13-17/1705:29> »
Nice! Is this reminiscent of a Threats style book?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-14-17/0108:40> »
"a new rulebook in development" per the tumblr.

KatoHearts

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <03-14-17/0356:03> »
"Forbidden Arcana, an advanced book of magic rules. It has new traditions rules, new ways of doing blood magic, some Mastery rules to provide advanced ways to specialize in magic, and more." As per AJC

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <03-14-17/0901:07> »
That seems... Strange. How much is there in the magic department, lore-wise which wasn't tackled in Street Grimoire?  I'm okay with some more magic crunch, but surely that wouldn't be the main part of the book, no? Hundreds of pages of just the above would be a missed opportunity, without a great story/plot hooks/setting material, IMO. I expected the latter from the whole Tarot thing so far.

And while I like the magic part of the setting, that would actually justify the cries of magic powercreep. Or should we prepare for an advanced book for every archetype? I wouldn't be happy with that, because it'd mean just more crunch instead of setting material (of any kind) and I don't like reading hundreds of pages of dry crunch.
« Last Edit: <03-14-17/0904:30> by PMárk »
If nothing worked, let's think!

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-14-17/0910:03> »
Back in the 2ed, we got a Street Grimoire - very similar (in content) to the one in 5ed followed later by Awakenings (a second guide in magic) which was pretty cool and really brought a lot of interesting variation to the game. It feel to me that this is the aim of Forbidden Arcana. Also I would not mind some Dark Magics from Street Grimoire, being revisited and enhanced.

That being said, I'm more miffed by this guide not really being announced anywhere. Actually the "upcoming releases" on Tumblr appears to not have been updated for a while. Before, Forbidden Arcana, I was expecting the Morocco book to show up, maybe followed up by the (cursed) technomancer book.

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <03-14-17/1611:32> »
Back in the 2ed, we got a Street Grimoire - very similar (in content) to the one in 5ed followed later by Awakenings (a second guide in magic) which was pretty cool and really brought a lot of interesting variation to the game. It feel to me that this is the aim of Forbidden Arcana. Also I would not mind some Dark Magics from Street Grimoire, being revisited and enhanced.

That being said, I'm more miffed by this guide not really being announced anywhere. Actually the "upcoming releases" on Tumblr appears to not have been updated for a while. Before, Forbidden Arcana, I was expecting the Morocco book to show up, maybe followed up by the (cursed) technomancer book.

Ah, I see. Also, I completely confused it for the new Book of the Lost, sorry for that.

Yes, I agree, more magic goodies isn't bad and some things from SG need to be elaborated, etc. Although I still think various setting books would be better first, but generally, I like setting books more than crunch books. I hope this book will contain a fair amount of fluff to make it an interesting read to me as well.
If nothing worked, let's think!

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-16-17/1521:51> »
Another art preview from the CGL Tumblr:

Statue Choice, by T. Clark

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-30-17/2117:07> »
More art up on Tumblr

Elemental Master, by B. Chumley

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #10 on: <03-31-17/0023:33> »
See..

The problem is some of us are BANNED from tumblr.....

(and twitter)...

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-31-17/0840:04> »

(and twitter)...

Dare I ask...how do you get banned from Tumblr?

Coyote

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <03-31-17/0925:35> »

(and twitter)...

Must have failed some Sleaze rolls.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <03-31-17/1426:33> »

(and twitter)...

Very carefully, with much skill.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #14 on: <03-31-17/2244:12> »

Posted by: EiraHaexa
« on: Today at 14:26:33 »
Insert Quote

Quote from: AJCarrington on Today at 08:40:04

Quote from: Reaver on Today at 00:23:33

(and twitter)...

Very carefully, with much skill.

It was surprisingly easy! Only took 15 posts and about 30 hours from the time I opened my account to the time Tumblr banned me.

Admittedly, twitter took like 8 months to ban me... and I did get more then a FEW warnings.

Just like I do here, I expressed my opinion, in my usual charming way, and …

<Offensive material deleted>

But unlike here, they banned me :P 

<More offensive material deleted>

If you post more material like this, you'll find that this forum will join the list of places that have banned you--Jason H.

« Last Edit: <04-01-17/1342:30> by JM_Hardy »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.