NEWS

airport checkpoint of the future

• 15 Replies

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« on: <06-07-11/1743:27> »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Airlines-aim-to-take-hassle-apf-3303005689.html?x=0&.v=7

What's interesting is the part about people being risk assessed based on passport data. Sounds like the perfect target for real life black hats working for various groups. "honest sir, my passport data clearly classify me as perfectly safe"...
Want to see my flash new jacket?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <06-07-11/2210:30> »
What?  You mean we're not supposed to like being sexually assaulted and put through a microwave oven every time we fly?

Then again, if it got my Mile High Ticket punched.   ;)  Oh, not that kind of sexuality.  Right, bad thing then.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #2 on: <07-27-11/1640:05> »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Airlines-aim-to-take-hassle-apf-3303005689.html?x=0&.v=7

What's interesting is the part about people being risk assessed based on passport data. Sounds like the perfect target for real life black hats working for various groups. "honest sir, my passport data clearly classify me as perfectly safe"...
To say nothing of the shitstorm that might come if this system starts coming off as bigoted.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #3 on: <07-28-11/0359:50> »
There are already those who are claiming it's bigoted. I moonlight at the local airport as a security supervisor and work with TSA and Port Authority a lot. No matter what system they come up with, someone...somewhere is going to complain. And there lies the problem. To make things secure is relatively easy. To do it without doing things like, violating individual rights; that's hard.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <07-28-11/0748:51> »
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
  -  Ben Franklin

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #5 on: <07-28-11/0850:05> »
I wonder if there ever will be a thinker like ol' Ben involved in politics ever again.

EmperorPenguin

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-28-11/0920:10> »
It does not happen often, but every now and then I think a good idea actually survives its way through government.

There is also the matter of environment.  Thinkers are not rare in politics, but big change is.  When your primary goal is to stay in power, you tend to protect the status quo.  If you have to make changes, make very little ones, or very popular ones, or if you're lucky - both!

To be involved in the formation of a brand-new country - that's exciting!  That is the calling of dynamic individuals!  That's where great ideas are generated!  Check out the fledgling new governments around the globe - that's where you'll find thinkers!  But you might also find a bunch of power players from the previous one.

Basically, if you feel your government is stagnant, do your part to tear it down and hope the right people build another one!

(Note: I do not actually advocate attempting to tear down your government.  The status quo is nice and I want my social services stable, please  :P .)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <07-28-11/1207:33> »
Yeah, after a few centuries, especially with a bureaucracy, the country is well past it's "Best Before" date and things start happening...

Or, um, don't...

EDIT:  Also, with the new US Airport security techniques...  Who the hell thought that "Let's molest people or put them in a microwave oven, for safety.  And the children!" was a small or popular change?
« Last Edit: <07-28-11/1209:47> by CanRay »

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #8 on: <07-28-11/1720:51> »
Yeah, after a few centuries, especially with a bureaucracy, the country is well past it's "Best Before" date and things start happening...

Or, um, don't...

EDIT:  Also, with the new US Airport security techniques...  Who the hell thought that "Let's molest people or put them in a microwave oven, for safety.  And the children!" was a small or popular change?
It's not so much popular or small, but it's a hell of a lot more popular to the people running the airports than "9/11-Electric Boogaloo" being on their shoulders. I also blame republicans, but that's because I'm aware of Chris Baker and share a state with Michele Bachmann, so I'm a bit biased.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #9 on: <07-28-11/2015:16> »
Hmf... cue old rant I had on this many moons ago...

I would like to now direct everyone's attention to the Israeli airport security model.
- Short link for bloggers and tweeters:  http://is.gd/hef0X
- Full link for eMails and websites:   http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/744199---israelification-high-security-little-bother

Here are some key points:
- Israel is smack bang in the centre of middle-east wars and politics, and has been for 50 years
- Despite facing dozens of potential threats each day, the security set-up at Israel's largest hub, Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport, has not been breached since 2002 (and this was a single handgun by an authorised staff member, just in the wrong place)
- The goal at Ben-Gurion is to move fliers from the parking lot to the airport lounge in a maximum of 25 minutes. That's:
       - park your car
       - Check-in your luggage and get your ticket
       - Go through security
       - Go sit and relax in the departure lounge.
       - 25 minutes.
- There are no radiation full body scanners, and very few pat-down/strip-searches
- All airport staff are trained to look at your BEHAVIOUR, not just what your carrying.

Terrorists don't behave like average people.
Terrorists who are about to blow someone up don't behave like average people
Terrorists who are about to blow themselves up really don't behave like average people.

Israel has a very diverse community of residents, tourists and other travellers. Any person could be wearing a veil, or a beard, or a large hat, or strange clothing, all for perfectly valid religious or cultural reasons. A western airport security model couldn't profile any type of terrorist threat in this environment, but the Israeli's can narrow down their risks very quickly, and utilise 6 layers of airport security in 25 minutes

Basically, the Israeli model still uses some nice tech, but most of the security is performed by highly trained staff. It's a bit intimidating/creepy when the pretty lady behind the check-in counter counter is watching your eyes the whole time she's talking to you, but I'd much rather that than a TSA groping...
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <07-28-11/2141:16> »
I still can't see how groping someone is going to make things safer.

The microwave I can almost see as having some uses, but far too many abuses as well...  (And the fact that I can call it "The Microwave" and people know what I'm talking about should say something as well about it.).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #11 on: <07-29-11/0308:18> »
There is the appearance of security and there is actual security.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #12 on: <07-29-11/0542:18> »
There is the appearance of security and there is actual security.
Bingo...and TSA is all about appearance (and OMG ridiculous costs....)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <07-29-11/0729:12> »
Behavior is public.  It's what each person projects, often unknowingly, to everyone in the vicinity about their thoughts and feelings.  Even a professional actor would have difficulty projecting the correct behavior if said actor were plotting a very real suicide bombing.  That would take either years of training, or the correct dosage of drugs.  Observing behavior is passive.

Scanning and patdowns are active.  The TSA personnel are invading the private space of the person being examined.  An examination is active and intrusive.  This is the reason many people find it a violation.

And they are correct.  It IS a violation.  Going from passive to active makes the assumption that the people being examined are guilty of some crime.  It is "Guilty until proven Innocent" and it is completely contrary to American values.

It is also easy to bypass, as small or private airports are not subject to TSA scrutiny.  A criminal could load up a small plane with, say, explosives or biological agents and take off from a tiny airfield outside of TSA jurisdiction and then fly it into whatever.  And this could happen at a dozen locations for maximum saturation.  And it completely bypasses the "security" of the big airports.  Hell, he could drop chemical agents via a crop duster onto a busy highway during rush hour, and no one at the TSA would be the wiser until it's too late.

So, this increased "security" is nothing more than a set-up engineered to get the public used to being scrutinized by their government.

As for blaming Republicans or Democrats for X issue, each group is simply there to ensure that their party gets as many members into office as possible.  This generates revenue for their party and their members.  Political and social ideas are secondary to that objective, anymore.  Each side has performed the same actions that they vilify the other for, often just before, after, or during the same "objectionable" action.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #14 on: <07-29-11/0837:38> »
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
  -  Ben Franklin

Very, VERY true.

However, I wish people would wise up a bit. I am not "infringing on your rights" when I ask for an ID, or when I have to chase down a delivery driver attempting to drive across the airport ramp because he wants to get to the other side in a hurry, or when a truck driver is late and I have to check his paperwork in the rain. Don't make routine security into and excuse to be annoying and wrap it in a fake cloak of moral richeousness, please.
« Last Edit: <07-31-11/0437:06> by Mystic »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.